World cup of hockey, success or failure

Thomas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we defining success from a fan's standpoint, a player's standpoint, or the league's standpoint. Because one of those three has VERY different criteria.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Going with failure. Empty seats, gimmick teams, injuries, seeming lack of buzz. With the Olympics there is such an overarching sense of national pride that you get non-hockey fans watching games and actually caring. This event has failed to attract non-hockey fans, and if I dare say, even hockey fans.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Probably a wash.  I know I've been half jokingly boycotting the thing because I don't want to reward counter Olympic programming err competition, yet it wasn't as if it fell on its face either.

WCH could work perfectly with guaranteed Olympic participation.  Not as some proxy bargaining chip.  A big hockey tourney every 2 years- this one chasing the Summer Olympic coverage during Sept.  The players want both, that says it all for me.

With the North American youth entertaining & Team Europe forging to the finals, just knowing both sides will never again exist can't be a great sign.  Instead there'll be the Switzerlands, Norways, &/or Slovakias being marketed for high ticket prices... & esp hard if they opt out of Toronto for an American market.  Where could they possibly go in the US during September with football, baseball, golf, & the rest?  

Montreal?  Vancouver?  Pittsburgh?  Minneapolis?  Buffalo?  

Overseas to Europe seems like they might as well just fly to the Olympics for the same costs.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

It's ok. I enjoy international hockey to see the players playing with guys they normally don't, but this World Cup just felt lacking. Lacks the cache of both the Olympics and World Championships. 

Kinda tired of the media darling NA team too. The talking heads who keep saying they should have made the playoff round over Russia seem to have forgotten that that's what the standings are for. I actually heard one of the Melrose/Levy guys say that "by every objective measure" they should have advanced. Well, quite literally, no. 

Tldr; Seems like another NHL event and not really an international thing. 

4 hours ago, twi said:

Kinda tired of the media darling NA team too. The talking heads who keep saying they should have made the playoff round over Russia seem to have forgotten that that's what the standings are for. I actually heard one of the Melrose/Levy guys say that "by every objective measure" they should have advanced. Well, quite literally, no.

I'm digging this new Logan's Run NHL where The Numbers show forwards reach peak performance before they're eligible to play in the league or whatever. Brandon Saad and Jacob Trouba are the future of hockey! Until two years from now when they'll be in irrevocable decline and burdens to their employers and they can F-CKING DIE FOR ALL I CARE 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We went through all of that to prove that Canada is, indeed, really good at producing hockey players. Glad we went through all of that time and money to confirm that, Gary!

I guess that if this tournament did one thing? It's drive home the fact that the American national team's mentality is horribly broken, and that it needs fixing. Whether or not The Powers That Be actually can Burke and Torts is another thing all together.

I don't think it turned out to be as big of a failure as I thought it was going to be. The hockey was certainly entertaining and more people seemed to watch it than I thought would (mind you, it could just be that most of my friends are huge hockey fans). Outside of the games featuring just Euro teams, the attendance was pretty decent too. I think the only real big downside of the tournament was that some of what they were trying to accomplish was to market it to some non-hockey fans and to the States and I think they failed there, but other than that I'd say it was good. Now if this turns into something that they have every 4 years and spread around the world (or at least Canada and maybe some northern American markets), I think it could be something. For now, it still won't be taken seriously by many.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I appreciate a variety of approaches in the NHL. It doesn't really increase my enjoyment of the game for every single team to play "smart" high-possession/high-shot (though shooting a puck necessarily relinquishes possession)/high-power-play hockey, because sometimes teams try to play that way and just suck at it, like the Hurricanes getting bitchmade up and down the ice because the refs don't feel like putting them on the power play every minute. Sometimes dull, plodding physical hockey works. 

NOT IN A SHORT-TERM BEST-ON-BEST TOURNAMENT, NUMBNUTS BURKE

"The IOC is a terrible, corrupt mess that destroys countries and human beings in the name of giant sponsorship contracts that line the pockets of a select few, now resorting to literal slave labor in order to build its opulent but utterly disposable facilities. And anything else is totally illegitimate!"

That trophy is the flavorless icing on the not quite stale cupcake this tournament was. Marchand has become a very good player in the last year. 

At at least there weren't many big injuries. Just Gaborik and Seguin and it seems like it's just a matter of when with those two. 

12 minutes ago, RedRenesis said:

That celebration from Canada was befitting of a team winning a fake tournament.  The Olympics are still the pinnacle of international competition, and the WCH has a long way to go to catch it. 

I caught that too. Notables were the seeming apathy coming off the bench, the lack of tears on either side, and the lack of families on the ice after. 

My best comparison would probably be the World Championships. People watch because it's hockey, and some people will watch because it's Canada, but it can't hold a candle to the Olympics or even the World Juniors.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 minutes ago, nash61 said:

I caught that too. Notables were the seeming apathy coming off the bench, the lack of tears on either side, and the lack of families on the ice after. 

My best comparison would probably be the World Championships. People watch because it's hockey, and some people will watch because it's Canada, but it can't hold a candle to the Olympics or even the World Juniors.

Since you mentioned it, I thought I'd ask; what's the big deal with the WJC? It's no different than the U-18s or U-16s, just hyped to hell. It always sticks out like a sore thumb to me when people mention Neidermayer or whomever with all their titles and along with the Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, World Championship gold, etc a junior title is listed. 

Any new members of the quadruple good club now? Cup, Olympics, WC, World Cup? 

Canada just won and I barely feel anything. Maybe because I wasn't able to watch, maybe cause it was against the lame-ass Europe B Team, but still.

The only positive out of this was that the Young Gunz were the most entertaining hockey I've ever watched.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

9 minutes ago, twi said:

Since you mentioned it, I thought I'd ask; what's the big deal with the WJC? It's no different than the U-18s or U-16s, just hyped to hell.

TSN lost national NHL rights to Rogers in the late '90s and had to create a marketing blitz around one of its remaining properties. Time, like a puck, is a flat circle.

Biggest plus of the night? No Bettman.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

That's what I kinda figured and the answer I got when I asked some Canadian buds a while back. It also makes sense given the time of year that it occurs to be a big draw. Just seems odd to it listed alongside some of the biggest team accomplishments in the sport. 

For the jersey collectors, I believe EPS will be getting the lettering kits that have the mesh and holes like the on ice ones. 

Archived