2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ducks win their fifth consecutive division title. Only the 7th team to do that.

And as Ducks fans know, nothing bad comes from winning division titles... nothing.... nothing bad at all....

(If you sorry sacks of :censored: blow another 3-2 series lead just... just... fold or don't or make me spend more money next year or whatever...)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

11 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Sucks to miss the playoffs, but from where the Lightning were after 52 games this season (19 wins, 27 losses, 6 games ended in shootouts), if you had told me the Lightning would finish the season with a winning record, I would've been very pleasantly surprised.

19-10-1 over the last 30 games. 38-37-7 record. 

Gonna be left to rue the fact that they only picked up 2 out of 12 points against the NHL's three worst teams this off-season. For today, I'll be happy about this.

----

EDIT - lemme try that again.

The Lightning missed the playoffs by one point. They played the Avalanche, Canucks, and Coyotes six times this season. They beat them, combined, one time. The last one of those teams they faced, Arizona, was three weeks ago, and they blew a 3-2 3rd period lead, at home, while Arizona was on the second end of a back-to-back.

It wasn't the teams above them, or the teams on par with them, that did the Lightning in this regular season. It was the fricken' bottom-feeders. That's actually pretty painful.

Exactly. We had a ton of injuries and sold a couple of good players at the deadline but that doesn't mean it's justified losing to teams of that caliber. The Lightning could've easily been in the playoffs, and probably should've been.

If nothing else, the strong finish restores confidence that after Stamkos comes back we return to being a top team in the East.

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Isles end up missing the playoffs by ONE FREAKING POINT. You can't win the Stanley Cup in October but you sure can lose it. Rehire Jack Capuano just to fire him a second time, then let Honky have his way with him.

Seriously. If the Isles fired Cappy 6 weeks earlier than they did, which they should've done, they're in.

Oh well, at least the end of the season run looks promising, especially Ho-Sang

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Congratulations to Notorious CMD for hitting the century mark and saving us from the ignominy of a sub-100 scoring title, as last seen when Jamie Benn tied his IQ with 87.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

So, this just happened:

Luc Robitaille to Team President, Rob Blake to VP/GM, Sutter/Lombardi to pick up lovely parting gifts.

Hey, it worked for the Avs...

Is Roman Cechmanek available to coach?

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Congratulations to Notorious CMD for hitting the century mark and saving us from the ignominy of a sub-100 scoring title, as last seen when Jamie Benn tied his IQ with 87.

That season seriously almost killed my interest in hockey. Like, when even the scoring champions in the doldrums of the early-2000's still managed more points than you did... 

Random trivia: only 2 Art Ross winners of the modern era have never had a 100-point season, in their Ross winning season or otherwise: Jamie Benn and Jarome Iginla.

re. Olympics... might the NHL & PA just say f it & join the Summer Olympics?  2 weeks of play in the summer wouldn't be all that bad would it?  Who cares if the weather outside is balmy, it's a f'n indoor rink n'est pas?  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Oh, why the hell not. The NHL has no greater passion than retaining teams in Phoenix and Miami, might as well let everyone come in from the heat in Dubai or whichever oil-sheikhs-renting-instagram-thots-as-human-toilets place the Olympics will end up going to down the road. It'd be the ultimate in GORWING TEH GAME.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

re. Olympics... might the NHL & PA just say f it & join the Summer Olympics?  2 weeks of play in the summer wouldn't be all that bad would it?  Who cares if the weather outside is balmy, it's a f'n indoor rink n'est pas?  

It makes sense in some ways, but I don't think the Summer Olympics needs a venue like that right now (even more expensive to host), and the Summer Olympics don't need the "help" from the IOC's point of view.

edit: I forgot about the basketball arena, but we all know a good basketball arena is not necessarily a good hockey arena.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It makes sense in some ways, but I don't think the Summer Olympics needs a venue like that right now (even more expensive to host), and the Summer Olympics don't need the "help" from the IOC's point of view.

Yeah.  I think the only way (pro) hockey might be interesting to the IOC is if the hockey powers needed something to be good at for medals & tv ratings. 

As it is, the US, Russia, & for the most part, Sweden, Canada, Czech Republic, & Finland don't really struggle for either at the Summer games.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived