2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

On 2/27/2017 at 2:35 PM, chcarlson23 said:

Also, Devin Dubnyk is having a fantastic year, I don't think we'll lose a series because of him. Maybe last year that might have been true. If we're going to lose a series, it's probably because we can't find the back of the net. That's almost always been a problem with this roster. Now I do think they have the ability to go all the way, but losing a series won't be Duuubs fault... It'll be all of a sudden, no one can find the back of the net. But the Wild have shown resilience and depth all year. If the ZKG line isn't scoring, it's Staal's. If not his, then it's Pominville's. If not that line, it's Stewie's and the 4th line. 

Now I'm assuming that most of you have not watched the Wild regularly, but this year has been different. We've kept ourselves in games, we've scored timely goals, and we've kept the puck out of the net more often. We're a plus +60 on the year, with about 20 games to play. I don't think it's a fluke at this point... This whole year has felt different then years past. The Wild have something good going on here, so don't count them out already...

How do you delete comments??? Anyone?

And no, I'm not giving up on the team, but when the Wild overwork Dubnyk, the wheels start to fall off. The Wild broke out off a scoring slump with 4 goals yesterday... But Dubnyk went 16-21 for a 0.762 SV%. We scored 4 goals and lost! Three weeks ago, I would have said that this could be the Wild's year. But now? It's looking like the Wild will back into the playoffs, only winning a handful of games, maybe beat the Preds or Blues, and then lose to whoever in the next round. 

I don't want to believe this, but every year, Minnesota sports syndrome comes through and kills the team... Boom! Minnesota goes down again! 

(Why doesn't this kinda :censored: happen to teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh?) 

Maybe they'll surprise us all, but it's doubtful the way this team is playing... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I don't want to believe this, but every year, Minnesota sports syndrome comes through and kills the team... Boom! Minnesota goes down again! 

The Bears are a mess, the Bulls are a mess, the Sox are a mess, and the Pirates had a losing record for like 20 years. The Blackhawks almost went bankrupt and the Penguins almost moved.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, The Six said:

A writer said the team that I root for is going to be bad, but they're good! I hate writers!

That's not what's happening here. Plenty of other, better writers also said they were going to be bad, but when they won 47 out of 71 games those writers were grown up enough to give the team some credit without calling a fanbase stupid for enjoying a good team for the first time ever.  

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think at this point it's more that he keeps saying they're bad and keeps antagonizing their fans, usually by reusing Chapo Trap House/Weird Twitter jokes about brain diseases and large adult sons, plus the intellectual dishonesty of deciding they're bad because their coach hurt his feelings and then working backward from his conclusion while claiming to be objective. I see why it's a real pain in the ass for Jackets fans.

It's an enormous pain the ass because now he's just trolling and his editor is trolling and their buddy lozo has joined in. The Hawks, Bruins, and Penguins didn't have to deal with this when they dug themselves out of the basement and you wouldn't know it by their coverage, but the Leafs have fewer points than the Jackets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

The Blackhawks used to be ranked by ESPN as the worst-run franchise in sports.

The Cubs from 2010-2015 never won more than 75 games.  

The White Sox are sub-500 for the entire 2000's (542-592) and haven't made the playoffs since 2008.

The Bears have gone 38-56 since their last playoff appearance in 2010/11.  They are terrible.

In the 19 years since Jordan's final championship, the Bulls have done the following:

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 4.01.46 PM.png

They too should be in consideration with the Bears to be currently one of the worst-run franchises in sports.

Don't be so hasty to bring up Chicago sports as this beacon of greatness just because the Blackhawks are currently a well-oiled machine.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

And no, I'm not giving up on the team, but when the Wild overwork Dubnyk, the wheels start to fall off. The Wild broke out off a scoring slump with 4 goals yesterday... But Dubnyk went 16-21 for a 0.762 SV%. We scored 4 goals and lost! Three weeks ago, I would have said that this could be the Wild's year. But now? It's looking like the Wild will back into the playoffs, only winning a handful of games, maybe beat the Preds or Blues, and then lose to whoever in the next round. 

Maybe they'll surprise us all, but it's doubtful the way this team is playing... 

I have to admit that I thought the annual swoon was not going to happen this year.  But the Wild, as it turns out, still have a ceiling of mediocre.  Time to blow this team up and start over.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

You're showing your youth here. The Penguins and Blackhawks being good still seems like a new thing to me.

Who could forget the 2004 Penguins and their leading scorer Dick Tarnstrom? No one, because no one was there to remember it in the first place.

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Who could forget the 2004 Penguins and their leading scorer Dick Tarnstrom? No one, because no one was there to remember it in the first place.

I'm still shocked that's a real name. And not something the game randomly generates when you go to create a player in NHL 2005.

We're all better off tossing "Head Coach Eddie Olczyk" down the memory hole. I wish I could do the same with "Blackhawks Color Commentator Eddie Olczyk."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know, I thought the same thing about that guy in the NFL named "Lardarius Webb." THIS IS THE DAWNING OF THE AGE OF LARDARIUS, AGE OF LARDARIUS...

Eddie Olczyk is the Winston Churchill's Democracy of local hockey color commentators.

BARKEVIOUS MINGO

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I cleaned Dick Tarnstrom's rental house after he left Columbus. Pretty clean and tidy guy, didn't leave anything cool or noteworthy behind. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

It'ssss creeeeeepinnnnnggggg innnnnnnnnn

Also, have fun with Boudreau handling goaltenders. ;) 

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This mild winter in the Midwest is messing with everyone's sense of time. Usually we have to wait for the second round of the playoffs for Bruce Boudreau to start crapping all over himself.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

You're showing your youth here. The Penguins and Blackhawks being good still seems like a new thing to me.

There's no question that the Penguins were seriously in the tank for a few years in the early '00s, but, aside from four playoff-less seasons between 2002-2006, they've not only been pretty consistently excellent but also blessed with (arguably) the best player (and best sidekick, for that matter) in the NHL for a vast majority of the last ~30 years or so. 

Blackhawks, I get. Their dark spell was a lot longer than Pittsburgh's was, even if it didn't involve bankruptcy from corrupt owners and a very real risk of relocation; it involved crappy ownership alienating the fanbase, yes, but at least the Blackhawks, for rather obvious reasons, were never gonna leave Chicago. But the Penguins, I guess I don't feel the same way about them being good. Their low was pretty deep, but they've mostly been at highs for a very long time now.

spacer.png

If you remember the Chicago Magazine profile of Rocky Wirtz, there was a line about how by 2007, the team was losing so much and earning so little that WirtzCorp couldn't justify funding the team off Judge & Dolph anymore and was ready to hand the team over to the league. Mind you, this could be the sort of lying that the Organ-Eye-Zation does when it's time to hike ticket prices year after year, but if you start doing the napkin math on the circa-2007 Blackhawks, with their horrid attendance, lack of television inventory let alone viewers, and the league's scant national revenue, you can arrive at the conclusion that the only thing truly keeping the team from bottoming out was their 50% of the United Center and 20% of Comcast SportsNet. As a general rule, one shouldn't take Wirtzes at their word, but I'll believe them when they say Bill was a hairsbreadth from finally putting the family out of business.

In the spring of 2004, I went to Chicago on a field trip and bought a Blackhawks pennant for..... ONE DOLLAR!

This was back in the days when the only way you could see Blackhawks home games was a rare ESPN telecast or you had NHL Center Ice and had to get the opposing TV feed.

I remember a time when the Blackhawks having a winning streak was a big deal.

It felt like a miracle when they somehow had a 40 win 90 point 2002 playoff season. That was like a comet!

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

In the spring of 2004, I went to Chicago on a field trip and bought a Blackhawks pennant for..... ONE DOLLAR!

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that you could have gotten a ticket for cheaper.

Archived