2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

Since the NHL season officially starts tomorrow night, I felt it would be a good time to get this thread underway.

Can the Penguins repeat?

Can the Capitals get over the hump?

Does one of LA/Chicago reclaim their throne in the West after a one-year hiatus, the first time someone else reached the Finals since the 2011 Canucks?

Will Lightning strike again in the postseason?

Will San Jose make it back to the Finals?

Will a party crasher like Dallas/St. Louis/Nashville create Western waves come springtime?

Will Edmonton have a winning record?

How many Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be that guy and point out that this is the League's 100th season. The 100th Birthday is November 26th, 2017. The anniversary of the first game is December 19th. Both of which happen next season.

If you want to be technical, next season is actually the 100th season, also, since 04-05 was completely lost to lockout. The league counts it as a season, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

46 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Since the NHL season officially starts tomorrow night, I felt it would be a good time to get this thread underway.

Can the Penguins repeat?

Can the Capitals get over the hump?

Does one of LA/Chicago reclaim their throne in the West after a one-year hiatus, the first time someone else reached the Finals since the 2011 Canucks?

Will Lightning strike again in the postseason?

Will San Jose make it back to the Finals?

Will a party crasher like Dallas/St. Louis/Nashville create Western waves come springtime?

Will Edmonton have a winning record?

How many Canadian teams will make the playoffs this year?

Predictions:

1. No 
  2. Probably not
  3. Probably
  4. I hope so, I kinda like the Ning
  5. Nope 
  6. Hopefully, not a huge Sharks fan and it's time for the reign of LA/Chicago to end
  7. Yes, but barely
  8. 1-2

spacer.png

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So that girl in Winnipeg is gonna start crying....Pavelec looks to be heading to the minors while two Better Jets will be on the team opening night.

At least he's only going down the hall. Winnipeg Girl can see Pababib at a Moose game and use the savings to buy many more hot dogs!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

TBH I haven't really been following the offseason too too much, got the MLB playoffs, the NFL, and the Premier League all going on. I don't even know who my prediction would be. 

For the heck of it I'll go with the Ning over the Kings. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

:lol:

Hot take over here!

A few observations so far:

- The Pens rings look great. Good, clean design with the right amount of color that pops.

- Speaking of the Pens, the new Oilers stadium reminds of Consol a lot. Seems like the trend is this new generic oval shape with slight delineations in the top two tiers

- Speaking of the Oil, I think they're the team from Alberta who could sneak into the 2nd WC spot. They have many growing pains but perhaps they pull a Winnipeg and make a playoff appearance before falling back a few steps.

- The playoff teams from last year should all repeat pretty handily. Mainly, I agree with the TSN boys and think that many of the top teams didn't improve by a whole bunch and that we could see a year of being improvements by the rising teams like the Devils, Flames or maybe even the Isles.

- I know Tampa got their big signing in Kucherov but can a Bolts fan show we why so many experts are predicting them as the last team standing in June. I'm not seeing it yet.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

21 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

- I know Tampa got their big signing in Kucherov but can a Bolts fan show we why so many experts are predicting them as the last team standing in June. I'm not seeing it yet.

I don't know what all moves they made in the offseason, but I gather it's largely due to having the same roster as before, with the previous two seasons ending with a Stanley Cup Final appearance and taking Pittsburgh to 7 games in the Eastern Finals.

8 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'm rooting for the Stanley Cup to go to a Sun Belt city. B)

*pulls up a chair*

giphy.gif

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Unfortunately I don't think even the triumphant return of Stanley Cup Champion Randy Carlyle will help this Ducks team. They'll start off 5-10-4 and then get knocked out of the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

9 minutes ago, The Six said:

Unfortunately I don't think even the triumphant return of Stanley Cup Champion Randy Carlyle will help this Ducks team. They'll start off 5-10-4 and then get knocked out of the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

I don't really know what to expect from the Ducks this year. 

I do hope Rakell and Lindholm end up playing a game or two this season though.

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived