MLB Hotstove 2016-17

buzzcut

So, Bryce Harper apparently did play through an injury last season. It's from Boras, so your mileage may vary. However, an injury to the shoulder or neck during the season would explain his drop-off in production following the first month (aside from post-MVP season regression).

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Loria:

• Buys a baseball team for $158 million.
  • Tears it apart in a brutal firesale less than 2 years later, right after winning a World Series
  • Runs the franchise into the ground, obliterating its fanbase in the process
  • Successfully begs Miami taxpayers to build him a $639 million ballpark

And manages to sell it for $1.6 billion after 15 years. I should get into this business.

By the way, one of the buyers? None other than Charles Kushner, as in the father in law of Ivanka Trump. The second I saw "New York-based real estate developer," I knew it had to be him. The only other New York-based real estate developer who's ego-driven and insane enough to buy the Marlins at that price, just to say he owns a baseball team, kind of has his (tiny) hands full in Washington right now.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Anyone else see this crap?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html

Extra innings start the inning with a runner on second?!

Never thought I'd miss Bud Selig.

like Groucho Marx said:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I don't care for it, but I can also see why MLB would want to look into this.

MLB, ideally, wants to have 162 games to be highly competitive for each team.  One way to better achieve this would be to reduce the number of games that go past 1-2 extra innings.  It's the similar argument why the NHL doesn't have unlimited overtime for regular season games....the product for the following day/game suffers from an extended previous game.  A team won't be at full-strength the day after, say, a 12-inning game because they'll be down 3-4 roster spots at least (previous day's SP, tomorrow's SP, catcher, and likely a couple relievers).  So this game gets managed differently because they're operating with a 21-man roster instead of 23-24, whether it's a SP or a RP "taking one for the team" that day or holding back on pinch-hitting because the bench is shorter.

I would guess MLB would start looking into expanding the rosters by a player or two.  We already have 26-man rosters for doubleheader days.  Don't remember how long we've gone with 25-man rosters, but I assume using 5 pitchers a game wasn't the mindset when MLB came up with a 25-man roster.

I think rosters are fine and require a manager to manage and not just substitute. At least in the NL. The AL is easy for even an idiot manager (see Francona, Terry). 

If there's any roster augmentation I'd like to see each team have an actual cheetah that they're allowed to use as a pinch runner one time per game. I'm not exactly certain how you'd train the cheetah to read the signs from the base coach, but does it matter? It's a :censored:ing cheetah!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think rosters are fine and require a manager to manage and not just substitute. At least in the NL. The AL is easy for even an idiot manager (see Francona, Terry). 

If there's any roster augmentation I'd like to see each team have an actual cheetah that they're allowed to use as a pinch runner one time per game. I'm not exactly certain how you'd train the cheetah to read the signs from the base coach, but does it matter? It's a :censored:ing cheetah!

I dunno...the actual tiger experiment didn't go so well....

The owners won't approve of a 26th roster spot until the players agree to reform the September roster rules. It looked like something would happen on both fronts during the recent CBA negotiations but they couldn't agree and left the status quo.

Brandon Phillips was traded to the Braves. I'm going to miss him, but he is declining. I always enjoyed the fiery spark he brought to the Reds clubhouse (and his awesome batting stance). I wonder how much longer he's gonna go.

At least starting with a runner on second isn't changing any fundamental aspect of the game.  Man on 2nd with no outs is a routine occurance that teams prepare for.  3-on-3 / shootout in hockey are total changes to the game that you don't plan your team around.  College football OT eliminates a key part of the game (special teams) (though admittedly I really like the set up and wish it was done in NFL.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

At least starting with a runner on second isn't changing any fundamental aspect of the game.  Man on 2nd with no outs is a routine occurance that teams prepare for.  3-on-3 / shootout in hockey are total changes to the game that you don't plan your team around.  College football OT eliminates a key part of the game (special teams) (though admittedly I really like the set up and wish it was done in NFL.)

Getting a runner on 2nd with none out should be earned.  At least in the NHL, there aren't 5 minutes of say 1 team 5 on 3 seeing how many goals they can score before allowing the opponent their own 5 on 3 for 5 minutes.  

This is a non starter from me, as I'm team-no-automatic-balls-on-bases please.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

14 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Brandon Phillips was traded to the Braves. I'm going to miss him, but he is declining. I always enjoyed the fiery spark he brought to the Reds clubhouse (and his awesome batting stance). I wonder how much longer he's gonna go.

He will get a red jacket in the Reds hall of fame once his playing career is over and I loved him in his prime, but this is at least 2 years later than they should've pulled the trigger. The rebuild didn't begin in earnest until middle of 2015 when everyone in baseball knew they should've started selling parts in 2014. Their small hauls for Cueto, Chapman, Phillips, Frazier, and Bruce will likely be the biggest failure in this management group's legacy and there's a solid chance we're still in the same position 5 years from now. I hope I'm wrong. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Getting a runner on 2nd with none out should be earned.  At least in the NHL, there aren't 5 minutes of say 1 team 5 on 3 seeing how many goals they can score before allowing the opponent their own 5 on 3 for 5 minutes.  

This is a non starter from me, as I'm team-no-automatic-balls-on-bases please.

I am firmly in this camp as well.  I know that an intentional walk attempt almost never results in a wild pitch or a pitch accidentally thrown over the plate and smacked into the corner by the hitter for a triple.  But it could happen and it's part of the beauty of baseball.  More importantly, it won't do anything to help speed the game up.  The intentional walk has all but been abandoned anyway...the time impact of this will be negligible.  I always figured it would happen because I hear enough talking heads suggest it.  It won't ruin baseball (like sticking a runner on base will) but it's not necessary.  All batters should see pitches even if there's a 99.9% chance that a walk will come of it.

Regarding the extra inning thing, it's obviously even a worse detraction from the game and I question the impact on time of games.  We have nine-inning games frequently pushing four hours.  By insulting our intelligence with ways to shave seconds off of games or ways that may or may not take time off of a minority (i.e., extra inning) games, they may placate fans who want to see something done but when the impact is non-existent, fans will be unhappy once again.  The real issues are constant trips to the mound, mid-inning pitching changes, stalling before those trips to the mound, throws to first, players adjusting batting gloves, taking every opportunity possible to go to a full three-minute commercial break, etc.  It's a difficult balance to preserve the game, make revenue, and cater to fans that would like to routinely see 2.5-hour games.  It's probably not possible...so I guess they're looking for ineffective ways that make good off-season headlines.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2/9/2017 at 10:02 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd say Francona managed pretty well this past season seeing as we got all the way to the World Series. He also pointed out that managing the way he did in the  playoffs just wasn't feasible in the regular season and people shouldn't expect to see that type of decision making used in April. The only advantage the AL has with the DH is not sacrificing the pitcher with a pinch hitter in the 5th inning when they need to get a run across the plate with 2 outs. As far as this year, I think Cleveland picking up Encarnacion is proof that they know that this year is it for a chance at a title. Even though we have a few young players, the New York teams, LA, the Cubs and others will probably be lining up to pay them more than Cleveland can. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived