MLB Hotstove 2016-17

buzzcut

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Just as they got rid of him this season, the Yankees now seem to want aroldis Chapman back

I think the GM´s work out deals where if a team one year look very strong and just a need a few more pieces to win a championship, then the other GM´s help them out by making lopsided trades so that team can win. Then the favour is returned later in coming years.  Like: I have this great player, but we have no shot at a championship, you have a great team, but are missing a vital part. I will let you have this player(s) so you can take a serious shot at the title. And then when the roles are reversed you help my team out.

What you guys think about that theory?

4 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Just as they got rid of him this season, the Yankees now seem to want aroldis Chapman back

The Yankees just did the same with Adam Warren -- who they used to acquire Starlin Castro, took him back when Chapman was sent to Chicago.

6uXNWAo.png

37 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I think the GM´s work out deals where if a team one year look very strong and just a need a few more pieces to win a championship, then the other GM´s help them out by making lopsided trades so that team can win. Then the favour is returned later in coming years.  Like: I have this great player, but we have no shot at a championship, you have a great team, but are missing a vital part. I will let you have this player(s) so you can take a serious shot at the title. And then when the roles are reversed you help my team out.

It's an interesting idea, but I think evening up later would be prohibitively hard. I'm positive some GMs have better relationships than others, but I think it would mostly have to be a player/pick that the team was looking to get rid of anyway. I think generally teams focus on evening out on a trade-by-trade basis. If you try to "make good" three years down the line, that other team might still be in their championship window, the other GM might not think you did him as much of a favor as you did, or that guy could be fired. I'm not a baseball guy, but in my hockey and football experience, "future considerations" trades are basically throwaway pieces. One step away from the waiver wire, not championship-building pieces.

8 hours ago, Thomas said:

7 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Actually, I believe there's a specific term for that. It's called "future considerations". 

I don't think that's what "future considerations" means. There's no way to codify the "wink wink" deal he's talking about. Considerations usually mean a choice of cash, a minor league player, a bag of balls, etc. 

i dont think those "wink wink" deals happen because there's no guarantee that the favor will be returned. GMs are fired all the time and you may never get your return, or he may just screw you. 

It's smart to rent a player then re sign if possible, but it's certainly a risk. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Dickey & Colon now Atlanta Braves.  Ook.

How many times have we seen two pitchers in their 40s in the same rotation?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

33 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Colon is a risky choice. He is 43 years old but he did have a solid 3.43 era six key on the other hand, hasn't really been good since 2012

I'm out of the loop on the Braves' reboot, they probably just wanted to load up with 2 cheap old guys who could eat innings & absorb stress for the young locker room.  Colon can throw forever, Dickey's knuckleball can go forever... but I would not take the over for wins on the 2017 team.  They seem to be already resigned to a losing year.

As for 40yr olds, without looking I'll say the 90's Indians with the likes of Gooden, Hershiser, Dennis Martinez?  I thought they were together not sure anymore.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I'm out of the loop on the Braves' reboot, they probably just wanted to load up with 2 cheap old guys who could eat innings & absorb stress for the young locker room.  Colon can throw forever, Dickey's knuckleball can go forever... but I would not take the over for wins on the 2017 team.  They seem to be already resigned to a losing year.

As for 40yr olds, without looking I'll say the 90's Indians with the likes of Gooden, Hershiser, Dennis Martinez?  I thought they were together not sure anymore.  

Actually you are correct mostly gooden played when both orel and Martinez left town. I guess the Indians were like the cowboys were in the 200s with washed up qbs

7 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Morales to the Jays for 3 years, $33 million.  Confirmation of Encarnacion leaving?

And if so, who will get him? He has amazing power. A team could bring him in to function as a Adam Dunn/ Victor Martinez player (dude with awesome hitting but crappy d)

1 minute ago, Rj0498 said:

And if so, who will get him? He has amazing power. A team could bring him in to function as a Adam Dunn/ Victor Martinez player (dude with awesome hitting but crappy d)

The Red Sox are being linked with him a lot.  We'll see.

spacer.png

The Morales signing is dumb. He's old, slow as hell, and while he's got good power he's not going to get any better. Full-time DHs need to be really good offensively to be worth it and I don't think a 34-36 year old Kendrys will do.

I do, however, love that the Jays picked up Cuban prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr. Our farm system isn't really that great and so getting a kid like this without giving up a major leaguer is great. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

57 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

The Morales signing is dumb. He's old, slow as hell, and while he's got good power he's not going to get any better. Full-time DHs need to be really good offensively to be worth it and I don't think a 34-36 year old Kendrys will do.

I do, however, love that the Jays picked up Cuban prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr. Our farm system isn't really that great and so getting a kid like this without giving up a major leaguer is great. 

Yeah I just read Morales stats, his obp and his slugging are mediocre and (obviously) his batting average is bad. This is not a good deal

On 11/11/2016 at 10:04 PM, FGM13 said:

That he's 23 & might be close to MLB ready intrigues me.  I'll be following his story closely.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived