NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the problem is it wouldnt be different enough to even warrant having the '66 uniform as an alternate. you'd end up with some kind of bastardization of the throwback as the primary uniform. if you did another throwback for the alternate, the 70s/80s unis arn't really that much more unique, they'd probably look like those suggested primarys with a gray face mask to most people, and no chance in hell does Ross approve a throwback to the previous identity (as he shouldnt). our thinking is, no matter what the primary uniform is, lets keep the '66 pure. 

That's fair. Overall I thought the Dolphins upgraded when they moved to their current set, it's clean and well on theme. It's hard not to get excited every time we see the throwback set though.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the problem is it wouldnt be different enough to even warrant having the '66 uniform as an alternate. you'd end up with some kind of bastardization of the throwback as the primary uniform. if you did another throwback for the alternate, the 70s/80s unis arn't really that much more unique, they'd probably look like those suggested primarys with a gray face mask to most people, and no chance in hell does Ross approve a throwback to the previous identity (as he shouldnt). our thinking is, no matter what the primary uniform is, lets keep the '66 pure. 

So it makes perfect sense just to keep everything as is then, doesn't it? Wear the pure throwbacks twice a year and leave the rest alone. I still think the current logo is superior to the 66 one simply because it's much cleaner looking.

I don't understand why everyone dislikes the Dolphins' current look. I have both the new and old helmet and the aqua is only a hair different and the new aqua is much closer to the original aqua than the aqua they used before the update. Literally every other mascot type logo from the 60s and 70s has been updated from the original sloppy, poorish drawings. Which is exactly what the Dolphins did what they did in 2013. Kept the same elements and cleaned it up.

I really hope Tom Garfinkel just leaves everything alone. Wear the throwbacks twice a year to honor the original teams and keep the current uniforms and logo and let them continue to build something with them.

1 hour ago, El Scorcho said:

That's fair. Overall I thought the Dolphins upgraded when they moved to their current set, it's clean and well on theme. It's hard not to get excited every time we see the throwback set though.

Agreed, but in the end, isn't that EXACTLY the point of the throwbacks? To wear them sparingly as a special treat? Overexposure wouldn't be a good thing in my opinion. 

I love the Dolphins throwbacks, and would have zero issue if they went back to them full time.  However, I think they could really go a long way towards making the current set much better just by adding more orange.  The current versions simply need more orange!

1 hour ago, Proc said:

I love the Dolphins throwbacks, and would have zero issue if they went back to them full time.  However, I think they could really go a long way towards making the current set much better just by adding more orange.  The current versions simply need more orange!

Totally agree with this. That's what I love about the other sets so much. For the helmet and pants strip, the middle stripe is orange and the outer strip is blue. Gives it a great balance. Not to mention thicker strokes on the numbers with the orange. 

3 hours ago, Rocky Raccoon said:

I don't understand why everyone dislikes the Dolphins' current look. I have both the new and old helmet and the aqua is only a hair different and the new aqua is much closer to the original aqua than the aqua they used before the update. Literally every other mascot type logo from the 60s and 70s has been updated from the original sloppy, poorish drawings. Which is exactly what the Dolphins did what they did in 2013. Kept the same elements and cleaned it up.

2-444.jpg

I'm not sure I'd call that "keeping the same elements and cleaning it up", personally.  I mean, whichever you might prefer, that 2013 update is a pretty major change.

They stole the little fella's helmet, for crying out loud!  That's unforgivable.

3 hours ago, DeFrank said:

The Dolphins current uniforms are awful. Colors are worse/poorly used. Design is somehow boring and gaudy. And the logo is AWFUL!!!! 

usa_today_9752837.0.jpg

The phasing out of orange is the single biggest reason these uniforms suck.  From any view other than close up, they seem to be basically an aqua/navy team. This look might be saved with the removal of all dark blue IMO.

57 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

2-444.jpg

I'm not sure I'd call that "keeping the same elements and cleaning it up", personally.  I mean, whichever you might prefer, that 2013 update is a pretty major change.

They stole the little fella's helmet, for crying out loud!  That's unforgivable.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, looking back on the logo it replaced, it looks painfully outdated.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

2-444.jpg

My biggest pet peeve with the current look is that on the uniform the aqua looks too bright compared to the color used on the logo shown here.  I'm not buying materials being the issue either as the Throwbacks nail what the shade of aqua should be.

13 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I say just keep the navy in that logo. Having a logo-only color isn't the worst thing in the world, other than that threat of a navy alt hanging out there. The Chiefs and the Blackhawks do just fine. Maybe tweak the shade of the darker blue.

They could just change the navy to whatever that new blue is they use.

43 minutes ago, VikWings said:

They could just change the navy to whatever that new blue is they use.

I thought about that, but from eyeballing it, I don't think it would be able to stand up to the deeper orange.

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

2-444.jpg

The White on the old dolphin is horrendous

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The phasing out of orange is the single biggest reason these uniforms suck.  From any view other than close up, they seem to be basically an aqua/navy team. This look might be saved with the removal of all dark blue IMO.

I also think if the orange was the old, more saturated orange it would help a lot too. I actually really like the current set, especially the new aqua, but the creamsicle orange belongs to the Bucs. More prominent use of a darker shade of orange would help contrast better with the aqua, in my opinion.

The new logo would have been much more tolerable if they'd just kept the tail flipped downward and arched the nose downward, like the one it replaced.  Well, that, and emphasized the orange more.

In a vacuum, the new set isn't bad at all, but the problem is that it replaced an iconic look, and they should never have strayed as far as they did.

13 hours ago, C-Squared said:

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, looking back on the logo it replaced, it looks painfully outdated.

That's because it was. People talk about that '97 Dolphins like as if it was some kinda of great upgrade, but the reality was it only worked for awhile. It lasted too long.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

That's because it was. People talk about that '97 Dolphins like as if it was some kinda of great upgrade, but the reality was it only worked for awhile. It lasted too long.

I grew up with that logo so it holds a special place in my heart, but I agree. Waaaaaay too cartoony. Which is another reason why I think they did a good job with the new logo. Less is more when it comes to the detail, IMO.

Archived