Annoying Sport Announcers

~Bear

23 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Doesn't everyone like their local broadcasters a ton though?

Yes.  I love the Bengals radio guys and most outsiders would probably find them unlistenable. Dave Lapham openly cheers like a fan on the radio. It's great.

But that can change too. I grew up with Marty Brennaman and I used to be a huge fan, listening to him on the radio while I had the TV volume muted was a regular occurrence, and I was probably among the last generation to fall asleep to a baseball announcer on the radio. That was him to me like Vin Scully was to Dodgers fans, but then Joe Nuxhall passed away and he turned into a grouchy old man really quickly. 

His crusade against Joey Votto a couple years ago because he takes a lot of walks was disgusting. Really showed his age and his distrust of stats like on base percentage. He hasn't aged with the game like Scully did. He took a huge portion of the fanbase, the brain dead morons still stuck in the 70's with the Big Red Machine, and turned them on the best player we've had since Barry Larkin. When he couldn't appreciate Votto's greatness or Homer Bailey's no-hitters because Bailey was short with him in the past, that's when I could no longer listen to him. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Yes.  I love the Bengals radio guys and most outsiders would probably find them unlistenable. Dave Lapham openly cheers like a fan on the radio. It's great.

But that can change too. I grew up with Marty Brennaman and I used to be a huge fan, listening to him on the radio while I had the TV volume muted was a regular occurrence, and I was probably among the last generation to fall asleep to a baseball announcer on the radio. That was him to me like Vin Scully was to Dodgers fans, but then Joe Nuxhall passed away and he turned into a grouchy old man really quickly. 

His crusade against Joey Votto a couple years ago because he takes a lot of walks was disgusting. Really showed his age and his distrust of stats like on base percentage. He hasn't aged with the game like Scully did. He took a huge portion of the fanbase, the brain dead morons still stuck in the 70's with the Big Red Machine, and turned them on the best player we've had since Barry Larkin. When he couldn't appreciate Votto's greatness or Homer Bailey's no-hitters because Bailey was short with him in the past, that's when I could no longer listen to him. 

You should hear Vikings radio guy Paul Allen.  Any time something exciting happens, he gets really excited and it sounds like a good thing for the Vikes...sometimes it takes a few seconds to realize "crap; it wasn't a big pass play it was an interception and the Bears DB is taking it to the house."  Admittedly, I don't like that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Doesn't everyone like their local broadcasters a ton though?

There's a certain advantage to getting to be a homer and playing primarily to an audience that identifies with your one team.  Pretty much any MLB team that dates before the 1993 expansion has some legendary announcer (at least to the locals).

The reason I don't get too bogged down in hating the national guys is because it's a hard job.  Sure, sometimes one of them says something like "they really want to convert this third down."  But they have to deal with the balance of too much talking vs. dead air.  If they all suck maybe it's a no-win situation. 

Yeah but, it's weird here. We've had Mr. Baseball calling Brewers games since 1970. We've had the broadcast teams of Jim Irwin and Max McGee or Wayne Larrive and Larry McCarren for Packers games. Ted Davis for Bucks games on the radio, and Jim Paschke doing telecasts for both the Bucks and Brewers. Along with Jon McGlocklin, and now Gus Johnson. Matt Lepay for the Badgers. Steve "The Homer" True for Marquette. Aaron Sims for the Admirals. And Matt Vasgersian, Daron Sutton, Brian Anderson teamed with Bill Schroeder on the TV side for the Brewers. I'd say we've been blessed. 

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived