2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

For a team being the 7th best in the league, I get frustrated with this feast or famine approach the Sharks are pulling. They pretty handily beat the Caps a week ago and looked to be neck and neck for the best record in the conference.

And then Haley got centered on the fourth line. And now...you know...the rest...of the story.

Could they right the ship when Hansen gets back in the fold and Karlsson recovers? Sure. But with the Hawks playing well and Alberta being a tough out, I'm pretty damn sure they aren't defending Clarence. 

What a soft handjob that would be.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Leafs are 3 points up on the Islanders, 4 up on Tampa. 11 games left. Gotta say this has Toronto Maple Leafs CollapseTM written all over it. I'm nervous for you, Toronto fans. I hope it doesn't happen. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm pulling for the Islanders because of my Tavares man-crush, but I'm not averse to the Leafs getting in. I just don't want Tampa. Can't deal with the Yzerman blowjobs if he sold at the deadline and still got in.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

58 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Leafs are 3 points up on the Islanders, 4 up on Tampa. 11 games left. Gotta say this has Toronto Maple Leafs CollapseTM written all over it. I'm nervous for you, Toronto fans. I hope it doesn't happen. 

There's no collapse when there was zero expectation.  This is garbage time for me.

As for the Isles, they'd probably be better off missing the playoffs so they're not drunk with false hope for the near future.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm pulling for the Islanders because of my Tavares man-crush, but I'm not averse to the Leafs getting in. I just don't want Tampa. Can't deal with the Yzerman blowjobs if he sold at the deadline and still got in.

Lightning would get annihilated anyway, so there's not much to worry about there. Of their three possible 1st round opponents, that being the Caps, Pens, and Jackets, the Lightning played them nine times this season, and they lost eight of those games, with the other going to a shootout. If missing the playoffs helps speed up the fire Cooper wagon (which it won't, because injuries will be the excuse even though they played like :censored: anyway), then it's probably a worthwhile tradeoff at this point.

spacer.png

If the Leafs face the Caps, it'd be a great learning experience for the young guys.

If they face the Sens, I'd have to think they could at least give them a run for their money... all the pressure on Ottawa, not least having to not fall over once again to an underdog Leafs team in the playoffs.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

At this point, the Islanders and Lightning have a better shot of catching Boston than Toronto. Especially since the Bruins' next two games are vs. Tampa Bay and at Brooklyn.

Last night Roman Polak was give a 5 minute misconduct penalty for smearing Oliver Bjorkstrand's face against the glass. Polak left the ice and the Leafs forgot to put anyone in the box so after 5 minutes of lackluster power play from the Blue Jackets they weren't allowed to put anyone else on the ice and had to play shorthanded until there was a stoppage which didn't happen until almost two full minutes after the penalty expired. One of the crazier things I've seen in a hockey game. Unfortunately the Jackets couldn't score to make the mistake count. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Last night Roman Polak was give a 5 minute misconduct penalty for smearing Oliver Bjorkstrand's face against the glass. Polak left the ice and the Leafs forgot to put anyone in the box so after 5 minutes of lackluster power play from the Blue Jackets they weren't allowed to put anyone else on the ice and had to play shorthanded until there was a stoppage which didn't happen until almost two full minutes after the penalty expired. One of the crazier things I've seen in a hockey game. Unfortunately the Jackets couldn't score to make the mistake count. 

That's pretty messed up. I think it should be on the officials to get a player in the box in a timely manner, or give the team another penalty if they hold up the game too much.

The rule is that a team doesn't have to put someone in the box to serve an ejected player's major right away, they can put someone in after a stoppage to serve out the remainder of the penalty. I think I've seen it happen twice before, where a team makes a strategic decision to delay putting anyone in the box right away (so they won't have 2 guys unavailable for a full 5 minutes) but they don't get a chance to have someone serve the remainder of the penalty because there were no stoppages during the later half of the power play. It was a risky move by Toronto, but it certainly isn't on the refs.

Edit: it's rule 20.3 for those playing at home.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

This happened to Florida a few years ago, too, I think. Now that teams have gotten much smarter about employing all 18 skaters in a game, I wouldn't be shocked either to see the rule amended so that five-and-a-games don't require an extra body in the penalty box, or coaches get smarter about waiting till the last minute to put a man in the box (JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST, DENY YOUR MAKER) and making sure it's someone you can spring on a break. Fine by me, I don't really care if you go back to full strength from your own bench.

McDavid had an absolutely crazy game for the Oilers last night but lost the game 4-3 because that's Big Beige for you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, cmm said:

The rule is that a team doesn't have to put someone in the box to serve an ejected player's major right away, they can put someone in after a stoppage to serve out the remainder of the penalty. I think I've seen it happen twice before, where a team makes a strategic decision to delay putting anyone in the box right away (so they won't have 2 guys unavailable for a full 5 minutes) but they don't get a chance to have someone serve the remainder of the penalty because there were no stoppages during the later half of the power play. It was a risky move by Toronto, but it certainly isn't on the refs.

Edit: it's rule 20.3 for those playing at home.

I got the sense from Babcock's body language that he completely forgot about putting a player there. Lipreading he said "that's my f****** fault". I don't think it was intentional. I could be wrong though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I got the sense from Babcock's body language that he completely forgot about putting a player there. Lipreading he said "that's my f****** fault". I don't think it was intentional. I could be wrong though. 

Ah....that makes it even better.

45 minutes ago, The Six said:

Randypuck

buddy, they won't even let me

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

McDavid had an absolutely crazy game for the Oilers last night but lost the game 4-3 because that's Big Beige for you.

(Big Beige?)

With his beautiful goal and the Oilers outshooting the Ducks 15-3 at one point, I thought it was going to be a long night. Ducks then got some timely goals and turned it on to outshoot Edmonton 31-17 the rest of the game. Ducks even gave Edmonton like a minute and a half of 6-on-3 at the end of the game, but the Oilers didn't do a damn thing with it until their 3rd goal on a crazy McDavid pass with 8 seconds left (which was probably offsides anyway, but whatever. 8 seconds left).

I don't know about "Randypuck" but things are really clicking all of a sudden. Rakell is having a monster year, Getzlaf is looking like Getzlaf again, defense has been solid all year, Bernier's been hot. Only 2 points behind San Jose for first now, too. If they can play like this in a month... I don't know, but things are working right now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Marc Methot's finger got hacked off last night.  That was nasty to see.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived