2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/30/2016 at 3:38 PM, the admiral said:

Sounds like the Blues are setting up an AHL expansion team in Kansas City, meaning that Las Vegas will inherit the Chicago Wolves. Good! I hope they sign Brandon Bollig, Ben Smith, and some other Cup-winning Blackhawks that no one much remembers, and then never play their prospects.

I could be down with KC, but Foley will likely try to buy and move the team. Early rumblings indicate his goal is farm team ownership, not just an affiliation. KC also means that Charlotte can slide over to the Eastern Conference.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Wolves aren't going anywhere dude. He might get a new team down the line but it won't be from relocating one of the most successful operations in minor-league sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I could be down with KC, but Foley will likely try to buy and move the Wolves. Early rumblings indicate his goal is farm team ownership, not just an affiliation. KC also means that Charlotte can slide over to the Eastern Conference.

The Wolves' ownership isn't selling any time soon. They're very set in their ways.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If this AHL expansion team is to play in the Sprint Center that would be a huge suprise to me. For the last 10 years all that I have heard is that the Sprint Center was profitable enough without a NHL or NBA team taking up 41+ dates so they didnt want a team. Now they are gonna let an AHL team in?

Also considering two teams, Charlotte and Milwaukee, just moved out of 17,000-seat arenas in favor of much more "intimate" venues. Maybe this team will play at Kemper if it hasn't been torn down yet.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Wolves aren't going anywhere dude. He might get a new team down the line but it won't be from relocating one of the most successful operations in minor-league sports.

The trick is getting them to sell. Some of the same people shouting that teams don't care about the success of their farm operations are saying the Wolves would never move. Everyone has lean years, look at the Amerks, they got to a place where the owner took an offer and they're one of the two tentpole franchises in this league. Luckily, Rochester makes a ton of sense to Buffalo.

Foley is precisely the type of owner who would overpay Levin and Myers for a franchise, just so he could move them closer.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, ICTknight said:

If this AHL expansion team is to play in the Sprint Center that would be a huge suprise to me. For the last 10 years all that I have heard is that the Sprint Center was profitable enough without a NHL or NBA team taking up 41+ dates so they didnt want a team. Now they are gonna let an AHL team in?

There's a difference in not seeking a team, to be an anchor tenant, and saying no, if someone comes calling. There are few places without an anchor tenant that would say no to a venue-friendly agreement with an option to terminate, if the team doesn't get butts in seats.

1 hour ago, ICTknight said:

Kemper was my thought too but it looks like it will be getting redeveloped into an amateur sports hub. Im not sure how that will affect the ability to host minor league hockey.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/news/local/article101135212.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Based on these plans, which have no mention of even being able to make ice, the layout won't work. 

Silverstein is really the only other choice. It's likely a little too cozy, though. Either way, if it happens, I don't see the mavericks sticking around for long, even if (or especially because) they are an independent ECHL team.

http://foutchbrothers.com/portfolio/kemper/

13 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The trick is getting them to sell. Some of the same people shouting that teams don't care about the success of their farm operations are saying the Wolves would never move. Everyone has lean years, look at the Amerks, they got to a place where the owner took an offer and they're one of the two tentpole franchises in this league. Luckily, Rochester makes a ton of sense to Buffalo.

Foley is precisely the type of owner who would overpay Levin and Myers for a franchise, just so he could move them closer.

I don't know what you know about Rosemont and the people who run it, but I suspect they're not easily going to let their arena lose its anchor tenant and the 300,000+ tickets and parking revenue (oh god, that sweeeeeet Rosemont Horizon parking money) each year that go with it. And even the dim bulbs running the AHL must realize moving a team that's thriving in the Chicago market does not project health, stability, or sound judgment.

In short, please stop wishcasting for a crappy idiot like Knight Rider here to take a team away from one of the few AHL fanbases that's a large and passionate group unto itself and not just in it for the parent team. 

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't know what you know about Rosemont and the people who run it, but I suspect they're not easily going to let their arena lose its anchor tenant and the 300,000+ tickets and parking revenue (oh god, that sweeeeeet Rosemont Horizon parking money) each year that go with it. And even the dim bulbs running the AHL must realize moving a team that's thriving in the Chicago market does not project health, stability, or sound judgment.

In short, please stop wishcasting for a crappy idiot like Knight Rider here to take a team away from one of the few AHL fanbases that's a large and passionate group unto itself and not just in it for the parent team. 

Dude, I'm not wishcasting. I've been of the opinion that the Blackhawks need to buy up the Wolves for awhile. I'm speaking pragmatically. If the Blues pull out, Chicago likely goes on the list of franchises that will change affiliates, every few years.

The Wolves attendance averages, so far this season, are their lowest ever, by more than 1,000, and down nearly 2,000, from last season. Maybe it's the start of a downward trend, maybe a one-off, but no a partnership with the Blackhawks is the best bet for continued Wolves existence. 

Anyway, my original comment (which was likely not clear enough) was not supposed to infer Foley buying them, but someone else moving in, for an affiliation, since Vegas sounds like they're looking to buy.

You specifically name-checked the Wolves' owners as people Foley would buy a team from. Was I supposed to think he was kicking the tires on the Phantoms?

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

You specifically name-checked the Wolves' owners as people Foley would buy a team from. Was I supposed to think he was kicking the tires on the Phantoms?

That wasn't in the initial response to Foley moving in:

6 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I could be down with KC, but Foley will likely want to try to buy and move the team. Early rumblings indicate his goal is farm team ownership, not just an affiliation. KC also means that Charlotte can slide over to the Eastern Conference.

Reviewing it I understand how my point may have been vague. 

Looking to get back into watching hockey. A couple of good games last night Pens-Stars and Devils-Hawks, east vs west match ups. Does all the teams in the NHL play each other at least once a season? Or is there another way to determine who plays who, east-west wise

27 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Looking to get back into watching hockey. A couple of good games last night Pens-Stars and Devils-Hawks, east vs west match ups. Does all the teams in the NHL play each other at least once a season? Or is there another way to determine who plays who, east-west wise

Every team plays each other at least twice. At least once at home, at least once on the road. For the opposite conference, it's just that, one home, one away. The rest is pretty complicated, so here's the scheduling matrix from NHL.com

The scheduling matrix, ensures that all 30 teams play in all 30 arenas at least once a season:

Eastern Conference (8-Team Divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND

4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 x 2 =10 games

* 4 x 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams).

Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 x 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 x 14 = 28 games

Western Conference (7-Team Divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games

* 5 games vs. five teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. two teams, 2 Home/3 Away vs. three teams) AND

4 games vs. one team (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 x 5 =25 games

* 1 x 4 = 4 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. three teams).

Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 x 7 = 21 games

Non-Conference: 32 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 x 16 = 32 games

Exception: One team from each division plays one less game inside division and one more game inside conference outside division.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-nhls-balance-of-power-is-shifting-to-the-eastern-conference

There needs to be like a Croix de Candlestick pin for anyone who can read this entire piece of crap. I got as far as the Capitals picture and just PgDned the rest of it. Awful, just awful.

Archived