2016-17 NBA Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA has plans for Mexico City.

“The next step before we start talking about a franchise in Mexico City is to bring more games here, and we have this two regular-season games and whether we bring additional regular-season games next season or do some sort of tournament with several teams playing each other, that is something that we are looking at…

“… In terms of a franchise in Mexico, most likely Mexico City, it’s something that we’re going to look at,” Silver said. “This is an incredible market, well over 20 million people, the largest market in North America. While we have no immediate plans to expand in the NBA, one of the things that we look at is whether expanding would be additive to the league as a whole. Clearly coming to Mexico City, not just because of the huge population here in Mexico but in essence as a gateway to the rest of Latin America, could potentially be very important to the league."

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Big if true but Jesus. Why the NFL and NBA think international expansion is a good idea I don't know.

Yes there are 20 million people in Mexico City but an NBA franchise would be a distant second to the various soccer clubs. And presumably lucha libre.

There's a big difference between showing up to an exhibition and going 41 times. Plus there are still open markets in the US.

I think expanding NBDL to Mexico might be a good first step. Then you'd at least know what you have. But a full franchise? With varying exchange rates? I don't see it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Big if true but Jesus. Why the NFL and NBA think international expansion is a good idea I don't know.

Yes there are 20 million people in Mexico City but an NBA franchise would be a distant second to the various soccer clubs. And presumably lucha libre.

There's a big difference between showing up to an exhibition and going 41 times. Plus there are still open markets in the US.

I think expanding NBDL to Mexico might be a good first step. Then you'd at least know what you have. But a full franchise? With varying exchange rates? I don't see it.

At least Mexico City is more logistically feasible than London (imagine teams on the West Coast having to travel to London) also the NBA has had an international team in North America in Toronto for a while. 

However I would just stick to exhibition games and maybe at most an All-Star game in Mexico City as opposed to some random mid-season tournament. A D-League team would just be a failure from the start. D-League teams don't have the kind of money to fly down to Mexico City from Maine. 

I think we can all agree there's a big difference between Toronto and Mexico City; so much so it's not really worth pointing out.

Continued exhibitions seem the best option. Keep the games to preseason only. Or maybe a Mexico game replacing, say, San Antonio/Phoenix (like this week) or any other combo of the Texas/Arizona/SoCal teams.

I don't like teams losing regular season home games in the NBA or any other sports. It doesn't seem fair.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lol, Embiid wears his own jersey to clubs when he has a great game:

IMG_7416.JPG

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I don't like teams losing regular season home games in the NBA or any other sports. It doesn't seem fair.

I'm sure the teams that lose home games to London or Mexico City probably get properly compensated for it by the league so I wouldn't worry about that. 

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It's of these Warriors games.

Cavs are heading to 1-3 since trading for Korver.

Korver, and by a very wide margin, covered the most distance during the entire season/playoffs for the Hawks the last few years.  That's got to have caught up to him by now....

No fooling. But he hasn't played at home with them and hasn't had a real practice.

And anyway, I didn't watch with the sound on, but the Warriors looked to be hitting every single three pointer in the first and the Cavs bricking all of theirs. Sometimes one team really has it and the other really doesn't.

That was a bad show by the Cavs. The sooner they get back to Cleveland the better. This trip has been bad for them.

I've been wanting to go to a Lakers game for a while now, and it's going to happen: March 12 at home against the Sixers. I just hope Embiid makes it until then.

If it's the 2nd game of a back-to-back, he won't play.

Speaking of which, check out the location in this post.  Note that the Bucks passed on him in the draft.

IMG_1594-1100x1956.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived