2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

They may not have packed it in, but they're certainly stocking up on boxes and tape. They weren't in very good shape for the playoffs before today and by losing their second-best defenseman for draft picks, surprise, they're in worse shape. Saying "they can have it both ways, they can go for the playoffs where Anything Can Happen(TM) (it usually doesn't) and get future assets! Both can be true!" is some serious 11-dimensional chess. If you're serious about contending, you hang on to one of the better offensive defensemen in the league. Then when he scurries off for New York in the offseason, hey, you have cap space to spend on other guys and at least you gave the playoffs your best shot. You don't necessarily have to buy at the deadline if you're in a playoff spot, but you owe it to yourselves not to sell. This is a white flag trade, plain and simple, from an organization that's fending off allegations of cheapness and poorness and really can't afford the likelihood of thus uninviting themselves from the playoffs.

EDIT: they retained salary?! lol wut

And, the Caps' first rounder will likely be pretty low and the 2nd rounder is whatever. It's a steep price for a rental, for sure, and the Caps' defensive core is actually relatively stacked (Niskanen, Carlson, Orlov). But this is a really exciting deal. To get the same price on Shattenkirk as Minny did for Hanzal while getting St. Louis to retain a decent amount of salary is golden. 

All I ask is that Zach Sanford not become the next Filip Forsberg. 

spacer.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, the admiral said:

They may not have packed it in, but they're certainly stocking up on boxes and tape. They weren't in very good shape for the playoffs before today and by losing their second-best defenseman for draft picks, surprise, they're in worse shape. Saying "they can have it both ways, they can go for the playoffs where Anything Can Happen(TM) (it usually doesn't) and get future assets! Both can be true!" is some serious 11-dimensional chess. If you're serious about contending, you hang on to one of the better offensive defensemen in the league. Then when he scurries off for New York in the offseason, hey, you have cap space to spend on other guys and at least you gave the playoffs your best shot. You don't necessarily have to buy at the deadline if you're in a playoff spot, but you owe it to yourselves not to sell. This is a white flag trade, plain and simple, from an organization that's fending off allegations of cheapness and poorness and really can't afford the likelihood of thus uninviting themselves from the playoffs.

EDIT: they retained salary?! lol wut

Fair point, and I guess it comes down to the perspective of the coach. While I don't think this makes the Blues "sellers" my guess is that it is just their perspective on trying to get something for Shattenkirk while they still had him because they certainly aren't receiving a Stanley Cup in exchange for his services.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

16 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

With an expansion draft looming, I think this trade deadline is going to be crazy.  Tampa already moved Bishop so they wouldn't have to make that decision in the summer.

In fairness, I don't think there was a decision to make. The writing was on the wall for Bishop in Tampa once they signed Vasilevskiy in the off-season through most of his RFA years. Personally, I don't like it, but I was in the camp that felt Bishop was a better fit for the Lightning and that Vasi is still not quite there yet to be a consistent #1 for a team with deep playoff aspirations (Bishop was absolute money in the playoffs the last two years; just excellent). There was a reasonable argument that, with Vasi's age, and the Lightning's impending cap issues as well as the nightmares the expansion draft creates, that going in this direction was proper, and if Yzerman didn't like their chances of getting to the playoffs, then that's just the way it was gonna have to be. Obviously, in hindsight, it would've been better to trade Bishop for several different reasons then, not the least of which would've been the return he would've fetched (would've been better than what they got now instead, for sure), but, as I said at the start of the off-season a year ago, that was always going to be an enormously tough decision for Yzerman to make, and one that he could easily get wrong despite his best intentions and efforts. No regrets with that. Several other things have gone horribly wrong this season to have put the Lightning in a situation where not only are they unlikely to make the playoffs but that they are selling off pieces at the trade deadline. What a horrific season.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Don't use stupid little nicknames. It's fine on your Minnesota Wild forums, but we don't want to read that crap here.

Well it's easier than typing them all out... I definitely don't say ZKG line in real life. Zucker-Koivu-Granlund just takes up a lot in the twitter word limit :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

But not all of us are familiar with the Minnesota Wild that we're on a nickname basis. If you're going to post about them give us the courtesy of spelling their entire names so we can better understand what you're talking about. 

I want the CBJs to stand pat at the deadline. Bobby and Korpi were awesome this past weekend. Wenny is a legit number one center. His pass to Fliggy on Saturday night was sick. If Boone, Dubi, and Cammie stay hot up until the playoffs it's not inconceivable they could win a series or two. We roll four lines and our depth is killer just look at Saader and Hartsy are on the fourth line and Bjorks is gonna light it up down the stretch. Just need to get the power play clicking again and Gags has to start hitting the net, but I like where we are defensively now that Savi's back, Jonesy and Z, Murrz, and Nooti, and JMFJ has recently found another gear. 

See how annoying that is? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

DANGLE SAUCE SNIPE CELLY CHEDDAR *single gunshot rings out*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I think the trade deadline is far too late in the season. Move it up on the calendar by about ten games. 

I don't know, I like the last ~25% of the season for the trade deadline. Feels like some years it's been even later.

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

What a horrific season.

For everyone. This is one of the worst NHL seasons since the lockout, and that includes the one where for three months there were no games. Mediocrity abounds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=976&pid=1714668

The Taylor Hall episode of Spittin' Chiclets is quality.  Taylor Hall is a total shark. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oduya back to the Hawks for first-round bust McNeill and a conditional fourth. Make your jokes about how our blue line of Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Campbell, and Rozsival are poised to win the 2014 Stanley Cup.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived