Annoying Sport Announcers

~Bear

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aikman cannot stfu for anything.  He talks from whistle to snap & it's f'ing annoying.

Buck in the past few years has developed a horrid habit...

That ball issssss CAUGHT!  That ball isssss GONE!  That pass isssssss INTERCEPTED!  That flag isssss holding!

omg fml

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

5 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I've really come to appreciate Doc Emrick lately. Most other announcers are playing checkers; he's playing Mad Libs.

His performance on the EA NHL games is awful. I can't play with the announcers on because it literally grates on me so much my gameplay suffers. 

I miss the days of Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

24 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

His performance on the EA NHL games is awful. I can't play with the announcers on because it literally grates on me so much my gameplay suffers. 

I miss the days of Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

PC gaming, I like being stuck with Madden & NHLs 2008.  Michaels & Madden, Hughson & Simpson.

@2001mark

Matt Millen calling games on the B1G network.

As a resident of SE Michigan who remembers him as the most incompetent team president in the history of the NFL, I instantly mute him when I switch one of his games on. How can a man, who so obviously knows absolutely nothing about talent evaluation, offer anything of value to a broadcast.

Phil Simms drives me nuts, but that's well covered territory.

I don't know who the announcers were, but I have this story. A few weeks ago I was watching Texas State play Ohio U. Texas State had the ball 1st and goal with about a minute left and they were down 31-28. The color commentator kept stating over and over how he couldn't understand why they were trying to score a touchdown. He wanted them to run the clock down to 1 second and kick a field goal. The play by play guy was trying in his nicest way to explain without exposing his partner as an idiot that Texas State was down by 3 and a field goal would only tie the game. The color guy still didn't get it. Texas State scored a TD quickly, gave the ball back, and when OU scored on their first play the color guy became indignant about "they left too much time on the clock for Ohio. This is what I'm saying They should've run the clock down and kicked a field goal" and finally that's when the PBP guy said "but they were down by 3. A field goal would've tied it" and the color guy finally realizing he'd been suggesting an idiotic strategy for the last 5 minutes said nothing for the next two minutes. 

I shared that example to say that those low level FBS games don't get the best and brightest coverage, but I could absolutely see Simms not being able to subtract 28 from 31 and clamoring for a team to run the clock down so they could tie the game with no time left when they're first and goal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

That's John Sterling, and he's not half as bad as his partner. JAWN, JAWN, WHAT'S THE COUNT, JAWN

Seriously, I feel like a historically dignified franchise like the Yankees should have a Scully-like immortal voice at the mic. How the heck did they wind up with these guys??

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Seriously, I feel like a historically dignified franchise like the Yankees should have a Scully-like immortal voice at the mic. How the heck did they wind up with these guys??

Sterling's been doing Yankee games on the radio since 1989.  Mel Allen's the only other Yankee broadcaster I can remember who had such longevity with them though there was a roughly decade long gap in his tenure.  Yankee ownership's always liked big time homers which is why Sterling's lasted so long.

21 hours ago, tp49 said:

Sterling's been doing Yankee games on the radio since 1989.  Mel Allen's the only other Yankee broadcaster I can remember who had such longevity with them though there was a roughly decade long gap in his tenure.  Yankee ownership's always liked big time homers which is why Sterling's lasted so long.

Contrast to that, across town in Queens, the Mets' broadcast teams (radio and TV) are considered one of the best in MLB.

23 hours ago, tp49 said:

Phil Rizzuto was there for a pretty long time, wasn't he? 

Sterling is frustrating because he'd be one of the all-time greats on voice alone if he weren't such a pompous, ill-informed blowhard. Couple'a Yankee fans have told me he was much better when he called the games with Michael Kay because he didn't have to carry the whole load himself while working with an idiot (though I suspect Michael Kay is merely a different kind of idiot). It's amazing that a major-league broadcaster can be that incompetent as to drag a partner down THAT much. Lots of people in Chicago thought Ron Santo dragged Pat Hughes down, but not in the sense that Pat never knew how many outs were in the inning.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't say Sean McDonough (sp?) is a bad sports announcer, it'a just his voice is so annoying and is always in the same tone. Maybe like a Chris Collinsworth that actually isn't totally insufferable. 

Him I'm and the aforementioned Phil Simms, Jim Nantz, Troy Aikman, Joe Buck, and Chris Collinsworth. Also Chris Fowler isn't great at college football either . 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

31 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Honestly, is there an NFL announcing crew that is widely liked? I'm hard pressed to find one.

I cant think of one myself. I love Al Michaels, but him and Collinsworth don't mesh very well at all, so that's out.

The best football ones seem to be in college for me. Musberger/Herbstreit is my all-time favorite.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don't mind Al Michaels, and I liked Tirico on Monday Night Football, it's just they both had either Jon Gruden or Chris Collinsworth alongside them. Hard to keep the volume on with those guys in the booth. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I cant think of one myself. I love Al Michaels, but him and Collinsworth don't mesh very well at all, so that's out.

The best football ones seem to be in college for me. Musberger/Herbstreit is my all-time favorite.

See, I was never a fan of Musberger. 

Lets just get MorganFreeman up to speed on football and he can do games. 

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

7 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Honestly, is there an NFL announcing crew that is widely liked? I'm hard pressed to find one.

I'm not sure there are many crews anywhere widely liked.

Unpopular opinion - I loved Marv Albert doing prime time NFL radio.  

@2001mark

I feel spoiled being from Wisconsin as we have had a great run of broadcasters. Way too many to list, but you know who they are. The worst team I've had to endure is Rory Markus and Del Crandall on Brewers telecasts, 

As far as national goes, in sick of Joe Buck, the Dude is seemingly everywhere. And his voice is grating, definitely not as great as his father. 

I dont mind Cris Collinsworth, but since Tirico is with NBC, I'd love for him to be in the booth for Sunday Night Football Night in America. 

packchampionslfroh.png

23 minutes ago, KDubK414 said:

I feel spoiled being from Wisconsin as we have had a great run of broadcasters. Way too many to list, but you know who they are. The worst team I've had to endure is Rory Markus and Del Crandall on Brewers telecasts, 

As far as national goes, in sick of Joe Buck, the Dude is seemingly everywhere. And his voice is grating, definitely not as great as his father. 

I dont mind Cris Collinsworth, but since Tirico is with NBC, I'd love for him to be in the booth for Sunday Night Football Night in America. 

Doesn't everyone like their local broadcasters a ton though?

There's a certain advantage to getting to be a homer and playing primarily to an audience that identifies with your one team.  Pretty much any MLB team that dates before the 1993 expansion has some legendary announcer (at least to the locals).

The reason I don't get too bogged down in hating the national guys is because it's a hard job.  Sure, sometimes one of them says something like "they really want to convert this third down."  But they have to deal with the balance of too much talking vs. dead air.  If they all suck maybe it's a no-win situation. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived