NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Titans-Jaguars game tonight and thought it was a little strange to see a Titans coach wearing a red hat. I understand red is part of the team's color scheme, but it's ONLY in the logo and nowhere else. The hat wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if the uniforms had more red, say as number outlines.

The Cowboys & Steelers (and others) have dated logos, I still do not ever want them to change it.  I vote for the old Falcons logo to return. 

Home: Red Helm, Black jersey, White pants - almost like we saw last week

Away:  Red Helm, White jersey, Red pants (classic black and white stripes)

Alternate mix & match elements:  alt Red Jersey, Black road pants (with classic red and white stripes of course).

6 hours ago, hawk36 said:

In theory I like the policy but in reality it doesn't work. We've seen too many instances of horrible designs that the team is stuck with (Bucs, Jags, etc.). Needs to be some sort of process for review that a team can go to the NFL, say "we screwed up", and are given a waiver to change.

The solution for that is for teams to avoid choosing horrible designs.  Most of us recognize them for the garbage they are, within seconds of seeing them.  So, there's no reason teams couldn't solicit the input of a focus group of people with a small amount of design sense and good taste (not athletes, coaches or casual fans) and avoid the mistakes.

Letting it be known that they can get an early do-over would only encourage teams to be less careful in what they choose.  

54 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Watching the Titans-Jaguars game tonight and thought it was a little strange to see a Titans coach wearing a red hat. I understand red is part of the team's color scheme, but it's ONLY in the logo and nowhere else. The hat wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if the uniforms had more red, say as number outlines.

Clearly you're not aware of the nfl's most recent awareness campaign. Salute to Marxism...

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Coaches will sometimes wear super contrasting hats to be more discernible on the sideline for players on the field to pick them out and receive hand signals, etc.

This is the best pic I could find of the most extreme example I remember seeing some years back.

DELELETE.jpg

34 minutes ago, crosfam said:

The Cowboys & Steelers (and others) have dated logos, I still do not ever want them to change it.  I vote for the old Falcons logo to return. 

Only that their logos aren't dated. If anything, they've aged quite well.

8 hours ago, Gupti said:

Coaches will sometimes wear super contrasting hats to be more discernible on the sideline for players on the field to pick them out and receive hand signals, etc.

This is the best pic I could find of the most extreme example I remember seeing some years back.

DELELETE.jpg

The Ravens have done that as well.  Here is a series of hat showing yellow, green and red.

8044131915_9a16b69d0d_o.png

Yes, yellow and red are part of their logos, but they aren't exactly played up as team colors . . .

. . . but you can buy a green hat on NFL Shop . . . 

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_1453000/ff_1453424_xl.jpg&w=245

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

The solution for that is for teams to avoid choosing horrible designs.  Most of us recognize them for the garbage they are, within seconds of seeing them.  So, there's no reason teams couldn't solicit the input of a focus group of people with a small amount of design sense and good taste (not athletes, coaches or casual fans) and avoid the mistakes.

Letting it be known that they can get an early do-over would only encourage teams to be less careful in what they choose.  

For one I would say there should be a limit to the "do overs". Obviously you can't ask for a do over every year.

I'd argue though that a do over rule in moderation would actually allow for much better designs in the end. It would let teams tweak and refine a design in a realistic way. Making them wait years almost assuredly nixes tweaks as by the time the team is allowed to change, they feel they need to go for a wholehearted change rather than a small refinement.

So have rules but also be open to allowing teams to refine or fix bad choices. Better than forcing them to look horrible for 4 years.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:11 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Only that their logos aren't dated. If anything, they've aged quite well.

Dated...Seasoned...Experienced...Proven...Mature.  A compliment, not a complaint.   I think the Falcons look was better before.   I would love to see a cleaner, red/black/white look for them.  The Cardinals are next on my wish list.  A modern adaptation on this perhaps?, With all white at home for most daytime home games, red jerseys for prime time evening and late fall games, maybe updated red pants for the road.   

SmitchellSTLC.jpg

The Cardinals play in a climate-controlled setting now. They don't need to wear white at home to spook the road team into thinking they're sweating more.

Best Arizona set is this one:

1995_Arizona.png

Some update of that would be cool. The Cardinals feel like more of a black-cleats team to me, however.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/30/2016 at 1:59 AM, crosfam said:

Dated...Seasoned...Experienced...Proven...Mature.  A compliment, not a complaint.   I think the Falcons look was better before.   I would love to see a cleaner, red/black/white look for them.  The Cardinals are next on my wish list.  A modern adaptation on this perhaps?, With all white at home for most daytime home games, red jerseys for prime time evening and late fall games, maybe updated red pants for the road.   

SmitchellSTLC.jpg

This look really isn't all that different from Pitt's jerseys...so Nike could do it if everyone wanted.  I'd like to see this something close to what the admiral posted as the Cardinals' unis are stuck in 2005.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, I'm trying to reconcile my desire for the team to give up their crappy Arena League uniforms with the likelihood that Arizona Cardinals fans, such as they are, feel a connection with how the team has looked during its only period of relative competence, and that includes a pretty heavy emphasis on black as a secondary color. Phoenix-area fans, unlike Phoenix-area players, do have to wear team-branded apparel out in the heat, so perhaps a white jersey with borderline-BFBS and unnecessary crap is the right move while restoring their austere home uniforms.

Oh, and red facemasks, finally.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Cardinals play in a climate-controlled setting now. They don't need to wear white at home to spook the road team into thinking they're sweating more.

Best Arizona set is this one:

1995_Arizona.png

Some update of that would be cool. The Cardinals feel like more of a black-cleats team to me, however.

I just think they look better in white.  And I did love these flag jerseys.  I have one at home.  Only non-Seahawks NFL jersey I own.   I like the all-white black-trimmed triple stripe (Stump Mitchell) look best. 

Archived