NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

On 10/26/2016 at 0:39 AM, OrangeRush said:

The only real prevalent rumors I can think of is the possibility of Detroit dropping black and the Titans GM or Owner entertaining a possible uniform change in the future. 

That's the main reason I really like Color Rush - the NFL is so stupid with their years-long process to change uniforms that Color Rush is really the only way we get new uniforms to talk about save for the rare throwback like the Falcons just did. 

I know the Titans were at least thinking about possible changes...don't know if it will happen or not.  I'd be curious about what they might come up with.  I like their current set and think it has aged well.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I know the Titans were at least thinking about possible changes...don't know if it will happen or not.  I'd be curious about what they might come up with.  I like their current set and think it has aged well.

I agree.. I'm not sure if it has aged that well, or if it just translates well to multiple/modern templates, but it has definitely stood the test of time.. I used to dislike it, but the longer it's around, the more it grows on me

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I agree.. I'm not sure if it has aged that well, or if it just translates well to multiple/modern templates, but it has definitely stood the test of time.. I used to dislike it, but the longer it's around, the more it grows on me

If they do anything, I'd almost prefer they tweak the current set rather than do a  complete re-design.  I don't want to see them use traditional sleeve striping or do anything whacked out like Seattle or Tampa but fall somewhere in the middle, which I think the current set does.  I'd maybe add columbia numbers to the white jersey instead of navy.

Too many flaws, too much going on, Cincy's unis are definitely stuck in the 00s. Easily rivals the Titans and Jags as the worst "modern" unis in the league.

As far as the helmet goes, they feel soooo dated and the stripes are all wonky. Something sleeker could definitely be done with them. Outside of a pair of facepalms against the 49ers, there's really no tradition behind them either.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd definitely like to see the Bengals go to more of a black over orange look, pull away from being the Browns' ugly step-child. If done correctly, something similar to this would definitely be acceptable:

95062958c4626605a28475314068cd10.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

11 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I agree the new uniforms are good but not great. White faskmasks look great for the vikings

tommy_kramer_1982_08_01.jpg

As much as I love the helmet now, it would be better with a white facemask. This is also my favorite Vikings jersey. The Northwestern stripes worked for them.

I think the Bengals helmets just need a bit of extra flavor.  Have some white in there, a bit of texture maybe.  Define the helmet as a tiger's fur.  Hell, take the Jags idea, just execute it better.

Matte black rear 1/3 of the helmet fades into matte orange with matte black stripes with white accents.  Could look cool.

Simplify the uniforms by going to a borderless, marginally stylized block numeral.  Retain wordmark.  

Something like this could work, too.  I think somebody around here made it.

Bengals%20Speedflex%206%20view_zpsfaf27h

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Remove the side panels, and the Bengals' set immediately improves drastically.. I don't mind the number font or drop shadow at all.. Perhaps the outline is a bit thick, but that's really my only gripe outside of the side panels.. I also don't think the orange helmet relates too much to the Browns.. Sure, there's a historical connection there, but when one team is the "bengals" (orange tigers) and the other is the "browns", logic would suggest that it's much more appropriate for Cincinnati (yes, I know the browns are named after a person and not a color, but let's be honest.. The fact that brown is one of their colors isn't a coincidence)

I'm curious as to why some people think the Titans uniforms are so horrible.  They don't seem over-designed to me, there's not too much going on.  The design is pretty clean. Or is it just because they've been around for so long, people want something new?

23 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I'm curious as to why some people think the Titans uniforms are so horrible.  They don't seem over-designed to me, there's not too much going on.  The design is pretty clean. Or is it just because they've been around for so long, people want something new?

The Titans' uniforms are so close to perfect - tweak the font, and wear white pants with all jerseys.  Maybe fix the strange helmet stripes.  Done.

5 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I think the Titans are a clear case of be careful what you wish for. I think if they change you'll get more Jags/Bucs/Seahawks than Vikings/Dolphins

That's exactly what I'd be afraid of.  

34 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Titans' uniforms are so close to perfect - tweak the font, and wear white pants with all jerseys.  Maybe fix the strange helmet stripes.  Done.

Agree with everything but the pants. I think they should always wear the light blue pants they look amazing

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Seconded . . . especially the white pants part.

My biggest complaint with the Titans has always been the mishmash of color combinations they've used since introducing the powder blue jerseys.  Sticking with white pants at all times would solve that problem . . . and just plain look good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, mjd77 said:

For one thing, they're of a certain time with the two-tone blue, tapered stripes, and I guess what you could call for lack of a better term, vaguely science-fictiony numerals that look very turn-of-the-millennium to me. (The Patriots, same.) That could have been fine enough, but they're making a mistake a lot of teams make with identities, which is to tinker themselves to death while still trying to hold onto the general idea. (The L.A. Kings, same.) It feels like they've tried to redesign without actually redesigning.

I've brought it up before, but the Titans seemed to do well with their branding because as they got to the Super Bowl, they did it with fresh new uniforms and logos that didn't explicitly tie them down to Nashville (didn't even have it in their name): they just felt like sort of a free-floating entity that anyone could get on board with, or at least agree not to hate. I grew up in Bears/Packers country and saw a ton of Titans gear out there circa 2000 because they looked new and interesting and a hot AFC Central team wasn't much of a concern to fans of struggling NFC Central teams. Had the Houston Oilers enjoyed a renaissance under Steve McNair (one of my favorites growing up, he was Roethlisberger before Roethlisberger in terms of getting his ass kicked all day but never giving up; let us not plumb the analogy any deeper than that), I don't think you would have seen Midwesterners wearing oil derricks on their T-shirts, even though that whole identity was objectively superior.

So now that the Titans are cemented and their stuff looks old, maybe they need some design that's more obviously Nashville. I know the logo is based on the Tennessee flag, but maybe there's more they can do without being obvious and lame about it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I may be the only person on the board who thinks this, but the Oilers identity is hilariously overrated, and I much prefer the Texans/Titans combo (with some minor visual tweaks). Just fix up the Titans like this @McCarthy concept, and you'd be set:

Tennessee-Titans_zpseb3bb8fd.png

I'd also recommend that the helmet and shoulder logos switch places, due to centering issues.

9 hours ago, San Diego said:

The current Bengal uniform doesn't compare to how good they use to look. 

BROWNS-BENGALS.jpg

News flash: They've never looked good.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Disagree.

The unis and primary logo are just ugly. Same goes for the alt. A total overhaul can't be worse than they atrocity they currently have.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived