NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

On 7/8/2017 at 8:46 AM, dont care said:

This is wrong, a logo on the front was never an option for the NFL because they don't want anything competeing with "the shield" it was either logo on the sleeve or no deal. It would take a mammoth of a contract for the NFL to compromise their logo, atleast when Goodel is commish.

My information on this came directly from someone that was involved in the negotiations. As valuable as the real estate is on the front, the value of two logos over one was higher to Nike. This was long before the financial terms were agreed upon. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Pointless is exactly the right word. In addition to being ugly, the captaincy title doesn't seem to mean all that much. It's an honorific that means little other than who gets to participate in the coin toss. At least in hockey, wearing the captain's "C" is sought after. The players affix meaning to it. 

So yeah, you could redesign it and make it look better. But it would still be pointless. 

ill throw a wrench in here then. i believe the Captains are voted for by the players, so gaining the recognition and respect from your teammates plays a part. i also think theres something to being named a Captain that adds a little more pressure to the player. when you're a guy sporting the designation you officially hold that rank and are expected to live up to it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

ill throw a wrench in here then. i believe the Captains are voted for by the players, so gaining the recognition and respect from your teammates plays a part. i also think theres something to being named a Captain that adds a little more pressure to the player. when you're a guy sporting the designation you officially hold that rank and are expected to live up to it

Depends on the team, Greenbay has the coaches select who are captains each week which is why none of them where the patch because they aren't going to sew on and remove patches each and every week.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Depends on the team, Greenbay has the coaches select who are captains each week which is why none of them where the patch because they aren't going to sew on and remove patches each and every week.

This is correct. The patches only show up on Packer uniforms in the playoffs, when players DO vote on captains.

It's where I sit.

I'd be okay with a small decal on the back of the helmet or something, but a big patch on the front of the jersey kind of ruins the whole point of a "team over individual" uniform.  

Not to mention it's incredibly ugly. What exactly does this patch tell us about Aaron Rodgers?

aaron-rodgers-ftr-010817jpg_udkdygfq379e

He's respected by his peers.  Okay.  And that they've felt that way about him for a uncertain period of time that's undefined but at least half a decade in a row.

It's just bad design, like they never considered any players would have careers longer than five years.

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'd be okay with a small decal on the back of the helmet or something, but a big patch on the front of the jersey kind of ruins the whole point of a "team over individual" uniform.  

Not to mention it's incredibly ugly. What exactly does this patch tell us about Aaron Rodgers?

aaron-rodgers-ftr-010817jpg_udkdygfq379e

He's respected by his peers.  Okay.  And that they've felt that way about him for a uncertain period of time that's undefined but at least half a decade in a row.

It's just bad design, like they never considered any players would have careers longer than five years.

The number of years thing is a pretty bad idea.  You don't see it in hockey, and for good reason: it doesn't matter.  Compare Rodgers, a 5x+ captain, to a young qb who is  2x captain...does it matter during the game?  "Welp...Rodgers does have more gold stars, so I should give him the benefit of the doubt on more calls."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

If I'm not mistaken, NFL team captains long predate the patch. These patches are just poorly-designed visual symbols of that tradition.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The number of years thing is a pretty bad idea.  You don't see it in hockey, and for good reason: it doesn't matter.  Compare Rodgers, a 5x+ captain, to a young qb who is  2x captain...does it matter during the game?  "Welp...Rodgers does have more gold stars, so I should give him the benefit of the doubt on more calls."

Trust me, Rodgers doesn't need a "C" patch with stars to get beneficial calls. The "G" on his helmet helps him quite enough as is.....

*mumbles about the play before the stupid hail mary*

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Could you imagine how Steve Yzerman's captain's patch would look?  Yikes!

On the real though, I don't mind captains patches.  I just wish the NBA did it more.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 7/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, Gothamite said:

If they must do something, that would work.  A small C in the same font the team uses for the NoB.

Agreed.. Or even the exact same C as the current patch, but without the box, stars, and outline.. Then it would be consistent league-wide without being such an eyesore

On 10/20/2016 at 0:04 PM, ScubaSteve said:

This is my mandatory yearly wish that the Eagles have something in the works for next season. Never comes true, but the jerseys are looking worse and worse especially since Nike took over.

Even if it's not a full return to Kelly green, drop the black, update the number font...SOMETHING

You're exactly right!! Think Cunningham era, light grey pants and that beautiful Kelly green, perfect!! Everytime l see the modern set, it just looks washed out. Dark green, with black!!l No pop!!! Even keep the modern wing, but actually, the number font isn't that bad.

6 minutes ago, verno said:

You're exactly right!! Think Cunningham era, light grey pants and that beautiful Kelly green, perfect!! Everytime l see the modern set, it just looks washed out. Dark green, with black!!l No pop!!! Even keep the modern wing, but actually, the number font isn't that bad.

I honestly think the current uniforms, exactly as they are, but swapping kelly for their dark green, would look fantastic.. Maybe not their best possible look, but a pretty darn good one..

1 minute ago, WavePunter said:

I honestly think the current uniforms, exactly as they are, but swapping kelly for their dark green, would look fantastic.. Maybe not their best possible look, but a pretty darn good one..

That to me wouldn't be bad. I like the font, kind of unique without being too annoying. I just can't stand the midnight green!!! Remember all the Hunter Green cars in the Ninties? Bleck!!!! I wouldn't mind seeing that Cunningham era logo coming back either!!

Just now, verno said:

That to me wouldn't be bad. I like the font, kind of unique without being too annoying. I just can't stand the midnight green!!! Remember all the Hunter Green cars in the Ninties? Bleck!!!! I wouldn't mind seeing that Cunningham era logo coming back either!!

IMG_0627.JPG

On 10/24/2016 at 11:50 AM, hawk36 said:

That's the Eagles in my mind's eye too. Would be great to see an updated version of this.

Look how big Ron's sleeves are!! As an ex defensive end, my eyes would light up:)

On 10/24/2016 at 0:26 PM, kroywen said:

I personally much prefer the black helmets to the red lids, so I'm glad that they went with the black helmets here.

If they were to make this a full-time home or alt uniform - and they very much should - there's a great potential solution to the problem of a black logo on a black helmet: make the Falcon red. Obviously the same would have to go for the sleeve falcon.

Make red and white versions of this jersey, and the Falcons would go from being one of the worst dressed teams in the league to one of the best instantaneously.

As a side note, the Northwestern stripe in the background doesn't show up anywhere in the uniform. Why would they put that Northwestern stripe in the graphic? Very odd.

Nah, see above, perfect.

Archived