2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite.

Edmonton can still win their division if they win their home-and-home series this weekend vs. Vancouver and Anaheim loses to LA on Sunday.

Speaking of which, Flames fans, as backwards as this sounds, should actually root for Edmonton to win the division. Because the Battle of Alberta is a lot more promising than having to go to their house of horrors that is the Arrowhead Pond.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Leafs make the playoffs. Go beat Washington. It would be funny.

they probably will too that's the thing

spacer.png

16 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Field is set, I believe.

Toronto at Washington

Columbus at Pittsburgh

NY Rangers at Montreal

Boston at Ottawa

If Toronto can nick a point from Columbus then they flip first round opponents with Boston.  

Isles end up missing the playoffs by ONE FREAKING POINT. You can't win the Stanley Cup in October but you sure can lose it. Rehire Jack Capuano just to fire him a second time, then let Honky have his way with him.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Isles end up missing the playoffs by ONE FREAKING POINT. You can't win the Stanley Cup in October but you sure can lose it. Rehire Jack Capuano just to fire him a second time, then let Honky have his way with him.

Flood him out of Garth's basement then run him over with Honky.  Isn't the first time Crapuano killed the playoff chances in November but thankfully he won't be able to do it again.

Sucks to miss the playoffs, but from where the Lightning were after 52 games this season (19 wins, 27 losses, 6 games ended in shootouts), if you had told me the Lightning would finish the season with a winning record, I would've been very pleasantly surprised.

19-10-1 over the last 30 games. 38-37-7 record. 

Gonna be left to rue the fact that they only picked up 2 out of 12 points against the NHL's three worst teams this off-season. For today, I'll be happy about this.

----

EDIT - lemme try that again.

The Lightning missed the playoffs by one point. They played the Avalanche, Canucks, and Coyotes six times this season. They beat them, combined, one time. The last one of those teams they faced, Arizona, was three weeks ago, and they blew a 3-2 3rd period lead, at home, while Arizona was on the second end of a back-to-back.

It wasn't the teams above them, or the teams on par with them, that did the Lightning in this regular season. It was the fricken' bottom-feeders. That's actually pretty painful.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

Ruff is out in Dallas, first coaching domino to fall.

I don't get Dallas sometimes. One year they resemble world beaters. Then others they look mediocre to bad. 

I don't follow Dallas maybe ColeJ can explain what's going on with them. 

Of course my Islanders aren't that much better. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived