2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

12 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I know Bill Foley and the Las Vegas Golden Knights are a textbook case #2 of what's wrong with the NHL's decision-making, but I do appreciate his willingness to reach out to Utah (hello St. George!), which is about the only reasonable part of the Rockies that make any geographical (or any other kind of) sense in his statement.

Now, if Las Vegas is as big of a flop as most of us think it will be, he could (assuming he'd still own the team then) make the Golden Knights a true Rocky Mountain team by making them the Golden Eagles. You know, the Salt Lake Golden Eagles. 

Terminator-Smile.gif

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Jets shut out the Blues, who have now lost five straight in regulation but won't admit they've packed it in. I'd love to see the Jets rattle off like eight in a row and get all these talented guys into the playoffs but let's see if they can even win three in a row.

They'll get so far behind in the playoff race, then get a hot streak going, only to end up like 4 points out and in 10th place.

Seen that move before.

22 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

This doesn't make sense. how could vegas take him if he has to be protected?

Expansion drafts tend to spawn a lot of handshake agreements between the new team and the established.

So say Pittsburgh has to protect Fleury.....this means Pittsburgh has to expose someone they wanted to protect.  Now Vegas could take their best exposed player and make 29 similar decisions with other rosters, or...in the case of what just about every expansion team needing to fill out 3 teams rosters (parent club, AHL, ECHL, etc.) does...you start making deals with these teams in order to acquire more assets.  So Vegas and Pittsburgh start discussing the expansion selection.  They make a pact where Vegas will take whichever guy Pittsburgh wanted to protect, then Vegas will trade him back to Pittsburgh and get back a player Pittsburgh was required to keep (Fleury), along with a couple prospects and/or picks to thank them for doing the Penguins a solid.

It's going to be really fascinating to see not just how Vegas molds their roster and build their teams, but just seeing the strategy teams use in protecting their players.  There's going to be some big names on the exposed lists.  There's going to be some players that'll make you say "Whoa, you're exposing him?!", but Vegas is going to be involved in so many transactions that day that a decent chunk of their selected players never actually see the ice in Vegas come October.

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Why the hell would you trade that guy? 

If you were referring to Fleury...simple.  Murray's their guy now, and if Pittsburgh is smart, they free up Fleury's money to get as much out of the Crosby/Malkin prime era as they can.

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I know Bill Foley and the Las Vegas Golden Knights are a textbook case #2 of what's wrong with the NHL's decision-making, but I do appreciate his willingness to reach out to Utah (hello St. George!), which is about the only reasonable part of the Rockies that make any geographical (or any other kind of) sense in his statement.

Now, if Las Vegas is as big of a flop as most of us think it will be, he could (assuming he'd still own the team then) make the Golden Knights a true Rocky Mountain team by making them the Golden Eagles. You know, the Salt Lake Golden Eagles. 

Terminator-Smile.gif

I've honestly always thought that SLC would make a good NHL market. They've embraced the Jazz, and have always supported minor/semi-pro hockey well, at least as far as I know. 

sig.png

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

If you were referring to Fleury...simple.  Murray's their guy now, and if Pittsburgh is smart, they free up Fleury's money to get as much out of the Crosby/Malkin prime era as they can.

No I was referring to Subban. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I've honestly always thought that SLC would make a good NHL market. They've embraced the Jazz, and have always supported minor/semi-pro hockey well, at least as far as I know.

No, I don't think hockey has taken in Utah quite the way we'd think it would have. The most recent USA Hockey numbers I can find say there are about 4,100 registered players in the state, which puts them near, but still below, the smaller New England states with a third of Utah's population or less. Much like Indiana, it's a basketball state. Think the way Catholic schools all get into basketball, but with Mormons.

No I was referring to Subban. 

The only scenario I can imagine where I'd let go of Subban would be some kind of personal issue that made his continued presence in the dressing room absolutely untenable, like, if he banged Max Pacioretty's mom, and even then, I'd be more inclined to trade Pacioretty. He'd have to have done Price's mom at the same time. The Habs still might come out on the winning end of the trade in the short term, but there's no way this won't torch them in five years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Comparing P. K. Subban to Delonte West? I don't think P. K. would ever stoop that low. I think that the situation between Coach & Player was bad. It's sometimes easier to trade a player than fire a coach, and I assume this was one of those times even though said coach was eventually fired. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 3/3/2017 at 0:23 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

We only torch downtown when we win or lose in the Finals, not the first round.

Wrong. When we lose, everyone goes home without a peep. When we win, all hell breaks loose. ;)

No but in all seriousness, the last time the Habs won the 2nd round, I was downtown celebrating and there was no violence or very little. It's too bad because the select few groups of trouble makers (who consist of approximately only 1% of the entire Canadiens fanbase) give the entire fanbase a bad name.

But now with hundreds of riot squad members armed with large batons lined up at every intersection during each playoff series, it's going to tougher for those groups to cause chaos without consequence.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Comparing P. K. Subban to Delonte West? I don't think P. K. would ever stoop that low. I think that the situation between Coach & Player was bad. It's sometimes easier to trade a player than fire a coach, and I assume this was one of those times even though said coach was eventually fired. 

"It's easier to do x than y, even though they did y anyway."

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

No, I don't think hockey has taken in Utah quite the way we'd think it would have. The most recent USA Hockey numbers I can find say there are about 4,100 registered players in the state, which puts them near, but still below, the smaller New England states with a third of Utah's population or less. Much like Indiana, it's a basketball state. Think the way Catholic schools all get into basketball, but with Mormons.

Both fair points to be made, as I've made the Indiana-Utah connection on a more than a few occasions--and the Jazz even have Indiana natives George Hill and Gordon Hayward on their roster!  I think NHL hockey could work in Salt Lake, but it would need an owner with Sam Battistone's mild insanity to pick Salt Lake City over Quebec or Portland/Seattle and/or Larry H. Miller's dedication to the market to make it work.

But, checking USA Hockey membership numbers, at least from a couple years ago and assuming rates have generally been steady since, Utah has 4100 players to Nevada's 1300 (with probably about 90-95% of that 1300 in Las Vegas). While there may be better markets out there, I have no doubt in my mind that Salt Lake would be an improvement over Las Vegas.

In short, though? I'd love to see the NHL in Salt Lake, but I doubt it happens. More realistically? I'd love to see AAA hockey come back, though hopefully with a more independent ownership than that of a parent team who could move the team on a whim, and the ECHL's Grizzlies have done well in a smaller pond the last 10 years.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

This is why you need to Grow Teh Game in Quebec, because apparently a Subban-Therrien conflict came down to who else could coach the Habs and speak French, and the answer was "only this mob-henchman-looking chud who always gets fired."

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Both fair points to be made, as I've made the Indiana-Utah connection on a more than a few occasions--and the Jazz even have Indiana natives George Hill and Gordon Hayward on their roster!  I think NHL hockey could work in Salt Lake, but it would need an owner with Sam Battistone's mild insanity to pick Salt Lake City over Quebec or Portland/Seattle and/or Larry H. Miller's dedication to the market to make it work.

But, checking USA Hockey membership numbers, at least from a couple years ago and assuming rates have generally been steady since, Utah has 4100 players to Nevada's 1300 (with probably about 90-95% of that 1300 in Las Vegas). While there may be better markets out there, I have no doubt in my mind that Salt Lake would be an improvement over Las Vegas.

In short, though? I'd love to see the NHL in Salt Lake, but I doubt it happens. More realistically? I'd love to see AAA hockey come back, though hopefully with a more independent ownership than that of a parent team who could move the team on a whim, and the ECHL's Grizzlies have done well in a smaller pond the last 10 years.

Mild rebuttal.  The Jazz bailing on New Orleans for Utah wasn't seen as a completely nutso move because the ABA had had notable success there (Stars folded because the owner lost his money on a bunch of things that weren't basketball, and St. Louis was going to move there if there had been another ABA seaon.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Jazz are the reason why the NHL should avoid SLC.  

Pretty much, at this point. Going up against the Jazz on a day in, day out, basis would be Challenge #1 for an NHL team wanting to set up shop there.

I'm not saying it can't be done there or in any (near-)NBA-only city such as Portland or Oklahoma City, but the odds are pretty heavily stacked against it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

5 hours ago, rams80 said:

Mild rebuttal.  The Jazz bailing on New Orleans for Utah wasn't seen as a completely nutso move because the ABA had had notable success there (Stars folded because the owner lost his money on a bunch of things that weren't basketball, and St. Louis was going to move there if there had been another ABA seaon.)

Agreed. There was definitely some logic to it, given the Jazz's spiritual predecessor in the ABA Stars and their success/support, and the Spirits of St. Louis planning to merge with the Stars and play under the Utah Rockies moniker. Granted, the Jazz' move to Salt Lake had to do with Battistone himself (California Mormon whose wife hailed from Utah), but it still astounds me that Salt Lake City was picked over Minneapolis, Toronto, Miami, or Dallas (OK, they were probably awarded their franchise by the time Jazz moved, but still) when it happened.

That said, it would take that combination of someone wanting to set up shop in a smaller market against an NBA team and someone willing to stabilize it (or having the same owner as the NBA team, in Portland's case) for the NHL to work in Salt Lake City or any (near-)NBA-only city (or vice-versa for non-NBA NHL cities like Pittsburgh or St. Louis); I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice in Utah.

But maybe Salt Lake gets AAA-level hockey again?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

Yeah, that makes the most sense if the AHL is to assume a national footprint. I'd look at Salt Lake City (or West Valley City as the case may be) as a replacement for Stockton, Bakersfield, or The NHL's Best Rec Complex.

This Avs team is sweet, sweet karma for every anti-Canadian dickhead who reveled in the Oilers' years of miserable failure. Hey, look, guess Edmonton doesn't hold the trademark on high-drafting, low-depth run-and-gun teams getting lit up like a Christmas tree. This team was meant to be good and they're worse than the Sabres team that tanked for McEichel. Fail forever while mumbling Sakicforsbergandwah-Sakicforsbergandwah like some magical incantation that makes your team anything but a filthy rich guy's neglected old toy.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

This team was meant to be good and they're worse than the Sabres team that tanked for McEichel.

I think someone forgot to remind them that McDavid & Eichel were drafted two years ago.

Archived