2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

21 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Scoring one goal in two games vs Dallas will mean bad things for you.

Well now Minnesota have someone else to sympathize with... The Wild were down 4-zip until a few minutes to go against the Canucks... And the Hawks got curbstomped by the Panthers tonight...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everybody thinks their team is worse than they actually are because you see everything they do good and bad, but unless you're watching every single game you only see the highlights from the other teams. 

It feels like Tampa is gonna pull this off. Boston is 5-5 in their last 10 and jumped by Toronto who has a game in hand. Carolina looks like they're back in it, but they have 33 wins and they've had to go 7-0-4 in their last 11 to get there. 43 wins is usually the cut line, but 42 could get it done this year, which means they'll need to most likely win their last 8 games just to get to 41 and get help from Boston, Tampa, NYI and that would mean an absurd 15-0-4 run to end the season by a team who just lost one of their goalies and their other guy is Cam Ward. I don't see it happening. 

I will laugh for days if Boston misses the playoffs. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The way @Kramerica Industries talked up the Lightning a couple weeks ago, I assumed they were deader than dead.  They're one point back with a game in hand.  And Carolina is like 4-5 points back.  I thought these teams were hugging the bowl.

On 2/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

Several other things have gone horribly wrong this season to have put the Lightning in a situation where not only are they unlikely to make the playoffs but that they are selling off pieces at the trade deadline. What a horrific season.

The Lightning's playoff odds at one point were something like 3.3% if I remember. They were in last place in the entire conference in early February. At the time of that post, they were 28-25-8, and probably about six points out from the second wild card spot but there were still a few more teams legitimately in the mix at the time, too; Florida and Philly went in the tank in March. For their part, the Lightning have picked up 19 of a possible 28 points, a 111 point pace over a full season, since that post; they were on an 86 point pace prior to that. 

And while the injury excuse was rather weak because they were playing poorly before the injury bug bit them, if you would've said that Stamkos would still have not played a game since November 15, and Tyler Johnson would now have missed nine straight games in March (and there's no timetable for his return), plus the trades at the deadline...I mean, the only Lightning center in the lineup now who was there at the beginning of the season is Vlad Namestnikov, and that dude is nothing special to write home about whatsoever. Everyone else is injured or traded. 

I mean, I'm enjoying this bounceback, sure. But if I made it sound like they were dead-in-the-water, it's because, well, they kinda/sorta were. Like I said, they've won 19 of their last 28 possible points and, stretched back further, 33 of their last possible 46 (a 117-point pace). In a sense, ignoring the injuries for a minute, obviously some of this was expected all along from the team; there's a reason why them being in last place in February was shocking, and that reason being because the underachieving was grotesque and it was the second straight season where they completely sandbagged the first half of the season and needed to scramble in the second half just to make the playoffs (which is no guarantee this year anyway; their chances are still <50% at this moment), but given the injuries, the trades, and the hole the team was in, I'm not exactly sure my criticism of the team and the head coach, which has been fully rationalized and well-detailed over a couple of years now (tl;dr - I've been a critic of Jon Cooper before that became popular, but credit is due for fighting back with a lineup full of AHL'ers), was particularly objectionable.* There were, and still are, some very real concerns and problems that hold the team back from acheving their full potential.

Not to be lost in all of this - Nikita Kucherov has 17 goals and 31 points in the last 17 games. He's now scored 80 points in 68 games played this season. I'm not saying he will, or deserves to, win the Hart this year, but if the Lightning somehow make it in, he deserves to be a top-3 finisher, at WORST. Last night he got some help, but an awfully large part of the Lightning's run has been Kucherov being out of his damn mind in the last month and a half. 

*Christ that was a run-on sentence

spacer.png

Selanne: Ducks want Kariya back in fold, but he’s ‘very bitter about hockey’

“It was kind of a shame how his career ended. He’s very bitter about that. He always thought that the NHL was not looking after the players the way they should. So that’s why he doesn’t want to be involved with hockey at all, and he almost kind of like disappeared from the hockey world, which is very sad.

“What he has done for hockey, and especially here in Anaheim and California, it’s unbelievable. He was an unbelievable hockey player, and I had a great time with him. It hurts me that he doesn’t want to be part of hockey, because I think he has a lot to offer and give. Hopefully one day he will come back, for some reason. I know the Ducks have really tried hard to get him back and into the program.

“But he’s very bitter about hockey, which is very sad.”

PHT reached out to the Ducks for comment on Selanne’s remarks. They replied that Kariya is always welcome in Anaheim, and he’s aware of that.

IbjBaeE.png

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I think everybody thinks their team is worse than they actually are because you see everything they do good and bad, but unless you're watching every single game you only see the highlights from the other teams. 

Nooooooooooo!  Not around here!

4 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Whenever I think about how poorly the Islanders have been doing recently, I rewatch this game.

It reminds me how one of the worst teams to wear the Isles' logo beat the Pens 9-3. It also reminds me about how bad the Penguins announcers are.

And what a hypocrite Mario Lemieux is.

The NHL, unlike the NFL, is where opening night doesn't always indicate how the season will go.

Columbus blew a 2-0 lead against Boston in their first game of the season, lose 6-3.

Look where they are now.

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

For me, Kariya is still the face of the Ducks.  I know franchise infancy bias, I can't help it.  I think his 1998 concussion, missing the Nagano Olympics, perhaps never quite fully came around.  Come to think of it, it feels like that event was the first I knew an A list athlete concussed to miss such extended time.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It's over! The Red Wings miss the playoffs!

Aobbv.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sigh, well, guess we have to deal with stupid goddamn Anaheim being a Cup contender again, huh. I just hope Ducks fans don't have another meltdown when people suggest a team from a smallish Canadian city could give them a fight.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived