2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe in Minnesota. Seems like they'll come back to reality when the Predators and Stars get their crap figured out.

Oilers finally lost again, it took Craig Anderson getting a shutout on the heels of finding out his wife has cancer to do it. The Hall-Larsson trade...may...have been...win-win?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Oilers have been good! I might believe in this team this year... although that might mean I'm not fully broken by this team yet.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

Yeah but like cosmic said boudreau has numerous division titles maybe he can do the same last I checked the wild were 1st place in the division

Yeah, they sometimes start strong but history tells us to await a six-week period of futility that puts them on the playoff bubble.   If that  happens I hope they miss so they can try to tear it down and start over.  This is not working and if this great regular season coach cannot have them do better than scrambling into the 8 seed it is officially a failure.  Just getting in the playoffs does seem to satisfy the fan base though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There's so much overreacting that happens early in the hockey season. It's easy to forget just how long this stupid regular season is. Montreal and Pittsburgh from last year are perfect examples. Edmonton looks good, but will have a struggle period. I think they'll make the playoffs because their division is wide open right now. 

There was one year when the Blue Jackets were leading the Western Conference at the end of November (I want to say 2010) and had like a 90% chance of making the playoffs according to sportsclubstats. They missed the playoffs. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Speaking of Montreal they sure are doing very good right now even after trading away the leagues best defenseman I figured they would have sunk

Yeah but it's not like they replaced him with a chump. They've also gotten lucky with Radulov, who seems to want to play hockey finally.

....and let's not forget that they have the best goalie in recent history back in net.

1zqy8ok.gif

On 10/31/2016 at 11:17 AM, Rj0498 said:

Speaking of Montreal they sure are doing very good right now even after trading away the leagues best defenseman I figured they would have sunk

I don't think anyone expected Weber to have a career year, as a response to the pressure of filling in for Subban and facing a distraught montreal fanbase. Marc Bergevin and Geoff Molson are incredibly fortunate for his amazing start because both their reputations were down to toilet, until this happened...

PKSubbanTracker_zps5q8h9jhx.png

14639753_1141728115919457_30459461890322

I love when the LA Kings are in crisis.

Down goalies and shut out three straight games for the first time since 1969, including a 4-0 win by the Anaheim Ducks in LA tonight.

Good.

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Randypuck is out in full force tonight. Carlyle could be turning these Ducks around faster than expected. 

Or maybe the Kings are just awful. We'll see.

I'd say a little of both.

I'll give Randy credit that this isn't the same thing as before. He does seem to have learned a bit. (Although, I don't exactly know what the purpose of a Jared Boll is, but whatever.) And the Kings are in some sort of mess right now. Goaltending isn't bailing them out right now and the struggle to score goals has been a constant in LA.

Whatever it is, bottle it and take it into tomorrow. Some consistency. Blow out the Preds, blown out by Columbus, blow out the Kings, ________ the Penguins.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Pleased by the Jackets start this season, and it's not very often they're above .500 at this point in the season already. Maybe a team that could sneak in the playoffs if they keep playing the way they are. It' still way early in the season, but I like what I see out of the CBJ so far.

The Weber/Subban situation is playing out about how I expected on the Montreal side, where Shea Weber gets the credit for Carey Price coming back and dominating. That said, I was not expecting Weber to put up the numbers he has to this point. It's heartening to see a player go to a high-pressure Canadian market and thrive instead of pouting like a bitch the way most guys do. Still waiting to see what the Jets get back in that Trouba trade, by the way.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Subban is playing well, but all the cooing over him (because NOBODY wants to get caught on hockey twitter being The Guy Who Doesn't Love PK Subban) has obscured that Pekka Rinne's joints are rotting from the inside out and Nashville's forwards suck ass past Filip Forsberg and Ryan Johansen. Granted, they've also played most of their games on the road, so that doesn't help (same with Carolina, another new internet-darling team that's dragging even more ass than the Perds are), but the fact that the developmental pipeline hasn't caught up with Purple Pete's coaching and still turns out forgettable plugs may hurt them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Pleased by the Jackets start this season, and it's not very often they're above .500 at this point in the season already. Maybe a team that could sneak in the playoffs if they keep playing the way they are. It' still way early in the season, but I like what I see out of the CBJ so far.

Through 8 games last year: 0-8. Through 8 games this year: 4-3-1. They're not winning the cup, but this is way more fun and watchable. Goalie Bob has been phenomenal. He has to keep it up long enough until the rest of the team can figure out how to not get outshot every single game and if that happens they'll be in the thick of it. That and no major injuries. Everyone's healthy right now. 

Outside of Bob my other MVPs are the idea of Sam Gagner and the PMDs. Gagner isn't leading the league in points or anything, but he was a depth acquisition who's made it possible to roll all 4 lines and not worry about any of them. Compare him to the anchor that was Gregory Campbell playing with Jared Boll last year and he's worth every penny, plus the goal last night with the empty net was clutch. We should be paying him twice as much. Also, last night there was a pass out of the zone by Ryan Murray from one of the defensive corners and he hit Atkinson (I think) in stride at the far blue line and they had a really good chance coming off that zone entry. Murray is arguably the third best puck moving defenseman on the roster. I've wanted this team to play that quick release style of play for forever and now they finally have the back end guys to make it happen. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sam Gagner is still around? Man, I remember when he and Andrew Cogliano were the saviours of the Oilers, before Hall and Nuge. Good times. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

23 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I love when the LA Kings are in crisis.

Didn't they win a Cup from the 8th seed?

Didn't the Ducks come back from the dead last winter from a similar zombie zone?

I like when the Sharks, Kings, & Ducks can't eat at the same dinner table without throwing bread & forks around at each other.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived