2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

18 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The Wild took 5 points on a three-game trip to California.  The annual swoon is due to come soon but this feels a bit different.  I'm starting to think the talk in Minnesota this March may not be "will they make the playoffs?" but "will they open the playoffs at home?"

For real. I have seen the wild play these past three seasons and I have never felt this confident in a Minnesota squad before

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been 13 years since Brian Boucher set the modern day shutout streak record. 5 complete games, 332 minutes if I remember correct. Did it rocking some Eagles too, one of those brands that dropped from the pro ranks on most items. 

"NHL All-Star Goalie Mike Smith" is gonna have me giggling for days.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 minutes ago, Brass said:

Has Dave Lozo talked about how retired numbers are stupid or something like that yet?

He wrote a dickish thing about why the Blue Jackets are worse than the 93 Penguins because he felt the need to settle a debate nobody was having. 

Ooooh you really got us, dude. You're right, we are the worst team in NHL history to win 16 games in a row. Good thing you're here to make sure nobody's having any fun. 

F*** that guy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The whole thing was just a shaggy-dog setup to a punchline of "the Blue Jackets are coached by an idiot," which they are. It wasn't the worst thing he's ever done, it was just really bad anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't believe I'm witnessing an NHL season where the Detroit Red Wings are going to miss the playoffs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I can't believe I'm witnessing an NHL season where the Detroit Red Wings are going to miss the playoffs.

I have to see the monster die if I want to believe it.

10 points out with half a season to go- not exactly dead ducks.

3 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I have to see the monster die if I want to believe it.

10 points out with half a season to go- not exactly dead ducks.

It's hard to make up ground when so many games hand out three points. I think they're done.

So small bit of news we missed from Wednesday. Ovi got his 1,000th point in a beatdown of the Penguins on national TV. 

Safe to say that kind of cancelled out Liverpool's trash showing from Wednesday. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The whole thing was just a shaggy-dog setup to a punchline of "the Blue Jackets are coached by an idiot," which they are. It wasn't the worst thing he's ever done, it was just really bad anyway.

You could tell the winning streak was so annoying to a segment of the hockey press because it meant they couldn't dump on Tortorella in the same way that they loved that Team USA crashed at the World Cup because it meant they could dump on Tortorella. Nevermind it was a dumb tournament that didn't matter and USA wasn't playing with a full deck because Lombardi hates Kessell and Team NA poached at least 5 of our best players. Whatever. Also they can't stand it when teams don't fit into their predetermined boxes because it means they're wrong. And then he found a way to goof on a team who'd just won 16 straight games. You can almost see him fist pumping in his home office when he came up with the premise. You're right, we are worse than the 93 Penguins. I've never felt so owned. We should probably just fold the franchise and kill ourselves. 

It takes a special kind of wet blanket to see a team and fanbase experience some success for the first time ever and say "this needs to stop. I'm going to put an end to this"

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

He wrote a dickish thing about why the Blue Jackets are worse than the 93 Penguins because he felt the need to settle a debate nobody was having. 

Ooooh you really got us, dude. You're right, we are the worst team in NHL history to win 16 games in a row. Good thing you're here to make sure nobody's having any fun. 

F*** that guy.

Idk, I like him on Puck Soup with Greg Wyshynski.

38 minutes ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Idk, I like him on Puck Soup with Greg Wyshynski.

I can appreciate good cynicism from time to time, but I found his cynicism, joyless approach to the sport he covers, and disdain for the fans unlistenable. Plus, their "comedy" bits on that show are cringe inducing and way too long.

Wyshinski is fine when he's with Jeff Marek, which makes me think it's Lozo who is the bad influence. For the record, I didn't like him even before he set out to dump on my favorite team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived