2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, that makes the most sense if the AHL is to assume a national footprint. I'd look at Salt Lake City (or West Valley City as the case may be) as a replacement for Stockton, Bakersfield, or The NHL's Best Rec Complex.

Why would they have to replace one of those? Vegas is coming in and they'll probably need their own affiliate. SLC would be a good spot for them. 

I could see Stockton or Bakersfield moving closer to Alberta eventually, but not for a while. Of the three, San Jose (who play at the Tank btw) should be the first to go. If and when the Oilers or Flames move their affiliate closer to home, I could see the Sharks moving their team to that city (preferably Stockton), or maybe even Fresno or Reno.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa damn the Flames have won seven in a row and can bust the Ducks down to the wild cards. I'll take a Battle of Alberta in the first round, especially in lieu of this boring-ass go-nowhere Ducks team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Whoa damn the Flames have won seven in a row and can bust the Ducks down to the wild cards. I'll take a Battle of Alberta in the first round, especially in lieu of this boring-ass go-nowhere Ducks team.

The Canucks swept SoCal this weekend, so the Ducks are tied with Calgary at the moment.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Anaheim still has a game in hand, and the Oilers can't seem to hold second place for more than a day or two without booting it back to the Ducks.

And I realize full well that I've now jinxed it and the Ducks will win the West when John Gibson finally, as promised, changes the way we ever thought about goaltending instead of merely being a really good goalie like, you know, the last seven or eight Anaheim goalies or whatever it's been.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/4/2017 at 9:10 PM, the admiral said:

This Avs team is sweet, sweet karma for every anti-Canadian dickhead who reveled in the Oilers' years of miserable failure. Hey, look, guess Edmonton doesn't hold the trademark on high-drafting, low-depth run-and-gun teams getting lit up like a Christmas tree. This team was meant to be good and they're worse than the Sabres team that tanked for McEichel. Fail forever while mumbling Sakicforsbergandwah-Sakicforsbergandwah like some magical incantation that makes your team anything but a filthy rich guy's neglected old toy.

"Gabriel Landeskog is Toews. MacKinnon is Kane!" they shouted. Yeah and the Blackhawks also were smart enough to surround those guys with other lines of forwards and very good defenseman. They have 37 points in 64 games which is on pace for 47 in the full season. That would easily be the worst record in the shootout era. Worse than teams who were trying to be bad. They won 52 games three years ago. 

On 3/4/2017 at 8:58 PM, habsfan1 said:

worst play of the year...

Blake Comeau was a decent third/fourth line guy on several different playoff teams. Puts on the Avs' Bettman stripes and forgets how to play the sport. This is what guys look like when they're overthinking and have no confidence. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

We did it. The New York Islanders are in a playoff spot.

Now let's hope Toronto keeps losing, and we can turn it around.

I don't know who your "we" is, but I would like to see the kids on the Leafs get some playoff games. 

Though that is null and void if my "we" (Lightning) are able to climb all the way back. That is doubtful. 

I'm okay with saying "we" when talking about your favorite team. It's faster. 

The Leafs have won 28 out of 64 games. That's not good. I don't think this will be their year. Next year when they're more experienced and can turn all of those OT losses into wins then I expect them to be in the playoffs. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sergei Bobrovsky has a shutout in 3 straight starts. The start before that he held Montreal scoreless in regulation before losing in overtime. So he hasn't allowed a goal in regulation in four starts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, cmm said:

This "controversy" is beyond stupid. I guess Justin Schultz shouldn't wear #4 for the Penguins since that was Bobby Orr's number.4

It would merely take another 2-3 players to debut/change to #66 for this to really stop being a thing.

That it's one single guy making a debut makes it clickbait.

I might say it's a story if it were a Flyers high draft pick.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I'd rather see the Leafs in the playoffs than the Islanders.

The Toronto young gun rookies are way more interesting. Forgive me if you will, but I'm not enthralled with John Tavares and I find his Isles to be quite frankly not that interesting.

Auston Matthews is exciting. Tavares just doesn't do it for me..

And Barclays Center might be the worst environment/atmosphere for postseason games as we saw with the Nets for a few years

8 hours ago, cmm said:

This "controversy" is beyond stupid. I guess Justin Schultz shouldn't wear #4 for the Penguins since that was Bobby Orr's number.

66.png

I think he's going to be one of those guys who seem to attract this kind of dumb attention, whether or not he deserves it (think PK). He's brown-skinned, Jewish, and he actually has a personality. It's going to encourage certain creeps to come out of the woodwork. Thank goodness he wasn't drafted by Toronto or Montreal.

Archived