2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

14 hours ago, JQK said:

It's amazing to me that, for how sh•t the Devils have played this first half, that they're still in the playoff hunt. Thats... nuts.

I do wish the NHL, if they are gonna keep the shootout, go to the 3-point system.

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for an OT/SO win

1 point for an OT/SO loss

0 points for a regulation loss

I could actually get behind this. I'm not a huge fan of the loser point, but I feel it's better than watching two teams play defense for 5 minutes, more often than not, because no one wants to risk the one point they "already have." A three-point system would be the best of both worlds.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, JQK said:

It's amazing to me that, for how sh•t the Devils have played this first half, that they're still in the playoff hunt. Thats... nuts.

I do wish the NHL, if they are gonna keep the shootout, go to the 3-point system.

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for an OT/SO win

1 point for an OT/SO loss

0 points for a regulation loss

I would tweak this to a 5-on-5 OT and give 3 for a regulation or OT win an split the points for a SO.  5-on-5 OT is an extension of actual hockey and not a skills competition.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Guys on the team I play with were talking about how the eastern conference is wide open at this point. How anybody could make it in right now. These are the people the league feasts on. One guy is a Devils fan. The Devils are currently six points back of Toronto with 3 more games played. That's a significant gap with a lot of teams in the way who'd have to not go on runs of their own. Crazier things have happened, but they're in a deeper hole than the standings make it appear at first glance.

My only qualms about the 3 point system is the standings would go back to 4 columns. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In an absolutely perfect world, loser points wouldn't exist at all, but that would only be reasonably possible if  ties were re-introduced; you can't justify a team getting two points over their opponent from winning the skills competition. Ludicrous to even consider. With that in mind, I've been in favor of a three-point system for years now, mostly because, with that system, there's a penalty for needing to go to overtime or the shootout to win the game (ROW's can still exist as a tiebreaker) and it means that every game has the same point value. After all, when it comes to late-season scoreboard watching especially, what do we all tend to hate the most? Not necessarily who might win a given game, but whether it goes to overtime or not. Ever since the original loser point was introduced, it's been absurd that some games end with 2-point distribution, and other games end up 3-points. Why on earth do we do this? If the games are all inherently equal, then their distribution should be equal. 

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

In an absolutely perfect world, loser points wouldn't exist at all, but that would only be reasonably possible if  ties were re-introduced; you can't justify a team getting two points over their opponent from winning the skills competition.

Hockey is a game of skill. Maybe you shouldn't get two points for running a left-wing lock and standing in front of shots.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Guys on the team I play with were talking about how the eastern conference is wide open at this point. How anybody could make it in right now. These are the people the league feasts on. One guy is a Devils fan. The Devils are currently six points back of Toronto with 3 more games played. That's a significant gap with a lot of teams in the way who'd have to not go on runs of their own. Crazier things have happened, but they're in a deeper hole than the standings make it appear at first glance.

My only qualms about the 3 point system is the standings would go back to 4 columns. 

The standings are already four columns; it's just that the league keeps the most important one hidden until after the all-star break.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"Skills competition" is unnecessarily pejorative for what the shootout is. It's not clocking shots or deking around traffic cones or being judged like a dunk contest. You're now just trying to put the puck in the net or keep it out in the most essential way possible. Penalty shots and breakaways occur far more naturally in regulation than three-on-three ever has. In the absence of infinite sudden death (the rejected title to a David Foster Wallace biography), it's a fair way to untie a game because it rewards the scoring of goals, which is the reason we're all here. It doesn't deserve half the crap it gets from people who think ending games with no winner at all is a viable business plan for a spectator sport.

The highlights they chose for some of these guys were weird too.

Teemu Selanne for instance: Winnipeg highlight, Winnipeg highlight, Winnipeg highlight, Winnipeg highlight, Winnipeg highlight, Colorado goal, Winnipeg highlight, and oh yeah, won the Cup in Anaheim.

Like yeah, he had the incredible rookie year in Winnipeg, but he only played 3+ seasons there. He played 14+ in Anaheim! You couldn't find anything to play in the background from those 14 seasons? Hell, he actually played more games for San Jose than he did for Winnipeg. But you manage to find one of his 16 goals from 78 games with the Avalanche?

Or Mark Messier, named a player of the 1980s, shows highlights mostly from the 90s. Even snuck a Canucks clip in. They even found 1980s player Mike Gartner on the decidedly 90s Phoenix Coyotes.

Whatever. Boring show, predictable yet inconsequential list. Let's hope they have a little more fun tomorrow (and I get to go! Show me your skillzzzzzz)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That they wouldn't show anything from his years in Anaheim with Kariya is strange, especially in Southern California, but let's be fair, his rookie season with the Jets is one of the greatest seasons any hockey player has ever had, so of course they're going to dwell on that.

I'd have skipped his San Jose/Colorado years without a second thought, for what that's worth.

I watched the last ~45 minutes on Friday night and my first thought was that Pat LaFontaine walked out stiff like he was Joe Namath. Then I watched other guys not that much older than me having a tough time for walking out.

Coffey, Sakic, and Messier looked great.

The 100 and snubs is another thread itself, but I felt bad watching the younger fellas bobble out.

Archived