2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

EJ Hradek was just on radio here and said that Citi Field would host the Winter Classic and that the Rangers would be involved. Since their lease doesn't let them play a home game outside of MSG, I'm thinking it would be against the Islanders, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Apparently Rangers-Sabres is the leading matchup.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade? 

No. He's saying that the Wild are going Cup or Bust with this trade and sacrificing a bit of the future. If you're giving up that much, you better win the Cup because of or at least with that player to make the trade ultimately worth it. Otherwise, you gave away a year of prospects.

Duuubs... the ZKG line... Stewie...

Stop that.

Now I'm assuming that most of you have not watched the Wild regularly, but this year has been different. We've kept ourselves in games, we've scored timely goals, and we've kept the puck out of the net more often. We're a plus +60 on the year, with about 20 games to play. I don't think it's a fluke at this point... This whole year has felt different then years past. The Wild have something good going on here, so don't count them out already...

No one's saying it's a fluke. We're just saying 1) this is the Wild and 2) more importantly, this is Bruce Boudreau.

The Ducks and Capitals did everything in multiple regular seasons you just described about this season's Wild, and with better players, but ultimately all met the same playoff end. And what's the common thread through the Capitals, Ducks, and now Wild? It's Bruce. Regular seasons with Bruce are fun, but don't go expecting the playoffs to be the same carnival.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

45 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade?

When the trade is an expiring contract for a first-rounder plus an additional asset? Pretty much, yeah. The Hawks could have lost in the first to St. Louis without Andrew Ladd as well as they lost it with him. I think I'd rather have had the draft pick.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I swear, this Caps season is essentially a dead repeat of last season.  Start off pretty well, second or third in the division, then go absolutely insane in December-January, zoom ahead in the President's Trophy race, and ride that to the PT after a back-and-forth February-March.  The PT means people think they're better than they are, as they've been not super hot the last few weeks of the season they'll scrape by in the first round only to get shellacked again in the second.  

i cant wait

spacer.png

3 hours ago, cmm said:

EJ Hradek was just on radio here and said that Citi Field would host the Winter Classic and that the Rangers would be involved. Since their lease doesn't let them play a home game outside of MSG, I'm thinking it would be against the Islanders, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Apparently Rangers-Sabres is the leading matchup.

Sabres playing a "home" game in New York City would be a giant pile of horse crap.  There are SIX other teams (seven including the Rangers) that are closer to New York City in driving distance than the Sabres are.  Have the Capitals, Penguins, or Bruins play a home game at Citi Field... they're all closer to NYC than Buffalo is.  If the Rangers have to do this stupid shell game to have outdoor games, maybe they just shouldn't get to fake host any.  This is like a Power 5 football team buying a home game from a mid-major.  The Sabres' arena was built with taxpayer money, too, so maybe they shouldn't play a home game 300 miles away in service of almighty New York City.  Go eff yourselves, Rangers.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Sabres playing a "home" game in New York City would be a giant pile of horse crap.  There are SIX other teams (seven including the Rangers) that are closer to New York City in driving distance than the Sabres are.  Have the Capitals, Penguins, or Bruins play a home game at Citi Field... they're all closer to NYC than Buffalo is.  If the Rangers have to do this stupid shell game to have outdoor games, maybe they just shouldn't get to fake host any.  This is like a Power 5 football team buying a home game from a mid-major.  The Sabres' arena was built with taxpayer money, too, so maybe they shouldn't play a home game 300 miles away in service of almighty New York City.  Go eff yourselves, Rangers.

Nothing's official. Maybe the city and MSG worked something out allowing them to host, or maybe Hradek heard wrong about the site or teams. But if it is Rangers "at" Sabres in Queens...yeah. And how could anyone expect the Barclays people to respect the Islanders if their own league puts a Winter Classic on Long Island and doesn't even invite them?

35 minutes ago, cmm said:

Nothing's official. Maybe the city and MSG worked something out allowing them to host, or maybe Hradek heard wrong about the site or teams. But if it is Rangers "at" Sabres in Queens...yeah.

Well, I held back some vitriol because I just don't see it happening.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

So the Blues are packing it in?

Packing it in =/= getting some future assets at the deadline for a guy you have 0% chance of resigning

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Blues have to eat 39% of Shattenkirk's salary, too. This trade deadline is a sublime delight so far.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Packing it in =/= getting some future assets at the deadline for a guy you have 0% chance of resigning

They may not have packed it in, but they're certainly stocking up on boxes and tape. They weren't in very good shape for the playoffs before today and by losing their second-best defenseman for draft picks, surprise, they're in worse shape. Saying "they can have it both ways, they can go for the playoffs where Anything Can Happen(TM) (it usually doesn't) and get future assets! Both can be true!" is some serious 11-dimensional chess. If you're serious about contending, you hang on to one of the better offensive defensemen in the league. Then when he scurries off for New York in the offseason, hey, you have cap space to spend on other guys and at least you gave the playoffs your best shot. You don't necessarily have to buy at the deadline if you're in a playoff spot, but you owe it to yourselves not to sell. This is a white flag trade, plain and simple, from an organization that's fending off allegations of cheapness and poorness and really can't afford the likelihood of thus uninviting themselves from the playoffs.

EDIT: they retained salary?! lol wut

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived