NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I saw that the Fins are wearing the throwbacks for their last two home games, which seems a bit unorthodox because usually throwbacks are spread out over the year. Of course there is the dopey obsession with wearing white at home as if that makes a difference, but could this be a soft launch for updated, throwback-esque uniforms going forward?

I sure hope so. ???

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I saw that the Fins are wearing the throwbacks for their last two home games, which seems a bit unorthodox because usually throwbacks are spread out over the year. Of course there is the dopey obsession with wearing white at home as if that makes a difference

put on a black t-shirt and go stand in the sun. 

but could this be a soft launch for updated, throwback-esque uniforms going forward?

no. they want to wear them against division rivals. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

35 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

put on a black t-shirt and go stand in the sun. 

I will, and I'll feel just as hot as someone wearing a white shirt. I don't believe for one second that the "White at home in the heat" thing actually matters. IMO it's purely psychological.  There may very well be a measurable difference, but I can't believe it's anything significant. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For what it's worth, white is actually the worst color to wear in the heat because while white doesn't absorb energy from the sun the way black does, white also doesn't absorb energy coming your own hot and sweaty body the way black does.

Oh, and that Seahawks logo is awful.

IUe6Hvh.png

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I will, and I'll feel just as hot as someone wearing a white shirt. I don't believe for one second that the "White at home in the heat" thing actually matters. IMO it's purely psychological.  There may very well be a measurable difference, but I can't believe it's anything significant. 

put on a black shirt, fly to Miami, then stand in the sun

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

There is something to this. For years, airliners were unpainted or painted white so as to be cooler. I can't provide scientific proof but here's my own experience: my airline went from off-while to midnight blue, and you could most definitely tell the difference. The blue aircraft soaked up heat. In the "maybe it's not a coincidence" department, the color change occurred after Southwest purchased Muse Air, and we all know what color Southwest's planes are now. It's not the same shade obviously, but dark blue.

Apparently the style points outweigh the heat-soaking.

MuseAir.jpg

10267757785_89e324fbde_b.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I get why teams do it, but when you're wearing pads and a helmet and socks and tight capri pants and an undershirt and gloves and cleats I feel like the difference between a white jersey and a black jersey is negligible. It's not the same as two guys in cargo shorts with one in a black tee and one in a white tee where the shirt is right up against the skin. 

I do get a kick out of when teams wear white to force the other into a dark jersey and then wear their dark pants with the white jersey thus defeating the entire purpose. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I have.  It's hot as balls either way.  I've been in heat and humidity that makes Miami seem like the arctic circle.

For every article claiming there's a difference, there's one claiming the opposite.  Here's one for example.  Is the source credible?  Doubtful - but I haven't seen anything credible that proves that there's a difference on the other side either.  Additionally, today's materials are much better at wicking and keeping you relatively cool than in the past.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5903956/the-physics-that-explain-why-you-should-wear-black-this-summer

I'm not discounting the psychological aspect of it - if you think you're hot, then that's almost as bad as actually being hot (except, you know, you won't get heat stroke.)  I am discounting the physical aspect.  It's hooey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Great!  Now I can't unsee this.

Always happy to help.  :P

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Where was that?  

Don't know his answer but I can tell you I grew up in New Orleans and Panama made NO's climate feel like a crisp fall day. 

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I get why teams do it, but when you're wearing pads and a helmet and socks and tight capri pants and an undershirt and gloves and cleats I feel like the difference between a white jersey and a black jersey is negligible. It's not the same as two guys in cargo shorts with one in a black tee and one in a white tee where the shirt is right up against the skin. 

I do get a kick out of when teams wear white to force the other into a dark jersey and then wear their dark pants with the white jersey thus defeating the entire purpose. 

Black, Dark Green and Dark Navy Blue are the only colors that I would say actually make you feel hotter. There is no reason the Dolphins should not wear teal at home especially with the addition of the Canopy. But it does not bother me at all when the Jets wear white early in the season as I feel it does make a difference.

The Dolphins don't wear white to avoid having to wear their aqua colored jerseys. They wear white so the other team has to wear their dark color jersey. 

Here's my Rules for No Good Reason: the Dolphins get a pass because white and other bright colors in fashion is sort of a Miami thing and because white at home has become a tradition of sorts for them. If they wear white at home it should always be with white pants. If they wear white on the road it should always be with aqua pants. The aqua pants should never be worn with the aqua jersey. They don't need an orange jersey. The Cowboys and Redskins are the only other teams who should be allowed to wear white at home. The Eagles are only allowed to wear white at home when they play Dallas has to wear blue. Everybody else, wear your colors at home!

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Dolphins don't wear white to avoid having to wear their aqua colored jerseys. They wear white so the other team has to wear their dark color jersey. 

Here's my Rules for No Good Reason: the Dolphins get a pass because white and other bright colors in fashion is sort of a Miami thing and because white at home has become a tradition of sorts for them. If they wear white at home it should always be with white pants. If they wear white on the road it should always be with aqua pants. The aqua pants should never be worn with the aqua jersey. They don't need an orange jersey. The Cowboys and Redskins are the only other teams who should be allowed to wear white at home. The Eagles are only allowed to wear white at home when they play Dallas has to wear blue. Everybody else, wear your colors at home!

What about this theory of mine: NFL teams should always wear their dark jersey at home. So much is made of having to play on the road so why would you do anything at all, including letting the opponent wear what is typically their home uniform, in your stadium? Don't make them feel one bit more comfortable if you can avoid it.

Trivia: Heat had nothing to do with why the Saints wore white at home in their early years. Games were rarely televised back then so they wanted the home fans to have the chance to see the opponent's team-color uniforms. It's hard to believe, but they even did an end zone for the opponent. You only see that in the Super Bowl now. This is Tulane Stadium dressed up for their first regular season game in 1967.

34ec0fc45ff9c9b66a32f7c43c1bbeff.jpg

15 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

What about this theory of mine: NFL teams should always wear their dark jersey at home. So much is made of having to play on the road so why would you do anything at all, including letting the opponent wear what is typically their home uniform, in your stadium? Don't make them feel one bit more comfortable if you can avoid it.

Trivia: Heat had nothing to do with why the Saints wore white at home in their early years. Games were rarely televised back then so they wanted the home fans to have the chance to see the opponent's team-color uniforms. It's hard to believe, but they even did an end zone for the opponent. You only see that in the Super Bowl now. This is Tulane Stadium dressed up for their first regular season game in 1967.

Where did all those people park?

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

The exact reason why the Rams wore white at home during the Fearsome Foursome years. And I love the fact they wear white at home currently.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

My alma mater, LSU, has traditionally worn white jerseys at home, save from the 12-season period when the NCAA mandated everyone wear dark jerseys at home, and now for a couple of non-conference home games.

And I hate it. As a kid in the 1970s and early '80s, I rarely got to see LSU's purple jerseys. From 1974-80, Kentucky wore white at home during LSU's three visits there during that span so newspaper photos were all I got to see of the purple jerseys. I was glad when the NCAA made LSU start wearing purple at home in 1983. It's a sharp-looking jersey, and I'm of the belief all football teams should wear their dark jerseys at home.

Throw in the fact I hate the Cowboys and that white at home is a Cowboys thing, and that's another reason I hate LSU wearing white jerseys at home, tradition be damned.

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Where was that?  

Venus. Really tho, arctic circle was an exaggeration. I've been in several Asian cities that top Miami for heat and humidity in summer (Xi'an and Hong Kong come to mind off the top of my head). HK especially seemed way more oppressive than Miami, tho the day doesn't seem to last as long. Going to Cambodia in two weeks, I expect that to be as bad or worse too

14 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I've also heard the same reason stated as why the Cowboys started wearing white at home.

14 hours ago, Gobbi said:

Where did all those people park?

It was 1967.  They all came on horseback or walked after getting off of their shift at the mill.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived