2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

Maxim Shalunov is reportedly close to bailing on the KHL and joining the Hawks. Boy, if we get any more Russians on this team, we might take down another political party.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Jannik Hansen to the Sharks for Goldobin.

homer-good

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Steve Ott to the Canadiens.

.homer-bad

Hit seems we 'ave trobble widd de goalss, dey har not going ghin da net ass much has we'd hlike dem to. Pair aps hif, we hacquire ha guy 'oo honly takes stoopid pen-al-teees hand should husually be a 'ealthy scratch, den da road to de Stanley Cup will be hopen! But dis...Steve Hot, does ee speak French?

The best thing about the Hansen pick up was that it should - should, mind you - finally force DeBoer's hand and push Hayley out of the lineup for good. A bottom line of Hansen/Tierney/Karlsson could be pretty formidable in the postseason and with Donskoi coming back, I feel reasonably confident the Sharks can make it back to the WCF. Of course, they'd lose to Chicago in 6 because sports are no fun and everyone I hates win, but should someone come out and slay them, then we could potentially have a repeat of the '08-'09 Finals match-ups. And considering how that turned out, I'd be more than okay with it. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Bergevin, what are you doing?

Edit- Just picked up Dwight King. The Cup is ours.

Landing Duchesne or another top free agent is such a longshot by now, I don't see it happening. At least we're fully stocked up on 4th liners.

For now, we can welcome Dwight Roy. ;)

Edit: Habs get another 4th liner in exchange for Sven Andrigetto. Yay.

This deadline blows because there's like 4 teams willing to admit they're sellers, one of them is the stupid Avalanches, and Vegas is throwing a wrinkle into the mix knowing that if you acquire someone you're going to leave another player exposed. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This deadline blows because there's like 4 teams willing to admit they're sellers, one of them is the stupid Avalanches, and Vegas is throwing a wrinkle into the mix knowing that if you acquire someone you're going to leave another player exposed. 

For sellers, you can solve some expansion problems. Canucks did it with the Hansen trade, player they got back is exempt from expansion draft. 

I've been thinking more about this Shattenkirk deal, and the more I think about it, the more I like it.  Obviously there's Shatt, who played around 18 minutes on Tuesday night and made an impact on the PP.  The Caps' power play always seems to choke (like the rest of the team) in the playoffs, so getting one of the best power play QB's in the league will hopefully help with that.  As I mentioned, the picks don't hurt too bad since the 1st will be a low 1st and the 2nd may never be an NHLer.  Sanford is the only thing that worries me, he's a very good prospect, and the last thing the Caps need is to trade away another young sniper stud.

One piece that's being overlooked though I think is Phoenix Copley, the goalie we got in addition to Shatt.  Copley was initially our prospect but we traded him to the Blues in the Oshie deal.  He may end up being valuable since Vegas will almost certainly take Grubauer in the Expansion Draft.  Copley is a good goalie prospect and he may be able to be another solid backup to Holtby if (and more likely, when) Grubauer leaves.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Streit to Pittsburgh for a 4th round going to Tampa

So the Lightning moving Filppula & and 4th and 7th to Philly for Streit and then moving Streit to Pitt for a 4th essentially moves Filppula for cap space this offseason and opens a protected spot in the expansion draft because he has a no move clause.

It's great to see PK Subban back home. Too bad he's playing for the other team. Weber's okay, but still.

There's a lot of yellow/navy 76 jerseys and signs in the crowd tonight. Several boxes of tissue need to be passed around.

10 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Just waiting for the Penguins to pull a Vancouver in the summer and trade Fleury and Murray...

There's lot of odd trades and agreements when it comes to expansion drafts.  I'm sure the Penguins will expose Fleury if he's able to be exposed.  If he has to be protected, I'm sure Pittsburgh would like to talk Vegas into a "If you take on Fleury, we'll give you these picks or prospects" deal.

Vegas is going to be in the business of acquiring as many youth assets as possible, whether it's extra picks or prospects.  But something Vegas has to do that the previous expansion teams didn't have to worry about....the Golden Knights have to "make weight".  They have to deal with a salary cap/floor.  They'll be taking on a couple or so heavy contracts.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Vegas molds their roster.

Archived