NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

My concern is that this is to my knowledge the first time a team has taken their regular helmet and altered it, mid-season, outside of the context of wearing a throwback or a color-rush game. The Jets wore their regular uniform and decided to use white facemasks instead of green because of reasons I'm not aware of. I'm worried it will start a new (bad) trend of teams goofing around with their facemasks and possibly their striping/logos just for poops and laughs.

My mix and match comment had nothing to do with players on one team wearing different color facemasks in the same game, though that would be terrible. I meant that it would not be great if the lesser brand-IQ teams started switching up their helmet details game to game. 

In the past the Jets always emphasized  at least one game in all white aka the storm trooper look or all green. They usually wear green jersey/white pants or white jersey/green pants. 

I'm guessing since they got the OK by the NFL last year for white face masks for the color rush game they'll use them for the all white game to help create some interest in what is (was?) expected to be a very dismal season. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

My concern is that this is to my knowledge the first time a team has taken their regular helmet and altered it, mid-season, outside of the context of wearing a throwback or a color-rush game. The Jets wore their regular uniform and decided to use white facemasks instead of green because of reasons I'm not aware of. I'm worried it will start a new (bad) trend of teams goofing around with their facemasks and possibly their striping/logos just for poops and laughs.

I agree completely.  This is why I'm a defender of the one-helmet rule.  The NFL, with the "color rush" rubbish, and the mix-n-match multiple pants some teams drag out, is on a slippery slope to ending up with the nauseating kaleidoscope of ugly non-sense College football inherited from the Oregon Ducks 

5 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

In the past the Jets always emphasized  at least one game in all white aka the storm trooper look or all green. They usually wear green jersey/white pants or white jersey/green pants. 

I'm guessing since they got the OK by the NFL last year for white face masks for the color rush game they'll use them for the all white game to help create some interest in what is (was?) expected to be a very dismal season. 

The reasoning is because they were wearing all white they were allowed to alter their helmets for this non-throwback, non color-rush game? That doesn't make it acceptable for me and I can imagine a future where teams invent special games just so they can switch up their facemask colors or play around with their decals. 

It's not too much to ask to want some visual consistency out of these teams. They only play 16 games and I was okay with alternate jerseys and alternate pants and the occasional throwback, but I draw the line at the helmet. The helmet should always look the same no matter what they wear below it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

My mix and match comment had nothing to do with players on one team wearing different color facemasks in the same game, though that would be terrible. I meant that it would not be great if the lesser brand-IQ teams started switching up their helmet details game to game. 

Got it and co-signed.

It's where I sit.

It's not too much to ask to want some visual consistency out of these teams. They only play 16 games and I was okay with alternate jerseys and alternate pants and the occasional throwback, but I draw the line at the helmet. The helmet should always look the same no matter what they wear below it. 

That's my major gripe with some of the CFL identities, especially the Stamps.

The Stamps have been red-based since 1948 and the white horse on the red shell has been a classic helmet since the '60s.

Mitchell_BoLevi-1040x572.jpg

Then in 2012 they decided to add a black away helmet.

mitchell_bolevi1280-1040x572.jpg

The black helmet looks even worse now that the away jersey is even more red based with the switch to Adidas.

IbjBaeE.png

The reasoning is because they were wearing all white they were allowed to alter their helmets for this non-throwback, non color-rush game? That doesn't make it acceptable for me and I can imagine a future where teams invent special games just so they can switch up their facemask colors or play around with their decals. 

Some teams could pull off a different facemask with no problem , especially if they are doing it in a throwback manner.  (Steelers, Eagles, Bears, Packers).  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Some teams could pull off a different facemask with no problem , especially if they are doing it in a throwback manner.  (Steelers, Eagles, Bears, Packers).  

But teams have been doing that for decades.  He's right, this is new.  And it's not good. 

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

But teams have been doing that for decades.  He's right, this is new.  And it's not good. 

I dunno... I think it'd be bad if the facemask was anything other than white, gray, or black.  If the Steelers wear gray facemasks next week, I wouldn't be upset.  If the Texans wear red facemasks, then yeah, it'd be bad.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, insert name said:

One team changes their facemask from green to white for a special event and we’re freaking out that teams are just gonna change facemasks to anycolor whenever they want. That’s not gonna happen. 

Well it does open up pandora's box a bit. I always assumed the mask was part of the rigid guidelines for branding purposes. It dilutes the team identities a bit.

The only time I've seen masks swapped out in the NFL is for a throwback game and then the Jets Color Rush. They did the metallic decals and mask the first time and then white mask the next (I believe).

I thought that was pushing it already but then they went and did it for a normal Sunday game. That's too much.

Teams are allowed to wear color rush uniforms during non-Thursday night games this season. Off the top of my head, the Pats and Cowboys are doing it, as well as several other teams. Is it possible that was a color rush game for the Jets? Thus allowing the facemask change?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

On 10/2/2017 at 4:47 PM, WSU151 said:

I'm good with changes to a helmet as long as it's part of a throwback, and I was okay with teams using different shell colors for throwbacks before the one helmet rule. The difference between that and what the Jets just did, regardless of color, is they broke precedent and wore what was, for all intents and purposes, an alternate helmet and they did it for no good reason. The league's never allowed alternate helmets before and I don't think they should. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived