NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

This is an interesting theory and it's consistent with the version of the jersey on the right with truncated stripes.  However, based on the photos from the draft, the stripes on the new jersey sit higher on the sleeve and follow the cut of the sleeve.

i dont think they do. they dont look to me like they follow the cuff. i think the stripes are positioned the same way (level when worn by players). best i can tell right now, this is a better way of executing the same idea. yea, they lose a 3rd stripe, but it wasn't really there to begin with, in regards to Reebok's design. im not sure Urlacher's jersey is the best to use when demonstrating the lowest common denominator— lots of players have less sleeve than that (either with tailoring or with it being ticked under the pads) and you would never see that bottom stripe. so even if there is room on the Skill cut, if half the team isn't showing the stripe then what does it matter? i think we'll see a much more uniform look to the sleeve stripes on the team this year

certainly has to be better than this

usatsi_9538976.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont think they do. they dont look to me like they follow the cuff. i think the stripes are positioned the same way (level when worn by players). best i can tell right now, this is a better way of executing the same idea. yea, they lose a 3rd stripe, but it wasn't really there to begin with, in regards to Reebok's design. im not sure Urlacher's jersey is the best to use when demonstrating the lowest common denominator— lots of players have less sleeve than that (either with tailoring or with it being ticked under the pads) and you would never see that bottom stripe. so even if there is room on the Skill cut, if half the team isn't showing the stripe then what does it matter? i think we'll see a much more uniform look to the sleeve stripes on the team this year

usatsi_9538976.jpg

When the standard is "Better Than This Ridiculousness", you've set the bar pretty low.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

"following the cuff" is a bit of a blurry line here, because the geometry is constantly changing as you move away from the cuff itself.. it at least appears to be somewhat better at following the cuff with the 2 lines, but i think you're right in that it's still not angled as much as other teams like the Bears' seem to be - which follow the cuff even better.. but as you stated, it changes enough from player to player (sometimes from custom aftermarket tailoring), that it's tough to have a lot of consistency anyway.. another option, which teams have actually used before, is to include the bottom portion of the striping pattern into the cuff itself... the Bears, for example, have included the entire bottom stripe with outlines in the cuff - so the jersey actually only had 2 stripes on it.. the Chiefs' jersey used to be void of stripes, only having them in the cuff, until Nike took over.. as much as i blame the teams for this, a bit of the blame does have to fall on Nike for even offering sub-par options, regardless of whether the team goes with them or not..

I didn't think 3 shoulder stripes would be a problem since many teams make it work with the modern jersey designs but the 49ers (along with a billion other problems they have) can't even do this right. I guess moving the stripes up a bit is too hard for them so they eliminated 1 stripe. 

XM4KeeA.png

8 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

"following the cuff" is a bit of a blurry line here, because the geometry is constantly changing as you move away from the cuff itself.. it at least appears to be somewhat better at following the cuff with the 2 lines, but i think you're right in that it's still not angled as much as other teams like the Bears' seem to be - which follow the cuff even better.. but as you stated, it changes enough from player to player (sometimes from custom aftermarket tailoring), that it's tough to have a lot of consistency anyway.. another option, which teams have actually used before, is to include the bottom portion of the striping pattern into the cuff itself... the Bears, for example, have included the entire bottom stripe with outlines in the cuff - so the jersey actually only had 2 stripes on it.. the Chiefs' jersey used to be void of stripes, only having them in the cuff, until Nike took over.. as much as i blame the teams for this, a bit of the blame does have to fall on Nike for even offering sub-par options, regardless of whether the team goes with them or not..

right, i believe the Cowboys were included in that as well. the stripes being moved up the sleeve, at least on the longer sleeve options. if i read that correctly, you would rather keep the stripe on the cuff?? personally, i believe these new adjustments are an improvement as the cuff is the part that gets tucked under the pads and does all kinds of bunching. so having a stripe there on these jerseys wouldn't be a good solution. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

MLB has them, but how long before we see 3D helmet logos in the NFL?

Considering in the NFL, whether they want it or not, helmet to helmet contact is pretty common, whereas in MLB, something has gone terribly wrong if the ball or another player is making contact with a player's helmet, I'd say there's little chance 3D logos will catch on in football.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

right, i believe the Cowboys were included in that as well. the stripes being moved up the sleeve, at least on the longer sleeve options. if i read that correctly, you would rather keep the stripe on the cuff?? personally, i believe these new adjustments are an improvement as the cuff is the part that gets tucked under the pads and does all kinds of bunching. so having a stripe there on these jerseys wouldn't be a good solution. 

I wasn't suggesting that I would prefer sleeve stripes to spill over onto the cuff, but having a nice, contrast cuff with a striping pattern, like the chiefs did, is a classic look.. And opens up that much more space on the sleeve for tv numbers or team logos (like the previous Dolphins' set).. Also, I think the reason the cuffs get rolled up under the pads is due to the large shoulder pad area in the Nike cuts, as well as the different cuff construction.. The Reebok era jerseys seemed slightly tighter and stretchier in the shoulder pad area, so the cuff pattern was usually visible.. Either way, just pointing out something I noticed, not specifying preference

32 minutes ago, dmhtfld said:

BYU had the 3D embossed logo that you guys are talking about. I think it looks pretty good on the helmet.

BYU.jpg

BYU's was different than the rubbery 3D logos of MLB and helmet bumpers.. BYU's were done by EcoDomes, and they're similar to the metallic-looking badges on household appliances.. The depth of the 3D look and details is minimal.. Plus, they were designed to be a 1-game thing, so I have no idea what sort of durability they have.. They did look great though, and would probably be a better option than the baseball style rubbery 3D logos

2 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

11856_large.jpg

Is this an official patch? The roundel within the roundel is off or am I just seeing things? The 1932 and 2017 that meet at the logo is off?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, kimball said:

Is this an official patch? The roundel within the roundel is off or am I just seeing things? The 1932 and 2017 that meet at the logo is off?

Yes and no, it looks like the "1" and "7" are at the same level, but its the spacing between both the 2's that appears to be different.

a2BRS8U.png

On 5/31/2017 at 11:46 AM, kimball said:

Wow...now I can't unsee that and it's really bothering me.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived