MLB Hotstove 2016-17

buzzcut

Ok the brew crew are taking a chance on Eric Thames, a former MLB 1b that played in Japan he is replacing Chris carter. Thames hit 41 homers and won the mvp last year. maybe he can turn around the brewers fortunes

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Cespedes resigns with the Mets. 4 years, $110 million. 

Nice, the Mets needed him. It's a lot of money, but it's better to give too much money than too many years. Especially when it's not my money.

3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Ok the brew crew are taking a chance on Eric Thames, a former MLB 1b that played in Japan he is replacing Chris carter. Thames hit 41 homers and won the mvp last year. maybe he can turn around the brewers fortunes

He actually played in the Korean league, which is a notch or two below Japan.

26 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Dear Santa,

Force Rogers to pay Edwin + trade nearly anyone for McCutchen.  

End transmission.

I don't want either of those things for the Blue Jays. Just don't trade for Jay Bruce.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Interesting that the '94 strike scared baseball into a virtual eternity of labor peace while the other leagues' lockouts were all so successful that they locked their players out a second or even third time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Interesting that the '94 strike scared baseball into a virtual eternity of labor peace while the other leagues' lockouts were all so successful that they locked their players out a second or even third time.

There was that time in 2002 in late August I thought that there was almost a strike, but that was averted.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Baseball's All-Star Game no longer determines World Series home-field advantage.

It's now going to be whichever pennant-winner has the better record. Good.

Here are also a few things of note from this CBA:

From what I've gathered, teams above luxury tax threshold give up a 2nd and 5th round pick, while teams below the threshold give up a 3rd round pick. This doesn't go into effect until 2017-18 offseason.

Oh, crap, that ain't so good. Probably because San Francisco is a huge media market and certain people figured if the White Sox don't get free money for being poorly attended in a big city, why should the A's?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Baseball's All-Star Game no longer determines World Series home-field advantage.

Very sorry to hear that, MLB all star was the only all star game worth watching.

a few comments i agree with:

I like the game to mean something, I know I'm in the minority, but it gives meaning to the game. People actually watch it!!

It shouldn't be hard to get tickets now since there won't be any incentive for either team to win...players will sit it out and rest cause it won't make any difference.

The All Star game was much, much bigger in the 60s into maybe the 80s than it has been since it has "counted."  Probably in part because of baseball's place in our culture, but primarily because the league were much more like "leagues" than "conferences."  And the reduced player movement led to players having more "league pride."  

The problem that the game "counting" has is that just about every "exhibition" aspect to the game (including every team, not wanting anyone to pitch too long, trying to play most players) conflicted with the "importance" of the game.  And in this day and age of huge contracts and pitch counts, I don't even know whether it's realistic for the managers to handle the pitching staffs appropriate to an important game.

I guess I could deal with the game "counting" because there is no great way to decide who gets home field in the series.  But it was kind of like flipping a coin.  It added no interest to the game for me.  But I was concerned with those who take it seriously wanting to take the "exhibition" out of the game.  As a fan of a bad team, the All-Star game is a highlight of the season; just to see what that one guy can do with his one at bat.  I personally feel that the value to having fans of every team have at least one player in the game (i.e., attracting everyone) outweights the value of the game "counting." (of course, in this day and age, people will accuse of being "everyone gets a trophy" but it's more about marketing than that).  

The thing about the game "counting" was that it was a solution that had no nexus to the problem...the game ended in a tie.  I still don't think that problem's been solved.  We still don't want anyone pitching more than an inning and we still would have an issue if the game goes beyond about 13 innings.

This is still the best of the all-star games because it more resembles a regular game than the NFL, NBA, or NHL games.  And it has the best tradition, even if some of it has been watered down.

As for deciding homefield advantage...I could live with leaving it, but I'd rather alternate years as done in the past.  That actually made sense; is 98 wins in the NL better than 98 wins in the AL?  But best record's just as good as anything else (particularly iwth inter-league play).  I'm content with the choice.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Reading comments about this move on baseball forums is depressing, many applaud it and then adds "let´s get rid of interleague play as well" 

Why are people so negative about everything. Why is it better to see your team play the same opponents over and over instead of seeing a new team once in awhile.

Apparently the Yankees play the Mets 4 times in a 162 game season, yes, i can see why that would be annoying :rolleyes: 

I for one wish all teams would play each other at least once in a season.

28 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Reading comments about this move on baseball forums is depressing, many applaud it and then adds "let´s get rid of interleague play as well" 

Why are people so negative about everything. Why is it better to see your team play the same opponents over and over instead of seeing a new team once in awhile.

Apparently the Yankees play the Mets 4 times in a 162 game season, yes, i can see why that would be annoying :rolleyes: 

I for one wish all teams would play each other at least once in a season.

Because the point is to play the teams in your league. 

Baseball has a long tradition of two separate leagues, and most if us want that to be the way it is. 

Interleague play ruins that. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I am on board with interleague play but how it's structured has always bugged me.

When it first came about, my understanding was that the divisions were going to rotate as is done in the NFL.  Instead, for the first few years, there was little variation (e.g., the Twins played the NL Central and the occasional other NL team).  And now it's "evolved" into being really about forced rivalries.  I'd like to see an even number of teams in both leagues and then the division rotation, such that a given team plays each team in the opposite league every three years (alternating home and road).  The Mets would go to Yankee Stadium every six years, for example.  That would give us most of the essence of "the two leagues" but add some variety.  And Yankees/Mets (and other matchups) would still be "special." 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived