NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why do they need a wordmark on the jersey front? I think it's needless clutter (see the above Eli Manning jersey for the slippery slope down which you can be led).

Fair point, but what tips it for me is that their wordmark, imo, is among the best in the league. But if they took each of my other suggestions and left this one off, I’d still be beyond jazzed. 

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Do you really need the warning label? Or the Al Davis memorial?

Yep, you need the warning label. I'd make an argument for the numbers, and maybe the yellow microphone sticker. The rest? No, you don't need it.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think that's a rule at all levels of football.  Not certain why though.  Nobody in history has ever suited up for a game, read the disclaimer on the back of the helmet, then said "sorry, no thanks."

EDIT: when I was in jr high, the kids on the team with big heads had to go buy their own helmets. Helmets only came in white, but our team wore gold.  We were told that if we painted our helmet that we had to cover the warning label so it could still be read after the spray painting, otherwise you couldn't play in games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

reference for those suggesting the logo should go on the back of helmets

mtXHMeJ.jpg

Another thing. I feel like this is disingenuous, because the Al Davis memorial patch is a unique element to the Raiders. Not every team will have a helmet that cluttered.

Even then though? You could fit the Walter Payton award under the Davis memorial and to the right of the NFL shield. Would that look cluttered? Yes (though less so on most other teams), but I rather the back of a helmet be cluttered than the front of a jersey.

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think taking warning labels off of football helmets may send the wrong message :D

As for the Al Davis memorial? I think a memorial to the man who very much WAS the Raiders while he was alive is more warranted than the American flag sticker. You don't see American (or Canadian) flags on the backs of NHL helmets do you? It's not an objection to the American flag in and of itself. Just its necessity on a NFL helmet. No one needs that sticker to be reminded that the NFL is American through and through. The League shield itself is modelled after the flag.

10 hours ago, Gupti said:

As much as I think it should’ve been gone a long time ago, now would be a terrible time for the league to do anything like that regarding the flag, as it would seem.

Probably. I just don't see the need for it. If you want to put it on for a week to celebrate the American armed forces? That's great, and a lot more tasteful then the camo overload they usually do.

It's just boggling that it became a standard part of a NFL helmet's design.

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Another thing. I feel like this is disingenuous, because the Al Davis memorial patch is a unique element to the Raiders. Not every team will have a helmet that cluttered.

Even then though? You could fit the Walter Payton award under the Davis memorial and to the right of the NFL shield. Would that look cluttered? Yes (though less so on most other teams), but I rather the back of a helmet be cluttered than the front of a jersey.

If the Raiders’ WPMOY wore a two-digit number, there would be no room under the AL decal.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Dolphins throwback are for nostalgic purposes not to be used as a plea to be used full time 

Also... from a business perspective, why go back to a design full time, when you can have it as an alternate and sell merchandise with both logos/color schemes? They may go to something similar to the throwbacks, but why lose out on the money? I agree that they are nice looking, but they do have some flaws that would need to be fixed if they were to use them on a more permanent basis.

59 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Also... from a business perspective, why go back to a design full time, when you can have it as an alternate and sell merchandise with both logos/color schemes? They may go to something similar to the throwbacks, but why lose out on the money? I agree that they are nice looking, but they do have some flaws that would need to be fixed if they were to use them on a more permanent basis.

Because if they switch, they could sell more with the throwback design than their current design. Then they could throwback to a different year and still have that source of revenue.

1 hour ago, Ben5 said:

Because if they switch, they could sell more with the throwback design than their current design. Then they could throwback to a different year and still have that source of revenue.

I'm just saying, the NBA has some thing where they will allow a similar design but not a carbon copy of a throwback logo or uniform to be used as a primary, and from a business perspective, it makes sense. 

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Dolphins throwback are for nostalgic purposes not to be used as a plea to be used full time 

Shame, because it’s superior to the full-time look in every way. 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If the Raiders’ WPMOY wore a two-digit number, there would be no room under the AL decal.  

Easy. Use smaller numbers for the back of the helmet. You could easily fit two didgets in the space that “4” takes up if a smaller font was used. 

Archived