NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

are there any numbers available that show how much a team nets in jersey sales year to year? i imagine it would be fairly small in comparison to tickets/sponosrships/etc

The league doesn't like sharing that level of data.  We know how much the Packers make in merchandise, thanks to shareholder reports, but I'm not sure that even the Packers break it down that far. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Quillz said:

I'm actually surprised how conservative the Panthers have been given their expansion nature. But I also think that while bland, the Panthers have a pretty decent uniform set as it is, and don't really need to be changing things up too much.

I'd say just make the blue jerseys the primary, remove the pants logo and call it a day. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Go with black or silver pants with white jerseys.  The white pants / silver helmet look is bad.

Other than that, it's a fine uniform that has stood the test of time.  Even their sorta-goofy pants stripe now actually looks "traditional".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If we're making tweaks I'd do something about the awkward helmet stripes.  But yeah, on the whole it's pretty good. 

Probably the worst helmet stripes in the NFL. I have never understood why they have kept them for so long.

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Probably the worst helmet stripes in the NFL. I have never understood why they have kept them for so long.

Agreed.  They look good from the front . . . and really bad from the back and sides.

luke-kuechly-nfl-indianapolis-colts-caroimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpufshB5vrU77HeMSqatiCam-Newton-Touchdown-For-Carolina-Panthe

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

48 minutes ago, gek_6 said:

Holy :censored: I've never even noticed. 

Sorry to spoil it for you.  :P

In my experience, it is something that I don't notice much during live action because there is less chance to focus on it.  It becomes apparent in photos.

I'm seriously curious to find out why the helmets were designed that way.  There doesn't seem to be any reason to design the stripes that way other than . . . "just because."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Sorry to spoil it for you.  :P

In my experience, it is something that I don't notice much during live action because there is less chance to focus on it.  It becomes apparent in photos.

I'm seriously curious to find out why the helmets were designed that way.  There doesn't seem to be any reason to design the stripes that way other than . . . "just because."

I always assumed they were trying to follow the ridge on one of the newly released helmet shells -- probably the Riddell Revolution

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I always assumed they were trying to follow the ridge on one of the newly released helmet shells -- probably the Riddell Revolution

Were any of the newer styles around in 1995?

On 4/30/2017 at 1:25 AM, aawagner011 said:

Came across a slew of retail images which suggest which teams will and will not switch to the new template. These jerseys shown are the midrange "Limited" line which take their general styling and cut of a replica but with some of the more on field details.

Notable that the Packers, Panthers, Colts, and Bucs are sticking with their current templates. I was interested to see how teams like the Seahawks and Bengals would switch over. And of course, you'll have a few collar tweaks like the Pats where the trim comes to a point by the NFL shield.

IMG_8725.PNG

Where can I find an image of the Bengals black and orange jerseys in this template? The white jerseys were never that much of a problem with the "toilet bowl" collars because the orange yoke was a natural cutoff point for the collar. Now it looks like we're back to a template that looks closer to what Reebok intended back in 2004.The toilet bowl looked bad on the black and orange jerseys though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Where can I find an image of the Bengals black and orange jerseys in this template? The white jerseys were never that much of a problem with the "toilet bowl" collars because the orange yoke was a natural cutoff point for the collar. Now it looks like we're back to a template that looks closer to what Reebok intended back in 2004.The toilet bowl looked bad on the black and orange jerseys though. 

IMG_3823.thumb.PNG.d31ecfc1635221342961b78978f604f9.PNGIMG_3821.PNG.140e3d06816d58fc0cac5bb0add5170b.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Thanks. That looks so much better. Have we had confirmation this is actually how these teams will wear the jersey on the field or is that a retail only change? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's why I think the Panthers helmet stripes work:

1.  A traditional helmet stripe would "cut off" the logo.  The logo is designed such that the angle in the back goes pretty far, so even if it doesn't touch the stripe, having a normal stripe creates a visual "container" or "blocker" for the logo.  It's better with nothing behind it.

2.  There's no straight-vertical stripes anywhere else on the uniform.  The pants taper, and the shoulder stripes (when replicated to spec) taper into the pits (I think that's the official spec.)  A traditional helmet stripe would clash with that.

If you want to argue that it should be more like the Ravens or Titans helmet stripe, then I may agree with you.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  A traditional helmet stripe would "cut off" the logo.  The logo is designed such that the angle in the back goes pretty far, so even if it doesn't touch the stripe, having a normal stripe creates a visual "container" or "blocker" for the logo.  It's better with nothing behind it.

2.  There's no straight-vertical stripes anywhere else on the uniform.  The pants taper, and the shoulder stripes (when replicated to spec) taper into the pits (I think that's the official spec.)  A traditional helmet stripe would clash with that.

If you want to argue that it should be more like the Ravens or Titans helmet stripe, then I may agree with you.  

You're correct on both points - I think a single helmet stripe (tapered) that is similar to the pants' stripe would work.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'll make that argument.

If the idea was to design something nontraditional, that was the better option.  You say that a straight stripe would create a visual "container" or "blocker" for the logo.  However,  traditional stripes wouldn't come anywhere near the logo.  They would end near the 69 in the top photo below.

On the other hand, the actual stripes seriously impinge upon the logo's natural space.  In fact, they almost run into the logo in most instances, as shown in the other two pictures.  That is a far worse offense, in my opinion, than any "container" created by a traditional stripe.

151104_helmet_inside.jpg

7533220.jpg1cover.jpg

I would be fine with any of the following:

1.  Making the current stripes look more like traditional stripes.

2.  Getting rid of the stripes completely.

3.  Using Ravens-Titans style spikes.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

IMG_3823.thumb.PNG.d31ecfc1635221342961b78978f604f9.PNGIMG_3821.PNG.140e3d06816d58fc0cac5bb0add5170b.PNG

It's amazing how many tweaks they are from being a good jersey. Removing the white panels and the 3D shadowing on the numbers would be great.

Archived