SabresRule7361

2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

1,219 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, 2001mark said:

NHL announce they will not be at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

While I'm cool with college players and amateurs playing in the Olympics, it'll be interesting to see what happens when NHL players miss three weeks of the season to go play.  Or if they can go....Ovechkin has said he's playing no matter what, and I'm sure others will want to go also.  Will teams or the league punish the players that go, to the tune of fines or reimbursement for each game they miss?  Will the league establish a financial penalty before the season (or take away draft picks) on teams with owners that are willing to let their players play in the Olympics with no punishment?

Not to mention, this should go over well in the next round of labor negotiations.

Well, technically, they're failing to report to their teams, so teams would have the option of suspension without pay and daily cap hit or disqualification (which they wouldn't do). It could end up being the Blackhawks' newest way of tiptoeing around the salary cap if Artemi Panarin deserts the team for three weeks and has his cap hit disappear during such time, though I'd hardly call it advantageous not to have him around.

Custance suggested that foreign players with expiring contracts could choose to play in European leagues next year so they can go to the Olympics. These players would have to be bad, eminently stupid, or both.

There is talk of the IIHF or IOC not allowing anyone with an NHL contract to participate, even if the NHL teams are fine with players leaving.

Personally, this isn't such a big deal to me. I'd like to see the NHL players in the Olympics, but it's not like NHLers at the Olympics is a long standing tradition and I do see why the NHL isn't sending the players.

But man, people are acting like this is an affront to all that is good and holy in the world. The NHL (and any other pro league) doesn't care about "growing the game" when they don't get the benefits from it.

The players want to go because the players want to play, not because they want to grow the game.  I get it, that's fine, yet it's not strong enough that the McDavids & Matthews have a finite window for these types of events.

Btw, USA Hockey can't love that its Matthews, Gaudreaus, Eichels, & Kanes aren't available for call up now.

On the owner's side, complaining that the IOC doesn't give the NHL enough is a bit rich.  A global tv audience potential north of a billion ppl, not a dime spent on infrastructure, etc.  Walking away from that platform when the Winter games are so lean as it is, pro hockey has been a marquee event, is also strange.

Much of this is probably moot considering the Chinese will surely throw some coin at the NHL so they play in Beijing 2022.

Ppl have been mentioning the NBA gets a rawer deal from the IOC, but if you think A list NBA players would go for gold in February, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

Personally, it's a wash.  The World Cup could be more meaningful again.  As for players going, not happening.  If Ovechkin gets on a plane, why couldn't Backstrom?  Toews & Kane??  Forget it, the owners would disallow it 100% under contract.

I'm not pro IOC either, possibly the most corrupt bunch walking the Earth.

Ovie has doubled down, saying he's still going.  

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

But man, people are acting like this is an affront to all that is good and holy in the world. The NHL (and any other pro league) doesn't care about "growing the game" when they don't get the benefits from it.

Yeah, they're being ridiculous. And let me guess, most of them are Canadians who have been whipped into a froth over international hockey because TSN needed eyeballs on the World Juniors and Actual Canada hasn't won a Cup since 1990. Olympic hockey sucks and the IOC is one of the few sporting bodies greedier, stupider, and more corrupt than the NHL.

6 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Much of this is probably moot considering the Chinese will surely throw some coin at the NHL so they play in Beijing 2022.

This is apparently a packaged deal though.  The IOC is expected to ban the NHL from participation in China now as well. 

6 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Ovie has doubled down, saying he's still going.  

Of course he's going to say that, and of course Ted is going to say "go right ahead". I'll be stunned if someone higher up doesn't say "no you're not".

3 hours ago, RedRenesis said:

This is apparently a packaged deal though.  The IOC is expected to ban the NHL from participation in China now as well. 

I have feeling the Chinese will pay either the IOC &/or the NHL for pros to play.

Giordano may have just killed the Ducks' chances in the postseason.

Ducks have now beaten Calgary in Anaheim 25 consecutive times in the regular season, a streak that started exactly 13 years ago today.

And yeah, Mark Giordano kablamed Cam Fowler's knee.

:censored: Calgary

Jackets backing into the playoffs, lost 4 in a row now (hadn't lost 3 in a row all season). Not a good feeling at the moment, but hoping that they have this convert back to success when next week rolls around.

That's horrible news. Loved that guy when he played here.

Caps take another Presidents Trophy with a 2-0 win over the Rangers. My man Kuznetsov scored an absolute beauty by Lundqvist. 

Time to get over the hump (lol let's be real it ain't gonna happen)

KHL inviting NHL Russians to play towards the Olympic team.  That's not really new but it's news again.

There's quite a few good KHL guys that play on the Russia National Team. Evgeny Dadonov, for one. 

Well, the Tampa Bay Lightning are gonna try and Rasputin things up.

They ain't dead yet despite all the injuries and idiocticallly trading Ben Bishop.

The Jets are really tearin' it up now that the games don't count!