infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 5

infrared41

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe some of the things I'm reading on here. "Modern" is definitely not the word I would use to describe the current Bills. They could clean up the striping some but it's still one of the best looks in the league. 

I also don't understand the love for the 2000's XFL set. It's so bad that I think some people are starting to sympathize too much with it.

bills-blue-blue-bledsoe.jpg

1719988.jpg

Midway.png

11 hours ago, Midway said:

I can't believe some of the things I'm reading on here. "Modern" is definitely not the word I would use to describe the current Bills. They could clean up the striping some but it's still one of the best looks in the league. 

I also don't understand the love for the 2000's XFL set. It's so bad that I think some people are starting to sympathize too much with it.

bills-blue-blue-bledsoe.jpg

1719988.jpg

Wait there are people who like these?! these look like rags that not even a college team would sniff at

On 10/16/2016 at 1:10 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

For the record, I'd call the widening stripe, upper back and hip logos, and gray mask on an otherwise modern(ish) uniform gimmicks, too.

so in this group of elements we have 1 thing that is unique to the Bills (ill say the helmet stripe is unique because it is their own stripe) and others that can be classified as trends (at best, if you ask me).

so the question i have then is everything that is unique to a team a gimmick? and if so is that even a bad thing? because a gimmick, or "device intended to attract attention" MIGHT BE something most teams should have.

and if we classify trends as gimmicks as well, does that include all trends? at one time the Braisher stripe (Packers, Saints, 49ers, Cowboys, Browns) was a trend but today has lived on to become one of the traditional elements of football design. do gimmicks become traditional visual language after X amount of time?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Those old Buffalo uniforms are so bad and they were used for so long. As loud and aggrieved as that fanbase is, how did it take as many years as it took to talk them out of using them?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Those old Buffalo uniforms are so bad and they were used for so long. As loud and aggrieved as that fanbase is, how did it take as many years as it took to talk them out of using them?

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking a combination of 90 year-old owner listening to what other people are telling him is hip, clinging to navy for merchandise reasons, and probably the thought that they were maxed out sales-wise in a small market with an unremarkable team.

22 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

so in this group of elements we have 1 thing that is unique to the Bills (ill say the helmet stripe is unique because it is their own stripe) and others that can be classified as trends (at best, if you ask me).

so the question i have then is everything that is unique to a team a gimmick? and if so is that even a bad thing? because a gimmick, or "device intended to attract attention" MIGHT BE something most teams should have.

and if we classify trends as gimmicks as well, does that include all trends? at one time the Braisher stripe (Packers, Saints, 49ers, Cowboys, Browns) was a trend but today has lived on to become one of the traditional elements of football design. do gimmicks become traditional visual language after X amount of time?

No, I get that... it's all semantics.  If you dislike it, it's a "gimmick" and if you feel it works, it's a "unique design element".  And maybe a trend is just a gimmick with legs. To me, that helmet stripe is just a bit too clever for it's own good, especially on an otherwise classic helmet design. (With a gray mask, yet! Modern stripe design OR gray mask... not both!)  And the hip logo and upper back logos are always useless clutter IMO... I've never seen an instance where I thought either improved a uniform.  Again, just my personal taste, obviously.

Tell you what... maybe we should be able to use the word gimmick without it having a negative connotation.  I think the upper chest stripe on Northwestern's current football jersey is most definitely a gimmick... but I actually really like it.

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Tell you what... maybe we should be able to use the word gimmick without it having a negative connotation. 

i think so. how often do we read on this site a complaint of too many teams looking the same? so when we come across a team doing something to separate themselves, i think that should at least be considered/discussed as being a good thing rather than calling "gimmick!" right away. of course there are instances like the Jags helmet where it's pretty clear what they're doing and how poorly its executed, but the Bills helmet stripe? i think that was a interesting tweak on a traditional stripe element. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived