2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, the admiral said:

WHAT

The man loves hockey, and Ted Turner was a man that went against the grain.  Ferrall would have his flair, then Kamal would "clean it up" with hockey insight.  For a team that wound up winning just 14 games, the calls on radio were pretty entertaining.  And to hear his storytelling of life with the expansion team is pretty damn funny.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

There's a big controversy brewing because the Wild's mascot pretended to beat up the the Blackhawks' mascot. OH MY GOD WHO CARES

A story on Snapchat covered it... They said, and I quote, 

ANIMAL CRUELTY

NHL Halftime Skit causes outrage after fans watch mascots violently assault Blackhawks' Mascot

A few things...

1. HALFTIME???? Yep, the same people who are freaking out about this would definitely call the intermission "Halftime" 

2. Mascots? I think if anything there was bystander effect as only Nordy beat him up... 

3. Of course they only mention the Hawks and forget about the Wild :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Chris Kuc from the Trib was the one who was Helen Lovejoying up a storm about how to explain to his seven-year-old son that a man in a furry suit pretended to beat up another man in another furry suit. If your son is mature enough to follow a team that plays a contact sport (not that this is a high bar), then he should be able to separate abstract cartoon play violence from hockey's real violence, and that running your shoulder into someone's face really hard is, for the intents and purposes of being a 2nd-grader at recess, just as situationally inappropriate as bludgeoning someone with a bat. Also, this was at intermission. If you brought your seven-year-old son to the game, how in the hell are you not getting up to walk around and use the bathroom at intermission? I'm over four times as old and I have to get up and spend the whole 15 minutes walking around or getting fresh air or otherwise taking myself away from sitting in a hockey rink. There could be a girl at center ice up to her wrist in herself and I'd miss it because it's intermission. And try explaining that one to your seven-year-old! 

As I thought more about it and what we've discussed in this thread the last few days, my theory is that this whole flap is just an Overton Window long-con: by establishing an extreme of "we can't let kids see mascots pretending to assault other mascots with weapons," we're more likely to settle at a comparatively moderate "we can't let kids see two dudes actually beat the crap out of each other," which was all anyone wanted all along.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you don't want to see two dudes beat the crap out of each other, watch the Ryan Reaves - Jared Boll fight from last night. 45 seconds, about eight punches in total land, and half of those connect with the upper arms. Gladiators. Real men. Old-school toughness. I'd rather have them bring a toilet out to center ice for a swirlie-off.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

If you don't want to see two dudes beat the crap out of each other, watch the Ryan Reaves - Jared Boll fight from last night. 45 seconds, about eight punches in total land, and half of those connect with the upper arms. Gladiators. Real men. Old-school toughness. I'd rather have them bring a toilet out to center ice for a swirlie-off.

Yeah that was... stupid

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I see the NHL experimented with "full time 4-on-4 with a cereal bowl full of cocaine on each bench" in Pittsburgh tonight. What in the hell?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I see the NHL experimented with "full time 4-on-4 with a cereal bowl full of cocaine on each bench" in Pittsburgh tonight. What in the hell?

That was one of the most bizarre games I've ever watched.  The Pens sleepwalked their way through the first 25 minutes of the game and trailed 3-0, before the entire SPCA rained down in the balance and finished 8-7. 

15 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Wow, that was really bad. More than anything, it was long. I'd like to see the league experiment with an unofficial ~ten-second clock: you get that much time to punch someone in the face or the linesmen TKO your terrible waste of everyone's time. We'll always have Aaron Downey one-punching Jesse Boulerice, at least.

Conspiracy theory: The league told officials to cut down on fighting, but decided not to tell the fans or media, which is actually kind of smart. I've seen more fights broken up before they happen this season than I ever have before. 

Penguins-Capitals was drunk and of course everyone had to get a point, but that was a fun time at the movies. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Conspiracy theory: The league told officials to cut down on fighting, but decided not to tell the fans or media, which is actually kind of smart. I've seen more fights broken up before they happen this season than I ever have before.

That is smart, which is why the NHL would never do it. However, you have to consider the NHL being the polar opposite of the usually conscientious NBA, which kicks off every season by yelling "TECHNICAL FOULS FOR FARTING OR WHATEVER AND WE MEAN IT THIS TIME" to any media outlet they can pin down, only to end up with even more lax officiating than they had the season before.

Ah well.  Little annoyed Holtby decided to concede 5 against the Penguins of all teams, but I'm not too broken up about losing.  It'll happen.  Now, onwards and upwards - towards a second round exit, as always.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Penguins-Capitals was drunk and of course everyone had to get a point, but that was a fun time at the movies. 

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/report-nhl-wants-linesmen-to-break-up-more-fights-before-they-start/

Sad to see Cappy go after having a few good years recently, but I think with the Isles being as awful as they are, it was necessary.

However, we're stuck with the idiot running our god-awful power play, Doug Weight..

Here's hoping we can hire Gerard Gallant.

Archived