Buffalo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 1:42 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

AJUNK_zpswlzdg4my.png

Nice Job...this is close to ideal. A couple things that i'd adjust (juts my opinion) 

1. I always hated the Eagles updated wing on the helmet. The cut of the decal is more rounded. The older, simpler wing (just silver w/ white outline ) was better...it had like a 45 degree angle in the front that kind of...somehow makes the helmet look like its going forward. 

2. No green pants. 

3. I would prefer old school/college font block numbers. 

Overall great job though...I know the majority of eagles fans would lose their mind (with joy) if the team ever switched back to something like this. 

Falcons, to me, are close. Right now they look like the 2nd revision of a 3 round revision process. A lot of good things but they need to clean up, refine, streamline elements to make it right. No need to reinvent the wheel, just refine it.

HELMET 

- Clean up logo, too much going on.

JERSEY

- Remove white and red blocks on sleeves and replace with black

- Remove drop shadow, use consistent outline instead

PANTS

- Perfect

7784751854_7afd8bfccb_o.png

I think the piping and uneven stripes makes the current look already outdated.  I'd go with the 2016 worn throwbacks, but a red helmet instead.  Could pull it off with either logo.  Road white jersey (red numbers), and road red pants with classic black and white stripes.  Add an alternate red jersey, and maybe a third set of black road pants with classic red/white stripes.  No need for silver pants.  No colored sleeves.  Win the SB and make the change please.  

Falcons-throwbacks-1.png

I got to respectfully disagree.  Dated does not equal modernized.  I'd vote for this dolphin uni full time - though I could easily live with the modern logo and prefer white facemasks for the Dolphins.  I love interchangeable sets, so an orange alt, white jersey, and aqua pants would be a must.  I do like seeing them in all white at home most of the time. 

a-Miami%20Dolphins%20Throwback%20Uniform.jpg

At the risk of being banned for the sake of supporting Gray for Gray's Sake (say that 5 times) - I thought one of the best looks in football this year was Colorado's Dark Steel Gray.  The helmet is stunning and the shade of Gray that Nike has in play here is what Oregon and Baylor have been using, as well as a a few others, in years past - not Pewter (Silver in Nike's world) and not Anthracite, but somewhere in between.  It's the perfect shade.  

New-Colorado-Buffaloes-Football-Uniforms

No one in the NFL currently features Gray as a major uniform component, with only the Pats (helmets, home pants) Raiders (helmets, home & away pants), Panthers (helmets, home & away pants), Lions (helmets, home & away pants - pending new unis), and Giants (away pants) having the color a part of their schemes (the Cowboys also have Grey helmets, of course...but those pants ain't gray).  However, most would classify those teams as all using "Silver" rather than a true mid-tone Gray, with only the Buccaneers using a darker tone.  

The Falcons could distinguish themselves from these teams, as well as other Black-on-Color teams (Cardinals, Bengals, Steelers, Saints, Panthers) by featuring Gray.  They could easily rotate a White away jersey with Gray or White pants, while also mixing in alternate Black or Red jerseys on top of Gray pants.  

Bringing Gray back into the Falcons color scheme, gone since the Reebok rebrand disaster, but in a modern way, while tweaking Colorado's look to keep the redesign simple and clean.  Use Red as the poignant pop color on a tweaked logo, the Swoosh logos, and the number outlines, as well as some detailing with black on the sleeves, and they'd have a sleek new look to go with their sleek new stadium.  The black & red logo would pop like crazy on that helmet.

I always thought Army's 2013 Army-Navy game pants were tremendously effective, despite how simple they were.  Add a small hint of red to that side panel and you've got a look.

size0.jpg

Here are some other instances where Baylor and Oklahoma State made the tone look really good:

26.Watch-18-Oklahoma-State-vs-Kansas-Stausa-today-8869222.0.jpg693a1ddba9bda3b1671b092bc2395eb9.jpgcorey-coleman-ncaa-football-west-virgini

23 hours ago, crosfam said:

I got to respectfully disagree.  Dated does not equal modernized.  I'd vote for this dolphin uni full time - though I could easily live with the modern logo and prefer white facemasks for the Dolphins.  I love interchangeable sets, so an orange alt, white jersey, and aqua pants would be a must.  I do like seeing them in all white at home most of the time. 

a-Miami%20Dolphins%20Throwback%20Uniform.jpg

These aren't even the best uniforms they've ever worn IMO. The pants stripes didn't match the helmet which really ruins the chances of it being a perfect uniform. I also hate grey facemasks, but I digress. If we're talking about consistency (and if you wanna through the logo in there as well), the 1997-2012 set were the peak. The striping was fixed, the dolphin was cleaned up, and the facemask was also aqua (though, that was applied about a decade before these). Yeah, the navy drop shadow (or I guess navy in general) wasn't needed, but it went great with the other colors as minimal as it was used.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

At the risk of being banned for the sake of supporting Gray for Gray's Sake (say that 5 times) - I thought one of the best looks in football this year was Colorado's Dark Steel Gray.  The helmet is stunning and the shade of Gray that Nike has in play here is what Oregon and Baylor have been using, as well as a a few others, in years past - not Pewter (Silver in Nike's world) and not Anthracite, but somewhere in between.  It's the perfect shade.  

No one in the NFL currently features Gray as a major uniform component, with only the Pats (helmets, home pants) Raiders (helmets, home & away pants), Panthers (helmets, home & away pants), Lions (helmets, home & away pants - pending new unis), and Giants (away pants) having the color a part of their schemes (the Cowboys also have Grey helmets, of course...but those pants ain't gray).  However, most would classify those teams as all using "Silver" rather than a true mid-tone Gray, with only the Buccaneers using a darker tone.  

The Falcons could distinguish themselves from these teams, as well as other Black-on-Color teams (Cardinals, Bengals, Steelers, Saints, Panthers) by featuring Gray.  They could easily rotate a White away jersey with Gray or White pants, while also mixing in alternate Black or Red jerseys on top of Gray pants.  

Bringing Gray back into the Falcons color scheme, gone since the Reebok rebrand disaster, but in a modern way, while tweaking Colorado's look to keep the redesign simple and clean.  Use Red as the poignant pop color on a tweaked logo, the Swoosh logos, and the number outlines, as well as some detailing with black on the sleeves, and they'd have a sleek new look to go with their sleek new stadium.  The black & red logo would pop like crazy on that helmet.

I always thought Army's 2013 Army-Navy game pants were tremendously effective, despite how simple they were.  Add a small hint of red to that side panel and you've got a look.

size0.jpg

Here are some other instances where Baylor and Oklahoma State made the tone look really good:

26.Watch-18-Oklahoma-State-vs-Kansas-Stausa-today-8869222.0.jpg693a1ddba9bda3b1671b092bc2395eb9.jpgcorey-coleman-ncaa-football-west-virgini

IMG_5901.JPG

I would like to see the Black helmet stay, but go with the Red color rush jerseys and the throwback pants and a red sock for the home uniform, a matching white jersey with either the color rush red pants or white pants for the away, and the black throwback uniform with the current logo on the sleeves and helmet. An alternate black pair of pants could work for a one time a year pairing with each jersey, while making sure that they went with red socks. 

im not so sure a gray jersey could be a primary. unless it was something like anthracite, i don't see gray and white being options week to week. the Seahwks' Wolf Gray in that game just replaced their white. something in the middle would have to run into contrast problems, especially with color blind viewers 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Regarding the Falcons, Super Bowl ring or not, it's high time for a change. It's been high time for probably 6-7 years. I've got some thoughts on this that which have mostly materialized over the last week. Hopefully I can express my thoughts in a way that make sense! And it may be a bit long, so bear with me :) 

I'm going to start off with the logo, and possibly an unpopular opinion regarding it: even with its little flaws here and there and a lack of animation, I still think the original is a bit more imposing, or at least should be, and is the better design. How so?

It doesn't look like much when you look at it at first glance, but really think about the falcon's proportion with regards to it's wings:

IMG_5689.GIF

Those wings are huge! That's a big flippin' bird! I'd be pretty captivated with a falcon that size. As opposed to the current:

IMG_5690.PNG

Retains the idea and it's certainly sleeker, but the proportions actually make it look like a smaller wingspanned falcon. The wings aren't as big in comparison to the head, and the only things really all that imposing about it are that it looks angry and that's the most jacked-up thick muscular talon I've ever seen. Otherwise it just looks like a really thick bird with short wings as opposed to a large, imposing one with a great wingspan. I appreciate the idea; it isn't necessarily a bad logo by any stretch and for now is serviceable. However, all the modernization and sleeking up gives it a bit too much of a comic book cartoon look and takes away from the natural imposition the original had. Certainly more aggressive, but less captivating in my eyes. In short, it modernized and angered the falcon a bit, but the extent to which it went wasn't necessary.

Of course that's not saying the original is perfect; there's much cleaning up to do in the face and wings especially, and you could stand to perk it up a little bit. But I'd rather have something closer to the original than the current bird.

As for uniforms, I'm a big fan of thier fauxbacks this year and would prefer something along those lines if you were to ask me. But that said, there's other options that could work just as well. I used to be against the idea of a red helmet, but opened up to it on one condition; that the primary jersey color be red, also. For some reason I can't really explain (and one I know to probably be unpopular, haha) I find the red-black-white look of the inaugural set to look  a bit imbalanced; I just find the red helmet to stick out like a sore thumb more than anything when paired with a black jersey. But in paying more attention to Falcons uniform history lately, I've come to find that they looked really good in throughout the 70's and 80's when they paired the red helmet with a red jersey; it balanced the set out to where it had a clear primary color and clear accent colors.

Here's a good example from 1978. Consider the balance between the jersey and helmet colors:

IMG_5692.JPG

Clearly a red team first, with black and white to go along and nothing fighting for your attention more than it should, unlike the red helmet/black jersey combo.

So I feel if Atlanta is going to go red helmet again, either go all out with red jerseys too and be a clearly-red-first team again, or don't do it at all. 

Either way, I hope that change comes soon and that it's more of a departure from the circa-2004 look than not. They'd do well to go back to a cleaner look and go from there, in my opinion.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

20 hours ago, Volt said:

I for one would like the Arizona Cardinals to add grey to their scheme.  Drop the black and white altogether and go grey and red for a "desert cardinal" look.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I put the current Falcons logo in the same boat as the current Seahawks logo in that, I feel that it's a vastly superior logo over the old one. Can the Falcons logo use a few small tweeks? Sure. 

I don't think they should go back to the old logo full-time. I don't mind seeing it as a throwback from time to time. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived