SabresRule7361

2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

1,128 posts in this topic

Since the NHL season officially starts tomorrow night, I felt it would be a good time to get this thread underway.

 

Can the Penguins repeat?

 

Can the Capitals get over the hump?

 

Does one of LA/Chicago reclaim their throne in the West after a one-year hiatus, the first time someone else reached the Finals since the 2011 Canucks?

 

Will Lightning strike again in the postseason?

 

Will San Jose make it back to the Finals?

 

Will a party crasher like Dallas/St. Louis/Nashville create Western waves come springtime?

 

Will Edmonton have a winning record?

 

How many Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be that guy and point out that this is the League's 100th season. The 100th Birthday is November 26th, 2017. The anniversary of the first game is December 19th. Both of which happen next season.

 

If you want to be technical, next season is actually the 100th season, also, since 04-05 was completely lost to lockout. The league counts it as a season, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Will San Jose make it back to the Finals?

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Since the NHL season officially starts tomorrow night, I felt it would be a good time to get this thread underway.

 

Can the Penguins repeat?

 

Can the Capitals get over the hump?

 

Does one of LA/Chicago reclaim their throne in the West after a one-year hiatus, the first time someone else reached the Finals since the 2011 Canucks?

 

Will Lightning strike again in the postseason?

 

Will San Jose make it back to the Finals?

 

Will a party crasher like Dallas/St. Louis/Nashville create Western waves come springtime?

 

Will Edmonton have a winning record?

 

How many Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year?

 

Predictions:

 

  1. No 
  2. Probably not
  3. Probably
  4. I hope so, I kinda like the Ning
  5. Nope 
  6. Hopefully, not a huge Sharks fan and it's time for the reign of LA/Chicago to end
  7. Yes, but barely
  8. 1-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that girl in Winnipeg is gonna start crying....Pavelec looks to be heading to the minors while two Better Jets will be on the team opening night.

 

I get the funny feeling that Pavelec will be the starting goalie for the Las Vegas team next season.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

woop.gif

This is the season Mitch Marner becomes my new fav hockey player.  I hope.

Yzerman-Toews-Marner... solid lineage that.

 

Stanley Cup I'll say Washington over Dallas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So that girl in Winnipeg is gonna start crying....Pavelec looks to be heading to the minors while two Better Jets will be on the team opening night.

 

At least he's only going down the hall. Winnipeg Girl can see Pababib at a Moose game and use the savings to buy many more hot dogs!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Stanley Cup I'll say Washington over Dallas.

please be right please be right please be right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christ I have no clue who to pick in the finals. I think this year is really wide open. Lightning over Ducks, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kucherov back in the fold makes me happy. 

 

His contract makes me ecstatic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH I haven't really been following the offseason too too much, got the MLB playoffs, the NFL, and the Premier League all going on. I don't even know who my prediction would be. 

 

For the heck of it I'll go with the Ning over the Kings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Morgo said:

 

:lol:

 

Hot take over here!

 

A few observations so far:

 

- The Pens rings look great. Good, clean design with the right amount of color that pops.

 

- Speaking of the Pens, the new Oilers stadium reminds of Consol a lot. Seems like the trend is this new generic oval shape with slight delineations in the top two tiers

 

- Speaking of the Oil, I think they're the team from Alberta who could sneak into the 2nd WC spot. They have many growing pains but perhaps they pull a Winnipeg and make a playoff appearance before falling back a few steps.

 

- The playoff teams from last year should all repeat pretty handily. Mainly, I agree with the TSN boys and think that many of the top teams didn't improve by a whole bunch and that we could see a year of being improvements by the rising teams like the Devils, Flames or maybe even the Isles.

 

- I know Tampa got their big signing in Kucherov but can a Bolts fan show we why so many experts are predicting them as the last team standing in June. I'm not seeing it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

- I know Tampa got their big signing in Kucherov but can a Bolts fan show we why so many experts are predicting them as the last team standing in June. I'm not seeing it yet.

I don't know what all moves they made in the offseason, but I gather it's largely due to having the same roster as before, with the previous two seasons ending with a Stanley Cup Final appearance and taking Pittsburgh to 7 games in the Eastern Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'm rooting for the Stanley Cup to go to a Sun Belt city. B)

*pulls up a chair*

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The New South: bad for hockey, bad for America. I don't see Connecticut agonizing over who can use a bathroom.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I don't think even the triumphant return of Stanley Cup Champion Randy Carlyle will help this Ducks team. They'll start off 5-10-4 and then get knocked out of the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Six said:

Unfortunately I don't think even the triumphant return of Stanley Cup Champion Randy Carlyle will help this Ducks team. They'll start off 5-10-4 and then get knocked out of the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

 

I don't really know what to expect from the Ducks this year. 

 

I do hope Rakell and Lindholm end up playing a game or two this season though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now