NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

Saw this photo in an article about the 1998 New York Jets and it just reminded me how good they used to look before the "50 Shades of Green" Nike era. 20 years of uniform innovation but for some reason we can't get colors to match or stripes to look right now.

364493.0.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mmajeski06 said:

Saw this photo in an article about the 1998 New York Jets and it just reminded me how good they used to look before the "50 Shades of Green" Nike era. 20 years of uniform innovation but for some reason we can't get colors to match or stripes to look right now.

364493.0.jpg

Unpopular opinion:  I won't be too upset when the Jets update their uniforms.  They did look better back in '98, though.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Unpopular opinion:  I won't be too upset when the Jets update their uniforms.  They did look better back in '98, though.

It should be a NO BRAINER that the Jets should go back to the 1978-97 unis.  Kelly green helmets, kelly green jerseys, heck on occasion kelly green pants.  They had as perfect a uniform as any NFL team can have.  I rather have them go back to kelly green than the Eagles.  The Eagles should stay with midnight green because its a unique color and they look better with it.  However I am just in the minority on this.

1 hour ago, orangefaniniowa said:

It should be a NO BRAINER that the Jets should go back to the 1978-97 unis.  Kelly green helmets, kelly green jerseys, heck on occasion kelly green pants.  They had as perfect a uniform as any NFL team can have.  I rather have them go back to kelly green than the Eagles.  The Eagles should stay with midnight green because its a unique color and they look better with it.  However I am just in the minority on this.

I'm pretty sure you are absolutely in the minority with these two opinions.  Which makes them just about the opposite of a "no brainer". :P

On 6/22/2017 at 8:51 AM, SFGiants58 said:

@ren69 did a bang-up job of modernizing it:

LogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MiamiDolphins1

I'm cool with whatever logo the Dolphins want, just as long as it only uses one aqua shade and one orange shade.

I still want the Dolphins to have a fauxback uniform with that mystery M helmet that the dolphin is wearing. 

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Midnight green is unique but it's a terrible color IMO. Both the Jets and Eagles should be using kelly green again.

It was fine to have two kelly green teams back then and it should be fine now. I'd like to see an updated version of the Jets late 70s to mid 90s look (with black or sans black). 

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I still want the Dolphins to have a fauxback uniform with that mystery M helmet that the dolphin is wearing. 

Perfect opportunity for color rush! All-aqua with the fauxback helmet. Because the players are LITERALLY dolphins on Thursday!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

5 hours ago, mmajeski06 said:

364493.0.jpg

It was a great modern update to a classic and the team has kept messing up since the Nike-era. FFS JUST MAKE A LIGHTER SHADE OF GREEN!!! If this team will play bad, at least want them to look good. 

I want the Jets to hold back on the green pants while we're at it. They've been wearing it with the away jersey too many times now, it's practically their primary at this point.

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, insert name said:

It was a great modern update to a classic and the team has kept messing up since the Nike-era. FFS JUST MAKE A LIGHTER SHADE OF GREEN!!! If this team will play bad, at least want them to look good. 

I want the Jets to hold back on the green pants while we're at it. They've been wearing it with the away jersey too many times now, it's practically their primary at this point.

The new template doesn't have the multiple shades of green problem

It's funny how the uniform Vinny Testeverde is wearing looks like a throwback, even though it's the same as now just on an older template.  The colors and stripes look so much better on the older ones.  

If they could figure out a way to do the shoulder hoops right, and got a better helmet logo, that'd be a perfect football uniform.  There's no need for them to change, just improve.  Slapping the NY logo on the helmet would be a good start.  Hell - even just the Jets wordmark in green would be fine.

You want kelly on that template?  I don't think it's necessary, but it'd be fine.  Just make sure the greens match and it's a winner.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BrianLion said:

seriously, the Jets and Eagles play once every four years (not counting preseason). They can have a similar look. 

Yet people continue to whine that the Rams would look exactly like the Colts if they return to blue and white.

IMG_2871.GIF

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/22/2017 at 8:13 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

This is close to perfect.  Drop the thin outside rays, and maybe fix that cartoony angry eye, and this would be awesome.

I know most people like the helmet-wearing-dolphin, so I understand people wanting to go back.  

But would people actually prefer the thin outside rays?  I say this, of course, as a non-design person, but those were terrible every second they were part of the logo.  Too detailed.  Too difficult to recreate in small renditions.  And not valuable (maybe even deterrent) to making it look like a sun.  When they do go back, I hope they will use a sun more like today's.

As for "cartoony," isn't that the point? Isn't that why everyone loves this logo?  It's wearing a helmet; it's cartoony.  It's why I don't like this logo, but that eye doesn't seem like an issue in the scheme of this logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, insert name said:

Looking at Vinny pics over time...it's like Starter is the only ones that came close to getting it right, and the shrinking of the uniform over the last 20 years only makes it harder. Nike tries with the UCLA stripe/contrast sleeve combo thing they do but looking at Namath pics, that choice really exacerbates how off it looks.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I know most people like the helmet-wearing-dolphin, so I understand people wanting to go back.  

But would people actually prefer the thin outside rays?  I say this, of course, as a non-design person, but those were terrible every second they were part of the logo.  Too detailed.  Too difficult to recreate in small renditions.  And not valuable (maybe even deterrent) to making it look like a sun.  When they do go back, I hope they will use a sun more like today's.

As for "cartoony," isn't that the point? Isn't that why everyone loves this logo?  It's wearing a helmet; it's cartoony.  It's why I don't like this logo, but that eye doesn't seem like an issue in the scheme of this logo.

I like the "cartoony", but not the "angry".   If a cartoon dolphin, jumping thru the air while wearing a football helmet can't be happy, what chance do the rest of us have?

23 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

One should go Kelly green and one should go Michigan State-esque flat forest green. I think both teams could pull of either look, but both need to move away from what they're currently doing asap

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Keeps the essential element of the sun, but works even at a very small size.

Q1N7v0P.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I like the "cartoony", but not the "angry".   If a cartoon dolphin, jumping thru the air while wearing a football helmet can't be happy, what chance do the rest of us have?

Fantastic way of putting it!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived