2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Scoring is down? That surprises me. I've actually felt like with all the youths the games have been faster, but at the same time more mistake heavy. Maybe I've just been watching too many Leafs games. 

I'm in phone and at work, so it's hard for me to check, but I'm pretty sure that the raw goals-per-game is close to what it was before the 04-05 lockout.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is accurate, then scoring is actually up over last season; 2.78 goals-per-game compared to 2.71. And as low as that is it's still quite a bit higher than in the 3 seasons leading up to the lockout; 2.62 in 2001-02, 2.65 in 2002-03 and a meagre 2.57 in 2003-04, which is still the lowest-scoring season we've had in the last 60 years.

If the 2.78 holds up this year, it's about halfway between the 1995ish era/the immediate post-lockout years and the worst of the dead puck era of late 90s/early 2000s. The trend before this year had been pretty steadily down, much closer to the immediate pre-lockout years, where even the NHL realized that something had to be done. Only five seasons since expansion have had fewer goals per game than last year.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:35 AM, cmm said:

The Islanders are no longer butt.

They played like it tonight though.

I really like the effort under Weight.  He seems to have found a way to motivate the guys in a way Crapuano just couldn't.  For the most part looking good right now but we'll see how things are at the end of the road trip.

Gotta hand it to the Avs' fans. Tickets are still expensive, the team is garbage, and the management is awful, but the fans still show up and are loud most every night. Even going to a game when it's two lackluster teams (Avs vs. Isles a bit ago) the arena is still jumping. Granted, half the arena is in the other team's colors, but it's still got a good atmosphere.

As a Hawks fan, it thrills me that the Wild are Going For It™, because selling the farm for whatever barely perks its head above the generally available pile-o-crap at deadline time works out great in both the short and long term. Ask the 2015-16 Chicago Blackhawks.

Columbus comes off the bye week right into a back-to-back, and takes the weekend 12-2, because hockey makes no sense.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, that's a lot to give up for a third line center just to lose a 3-2 series lead and a home Game 7 in Round 2 to the Blackhawks.

To me, the only way this Bishop to LA move makes sense is if they're trading him for a goal-scorer between now and Wednesday. Like sure, having Bishop with Quick just coming back allows the Kings to not put all the pressure immediately on Quick. But it's not like Budaj couldn't have done the same thing. Hell, the Kings wouldn't be in a position to make a push without Budaj's play this season. But if they trade Bishop, their back-up options are the returned-to-earth/recently-unclaimed-on-waivers Jeff Zatkoff and the constant project that is Jack Campbell.

So, idk. I obviously hope the Kings look stupid at the end of this, but if they can find a scoring touch and keep Bishop and Quick as a tandem... ugh.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Yeah, that's a lot to give up for a third line center just to lose a 3-2 series lead and a home Game 7 in Round 2 to the Blackhawks.

To me, the only way this Bishop to LA move makes sense is if they're trading him for a goal-scorer between now and Wednesday. Like sure, having Bishop with Quick just coming back allows the Kings to not put all the pressure immediately on Quick. But it's not like Budaj couldn't have done the same thing. Hell, the Kings wouldn't be in a position to make a push without Budaj's play this season. But if they trade Bishop, their back-up options are the returned-to-earth/recently-unclaimed-on-waivers Jeff Zatkoff and the constant project that is Jack Campbell.

So, idk. I obviously hope the Kings look stupid at the end of this, but if they can find a scoring touch and keep Bishop and Quick as a tandem... ugh.

Sorry, I don't remember the Wild having Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, or Frederik Andersen... 

Hanzal is a decent pickup as a 4th line center. Ryan White was more or less take him if you want Hanzal. Don't forget, the Wild did resign Ryan Carter (Go Bears) for the rest of the year. So we'll have a decent 3rd and 4th line heading into the Playoffs, and some injury backup. (Ryan White just might be injury backup for the Iowa Wild. Assuming he can be sent down...) 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

34 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Sorry, I don't remember the Wild having Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, or Frederik Andersen...

This isn't the solid own you think it is.

Should I invest in a Hawks-Sharks WCF? I'm having trouble seeing any other outcome.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

No, you're right. Getzlaf, Perry, and Andersen went to the Conference Final before losing to the Blackhawks.

Again, keep talking yourself into it! I don't blame you! We all did it too!

Just... you know... those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it... and repeat it... and repeat it... and repeat it...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Hanzal is a decent pickup as a 4th line center.

Renting a 4th-line center for the rest of the season cost Minnesota a 1st-rounder, a 2nd-rounder, and another conditional 2nd-rounder.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Renting a 4th-line center for the rest of the season cost Minnesota a 1st-rounder, a 2nd-rounder, and another conditional 2nd-rounder.

We also have already drafted Erickson Ek, Kunin, and Kaprizov. Yeah it was definitely a little lofty on what we gave up for him, but he's still a good player, and I think he'll fit in nicely with the team. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

That's what I thought when I first saw the trade, but it sounds like they're keeping him in order to lessen Quick's workload. Budaj was great this season and I was disappointed to see him go. Unfortunately, his play was starting to slip of late. Also, Zatkoff never found his game and the team hasn't had confidence in him. I can't find the tweet, but someone mentioned that keeping Bishop prevents teams like Calgary, Winnipeg, and St. Louis from acquiring him.

Whatever happens these the rest of the year, Bishop won't be in LA next season anyways.   

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

We also have already drafted Erickson Ek, Kunin, and Kaprizov. Yeah it was definitely a little lofty on what we gave up for him, but he's still a good player, and I think he'll fit in nicely with the team. 

Giving up a first and a prospect for Antoine Vermette was a great trade because we won the Stanley Cup. Giving up a first and a prospect for Andrew Ladd was a terrible trade because we didn't. It's not "a little lofty," it puts you in Cup-or-bust mode, and you'll forgive me if I see the Hawks or Kings bumping these guys off once they get to sink their teeth into Devan Dubnyk for a series. The Coyotes thank you for the 26th pick in the draft, in all likelihood.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Columbus comes off the bye week right into a back-to-back, and takes the weekend 12-2, because hockey makes no sense.

I was expecting 2 regulation losses and a lot of panicking from first-time-in-this-position Blue Jackets fans. Like, "are we in danger of missing the playoffs?" type articles. "No, ya rubes" I would've said. I was prepared. Thank god it went the other way. Now we've swung back around to "we're for sure winning the whole damn thing." 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Giving up a first and a prospect for Antoine Vermette was a great trade because we won the Stanley Cup. Giving up a first and a prospect for Andrew Ladd was a terrible trade because we didn't. It's not "a little lofty," it puts you in Cup-or-bust mode, and you'll forgive me if I see the Hawks or Kings bumping these guys off once they get to sink their teeth into Devan Dubnyk for a series. The Coyotes thank you for the 26th pick in the draft, in all likelihood.

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade? 

Also, Devin Dubnyk is having a fantastic year, I don't think we'll lose a series because of him. Maybe last year that might have been true. If we're going to lose a series, it's probably because we can't find the back of the net. That's almost always been a problem with this roster. Now I do think they have the ability to go all the way, but losing a series won't be Duuubs fault... It'll be all of a sudden, no one can find the back of the net. But the Wild have shown resilience and depth all year. If the ZKG line isn't scoring, it's Staal's. If not his, then it's Pominville's. If not that line, it's Stewie's and the 4th line. 

Now I'm assuming that most of you have not watched the Wild regularly, but this year has been different. We've kept ourselves in games, we've scored timely goals, and we've kept the puck out of the net more often. We're a plus +60 on the year, with about 20 games to play. I don't think it's a fluke at this point... This whole year has felt different then years past. The Wild have something good going on here, so don't count them out already...

Archived