NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

On 6/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, andycumbee19 said:

What's the most puzzling to me is that the stripe vinyl is nowhere near as thick as the logo.  It's pretty much equivalent to a bumper sticker.  Not at all like the 3M decals. Can't believe you never see them Peel or rip during games and practices .

Even more puzzling than that is how seemingly nobody else on here noticed this before now

I noticed it, but always assumed it was just transparent vinyl because that's how almost every other logo is applied.

Back when the Broncos first came out with these helmets I remember watching a lot of their games trying to see what the decals would look like on a player that wore a schutt or a non-Riddell brand helmet and I don't think I ever saw any Bronco wearing anything other than a Riddell until years later. These helmets were clearly designed with the helmet ridge in mind. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that story about the Dolphins really liking their throwbacks and considering a switch to a version of that? I noticed that the Dolphins Facebook banner has the throwback in it. After seeing the story and the schedule picture, I can't help but wonder how serious they are about this.

18033989_10154723180799611_8561080299774

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Remember that story about the Dolphins really liking their throwbacks and considering a switch to a version of that? I noticed that the Dolphins Facebook banner has the throwback in it. After seeing the story and the schedule picture, I can't help but wonder how serious they are about this.

As a Dolphins fan, I can only hope.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

not very. well, as far as schedule release is concerned. Wake was 1 of 10 players we used for schedule release, and photos were chosen mostly based on the negative space and how they would hold a schedule. this one doesn't work as well for facebook admittedly, but the full version is pretty nice. we did make a conscious effort to include some throwback images (Devante Parker has a nice one too) for obvious reasons, but we didn't want to use too many in order to try and avoid any "they're pushing throwbacks, what does this mean!?" talk. sorry :) 

SOC334_2017_schedule_16x9_Tiles3.thumb.jpg.69451e04cdab04f29f02b4ca9089b007.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 6/16/2017 at 7:32 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, if think about it the separate stripes might serve a purpose... it's obviously important that the middle point end at the exact same spot at the front of all the helmets, and that side stripes come together  at a really consistent spot across the board, so separating them gives them some leeway in making that happen. Lots of different helmet styles and sizes, the flexibility is got to be helpful. But the navy borders are a puzzle. I worked at a silkscreen sweatshop years ago and we made helmet decals for high schools.  The adhesive vinyl was only produced in clear... using two colors can only be a complication.

Adhesive helmet vinyl is generally clear, but that's not how the major companies make most of their decals nowadays.. They start with a .20 mil vinyl (like a thick shower curtain), then print the logos in reverse on one side of the vinyl, then cover using a 3M adhesive, so the image is sandwiched between the vinyl and the adhesive .. At least that's how it's typically done with normal, clear decals.. I'm not sure about the white backing, unless that's just used as a base layer behind the colors to keep the colors consistent, or if it's white adhesive.. Or possibly the design printed on top of white adhesive vinyl, then laminated with a protective clear coat.. Only reason I can think of for why they'd go that route is possibly being able to match colors better with the printing method used for printing onto the white adhesive vinyl than the one used for screening the ink on the back of the clear vinyl..

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

not very. well, as far as schedule release is concerned. Wake was 1 of 10 players we used for schedule release, and photos were chosen mostly based on the negative space and how they would hold a schedule. this one doesn't work as well for facebook admittedly, but the full version is pretty nice. we did make a conscious effort to include some throwback images (Devante Parker has a nice one too) for obvious reasons, but we didn't want to use too many in order to try and avoid any "they're pushing throwbacks, what does this mean!?" talk. sorry :) 

SOC334_2017_schedule_16x9_Tiles3.thumb.jpg.69451e04cdab04f29f02b4ca9089b007.jpg

Yeah we have also dropped many different variations of the schedule poster with varying uniforms and players as well ; don't read too much into it for now ;

With that being said however, if we fast forward 10 years, i doubt the dolphins still have the toothpaste logo 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

21 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

1997-2012 logo in the current colors.  That would be ideal in my eyes.  I miss seeing the helmet on Snowflake.

That logo reeks of 1997 and shouldn't ever be talked about again. It's also associated with an awful era in team history.

They Dolphins have two options:

Option 1: Modify the current dolphin to resemble the throwback dolphin.

Option 2: Modify the old dolphin.

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

That logo reeks of 1997 and shouldn't ever be talked about again. It's also associated with an awful era in team history.

They Dolphins have two options:

Option 1: Modify the current dolphin to resemble the throwback dolphin.

Option 2: Modify the old dolphin.

Or just use the old dolphin. That would be pretty swell.

11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

@ren69 did a bang-up job of modernizing it:

LogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MiamiDolphins1

I'm cool with whatever logo the Dolphins want, just as long as it only uses one aqua shade and one orange shade.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. Kind of weird how it's two different M's though (upper left vs. helmet)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm cool with whatever logo the Dolphins want, just as long as it only uses one aqua shade and one orange shade.

I am tired of the navy or the darker blue that has been in the scheme since 1997. Time to get rid of it. This is perfect. Just aqua and orange. 

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Coming from a fan of the 90's Dolphin, this one is the winner for all time. If it got in a Tekken fight with the Cruiseliner Bellyflopper, it'd win in one punch.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don't mind the new dolphin, but I don't mind any of the previous iterations either..

But I do like the dark aqua currently used as a tertiary/trim color.. Unfortunately, it almost supersedes orange in the current set, but adding more orange would fix that problem as well as, well, the general lack of orange..

Not only are the orange outlines too thin, but the shade of orange itself is too bright. It would be more noticeable if it was a darker shade... but even still, the first thing you're going to see is the blue outline because it stands out more.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

My biggest issue with this version (not Ren69's cleanup, but the 70's/early 80's version), is that it's the most out of balance.. I never really liked the 60's/early 70's version with the dolphin's head centered in the sun, but it's growing on me, and since it's not directly over the sun, no balance issues.. In the 80's, the dolphin got a bit leaner, but balanced in front of the sun better, while the 90's dolphin seems to have nailed it in terms of being balanced in front of the sun.. The current has no balance issues in this regard either, but the first version with the dolphin centered over the sun, left too much white to the bottom right of the dolphin and too little white to the upper left.. Retro-ing the 90's logo with some 70's styling could be the solution.. Although I'm ok with the current, as stated previously

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is close to perfect.  Drop the thin outside rays, and maybe fix that cartoony angry eye, and this would be awesome.

Archived