2016 MLB Playoffs

Kicking off the best playoffs in sports (okay maybe that's March Madness, if that counts) with this here thread.

Blue Jays going with their alt blues at home. Will they ever wear white or grey if they go deeper? I hope so. The blue is nice, but the grey and white uniforms are top notch.

oh, ps, New Era logos are officially here. Boo. Aw well, life will go on. Still sucks though. 

90758391980.gif

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure this is the first game all season, and in years, that the O's have worn their black alternates on a non-Friday.

I have a theory as to why they might have worn the black alts tonight.  In 2012 the O's wore their black alts in their Wild Card game @ TEX (which was their only ever wild-card game), and won.  I mean, just a theory, but I can't help but think that might be why they might have done it.  They had a lot of the same major players back then, including the guy who is pitching for them tonight (and the same manager), so I don't think that it is that unlikely.

The O's are very strict about only wearing black alts on Fridays - I seriously don't think they've worn the black alts on a non-Friday SINCE that 2012 wild card game.

36 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

I am pretty sure this is the first game all season, and in years, that the O's have worn their black alternates on a non-Friday.

I have a theory as to why they might have worn the black alts tonight.  In 2012 the O's wore their black alts in their Wild Card game @ TEX (which was their only ever wild-card game), and won.  I mean, just a theory, but I can't help but think that might be why they might have done it.  They had a lot of the same major players back then, including the guy who is pitching for them tonight (and the same manager), so I don't think that it is that unlikely.

The O's are very strict about only wearing black alts on Fridays - I seriously don't think they've worn the black alts on a non-Friday SINCE that 2012 wild card game.

Honestly, this. Also happens to be the Orioles are 16-9 in them this year too. But mostly all of what you said. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

When my Reds are not in the postseason (which is most seasons), I mainly just root for uniforms.  For the most part, that translates to rooting for teams that don't wear alternates.

My only interest in the Orioles - Blue Jays wild card game was in seeing the best-dressed team advance. I tuned in early in the game, looking forward to seeing Blue Jays in their classic and beautiful white uniforms, facing the Orioles in their classic and beautiful road gray uniforms.  Saw what both teams were wearing and promptly switched the channel to something else.  

I assume you guys are right about the Orioles thinking, but they couldn't have made a worse choice.  What a missed opportunity.  Oh, and a lot of good their superstition did them. No offense to Orioles fans, but If their loss means we don't have to see those alt caps again this year, I'm all for it.

Both the Orioles and Blue Jays looked great in their alternates IMO. I personally don't mind teams using theirs in the playoffs, but I still hope they're limited. The whites and grays are just usually a better option.

6 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

The 2012 Wild Card Game was on a Friday, which is why the Orioles wore black back then. Superstition was the reason last night, but it's just too bad they couldn't come through again. 

The white vs gray matchup would have been glorious but the blue alts for the Jays are still beautiful. The O's black alt isn't hideous but clearly not the best choice aesthetically. I didn't mind the NE logos that much but they were noticeable and everytime I saw them I just thought the player lost their authentic caps and just grabbed a New Era fashion cap from the team store before running out to the field.

19 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

13 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The 2012 Wild Card Game was on a Friday, which is why the Orioles wore black back then. Superstition was the reason last night, but it's just too bad they couldn't come through again. 

I haven't read anything confirming it, but I'm fairly certain this theory is right.

As for not wearing the black alts on a non-Friday since the 2012 wild card game, I don't recall them ever wearing them on a non-Friday before last night.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

Tonight is the first time I noticed Citi Field dropped Pepsi for Coke.  Just isn't the same.

I'm still trying to accept that Royal Crown (RC) Cola isn't still with the Mets.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

50 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Mets' white, pinstriped look is among the best in baseball.

As for the Giants, I'm pretty meh on their grey uniforms. Hard for me to get worked up one way or the other about them. 

The Mets look great.  The Giants away uniforms would be much approved if they replaced the San Francisco with the SF logo.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived