2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps Dean Lombardi will ponder a change to the "get a bunch of slow big guys to pummel the opponent into submission" tactic on the golf course.

VmWIn6B.png

13 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Except, the Wild ARE a good team, they have very skilled players and a great coaching staff.

The great coaching staff ground the goalie into dust and had to pull Alex Stalock back out of someone's ass so he could lose games instead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The great coaching staff ground the goalie into dust and had to pull Alex Stalock back out of someone's ass so he could lose games instead.

Well I mean when Darcy Kuemper is your backup, you're gonna want to play Dubnyk as much as possible... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

And let's hear it for the L.A. Kings, who followed up two championships in three years with two misses in three years. Dynasty in the making, cali hockey takin over

17 hours ago, Morgo said:

It'll be the Blackhawks over the Penguins in 6 because

If I've ever wanted art to imitate life, it would be Sudden Death with Jean Claude Van Damme, should this come to fruition.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

20 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

12 game win streak? Dubnyk leading the NHL in almost all goalie categories before March? Maybe if I said this after they had a good 10 games during the season, but after 65 games, I think I can safely say that this team is a good team, but something mentally isn't clicking right now... 

I mean, you'd figure that I would know after watching every game this year, but I guess you're the Minnesota Wild expert Admiral...

Mebbe an Angel of the Lord will reveal himself to the Wild and announce that they are God's holy hockey warriors and they will be moved to play Stanley Cup-winning hockey.

Of course, said Angel might also get punched in the side of the head by a rampaging Blues player since it is the postseason, so who knows.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Mebbe an Angel of the Lord will reveal himself to the Wild and announce that they are God's holy hockey warriors and they will be moved to play Stanley Cup-winning hockey.

Of course, said Angel might also get punched in the side of the head by a rampaging Blues player since it is the postseason, so who knows.

What exactly is this supposed to mean???

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

What exactly is this supposed to mean???

I'm expressing skepticism at the bad luck excuse and looking at the current playoff matchups.

Actually though Yeo coaching the Blues in the playoffs is liable to open Door #3: A hole is ripped in space time as the combination of these two chronic playoff losers actually manage to lose a 7 game series in 3 games.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

If I've ever wanted art to imitate life, it would be Sudden Death with Jean Claude Van Damme, should this come to fruition.

First it was video of Tank losing his :censored:, then a Sudden Death reference, everything's here. 

16 hours ago, 2001mark said:

NHL announce they will not be at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

While I'm cool with college players and amateurs playing in the Olympics, it'll be interesting to see what happens when NHL players miss three weeks of the season to go play.  Or if they can go....Ovechkin has said he's playing no matter what, and I'm sure others will want to go also.  Will teams or the league punish the players that go, to the tune of fines or reimbursement for each game they miss?  Will the league establish a financial penalty before the season (or take away draft picks) on teams with owners that are willing to let their players play in the Olympics with no punishment?

Not to mention, this should go over well in the next round of labor negotiations.

Well, technically, they're failing to report to their teams, so teams would have the option of suspension without pay and daily cap hit or disqualification (which they wouldn't do). It could end up being the Blackhawks' newest way of tiptoeing around the salary cap if Artemi Panarin deserts the team for three weeks and has his cap hit disappear during such time, though I'd hardly call it advantageous not to have him around.

Custance suggested that foreign players with expiring contracts could choose to play in European leagues next year so they can go to the Olympics. These players would have to be bad, eminently stupid, or both.

There is talk of the IIHF or IOC not allowing anyone with an NHL contract to participate, even if the NHL teams are fine with players leaving.

Personally, this isn't such a big deal to me. I'd like to see the NHL players in the Olympics, but it's not like NHLers at the Olympics is a long standing tradition and I do see why the NHL isn't sending the players.

But man, people are acting like this is an affront to all that is good and holy in the world. The NHL (and any other pro league) doesn't care about "growing the game" when they don't get the benefits from it.

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived