2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

The players want to go because the players want to play, not because they want to grow the game.  I get it, that's fine, yet it's not strong enough that the McDavids & Matthews have a finite window for these types of events.

Btw, USA Hockey can't love that its Matthews, Gaudreaus, Eichels, & Kanes aren't available for call up now.

On the owner's side, complaining that the IOC doesn't give the NHL enough is a bit rich.  A global tv audience potential north of a billion ppl, not a dime spent on infrastructure, etc.  Walking away from that platform when the Winter games are so lean as it is, pro hockey has been a marquee event, is also strange.

Much of this is probably moot considering the Chinese will surely throw some coin at the NHL so they play in Beijing 2022.

Ppl have been mentioning the NBA gets a rawer deal from the IOC, but if you think A list NBA players would go for gold in February, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

Personally, it's a wash.  The World Cup could be more meaningful again.  As for players going, not happening.  If Ovechkin gets on a plane, why couldn't Backstrom?  Toews & Kane??  Forget it, the owners would disallow it 100% under contract.

I'm not pro IOC either, possibly the most corrupt bunch walking the Earth.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

But man, people are acting like this is an affront to all that is good and holy in the world. The NHL (and any other pro league) doesn't care about "growing the game" when they don't get the benefits from it.

Yeah, they're being ridiculous. And let me guess, most of them are Canadians who have been whipped into a froth over international hockey because TSN needed eyeballs on the World Juniors and Actual Canada hasn't won a Cup since 1990. Olympic hockey sucks and the IOC is one of the few sporting bodies greedier, stupider, and more corrupt than the NHL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Much of this is probably moot considering the Chinese will surely throw some coin at the NHL so they play in Beijing 2022.

This is apparently a packaged deal though.  The IOC is expected to ban the NHL from participation in China now as well. 

3 hours ago, RedRenesis said:

This is apparently a packaged deal though.  The IOC is expected to ban the NHL from participation in China now as well. 

I have feeling the Chinese will pay either the IOC &/or the NHL for pros to play.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Ducks have now beaten Calgary in Anaheim 25 consecutive times in the regular season, a streak that started exactly 13 years ago today.

And yeah, Mark Giordano kablamed Cam Fowler's knee.

:censored: Calgary

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Jackets backing into the playoffs, lost 4 in a row now (hadn't lost 3 in a row all season). Not a good feeling at the moment, but hoping that they have this convert back to success when next week rolls around.

Caps take another Presidents Trophy with a 2-0 win over the Rangers. My man Kuznetsov scored an absolute beauty by Lundqvist. 

Time to get over the hump (lol let's be real it ain't gonna happen)

spacer.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I had fun seats at the game last night. 

I'd be lying if I said this losing streak wasn't troubling. 

Don't worry.  The Wild do it every year and...

...never mind.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

CBJlive.thumb.jpg.81bb0177a8b292797f096c1a131401fc.jpg

I had fun seats at the game last night. 

I'd be lying if I said this losing streak wasn't troubling. 

Just beat the Penguins for, you know, all of us and we'll call it even.

spacer.png

Archived