CPL - Canadian Premier League (Calgary Harts SC - 5/8)

TheHydroPole

Here is my latest project, the rumoured Canadian Premier League. There have been rumbles of a  possible 8 team league being started by some owners of the CFL and NHL looking to put in a new Canadian league in order to grow local talent. The rumoured teams have been named as Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton, Greater Toronto Area, Quebec City, and a Maritimes team (I went with Halifax). I originally started this for the sole purpose of bulking up my portfolio with more soccer logos and jerseys, but I ended up finishing the entire logo aspect of it and am quite proud of what I have come up with. I purposely made the logos on here small to tease you guys. I am just putting the finishing touches on the jerseys and should post them one by one as the week goes on. Please note that the names and locations have not been confirmed. The names I came up with by myself. Logos are purposely tiny, just to tease you guys.

Introduction.png

Hamilton Club

Edmonton FC

Quebec City

Victoria Wanderers SC

Calgary Harts SC

Toronto City Falcons

Ottawa Fury FC

Halifax SC

First team due up: Hamilton Club (I'd like to get comments on the CPL logo before I post the first team, thanks)

Hamilton Club

Went for an old time "football club" look and name, all while staying within Hamilton's black and yellow sports team theme (Tiger-Cats, Tigers, Bulldogs). For sponsors, I used companies that are headquartered in each city. For Hamilton, I chose John Deere Canada. 

HC0.png

HC1.png

HC2.png

Next team due up: Edmonton FC (I'd like to get comments and critiques on the Hamilton Club designs before I post the next team, thanks)

Edmonton FC

Inspired by the great horned owl, the officical bird of Alberta, this Edmonton FC redesign is an upgrade from their current design. The team makes the move from the NASL to the the CPL along with Ottawa Fury FC. Suncor is the sponsor for Edmonton. Simple, yet effective design on both the logo and the jersey. Quite possibly inspired by the Hotspur logo.

Nickname: The Owls

EFC0.png

EFC1.png

EFC2.png

Next team due up: Quebec City (I'd like to get comments and critiques on the Edmonton FC designs before I post the next team, thanks)

Just now, alexandre said:

I love Edmonton, very clearly influenced by the gorgeous Minnesota United aesthetic (my fave in NA soccer). 

Will all the teams be Nike?

Absolutely inspired and influenced by Minnesota United and Tottenham. 

Yes, I will only use the one template just to make things fast and efficient. Can you guess what company will sponsor Quebec City? Hint: clothing.

Quebec City

Inspired by the Chateau Frontenac and the Plaines D'Abraham, the crest rocks the iconic hotel and the colour green. A familiar fleur de lys keeps this non-blue Quebec City logo very Quebec. The clothing store Simons is the sponsor as it started in Quebec City and is now all across Canada. 

Nickname: Les Verts

QC0.png

QC1.png

QC2.png

Next team due up: Victoria Wanderers Soccer Club (I'd like to get comments and critiques on the Quebec City designs before I post the next team, thanks)

21 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Love these so far. I'd love to see the CPL steal back the Canadian MLS teams (plus then you'll get to make some replacement MLS concepts).

I'd rather have the CPL be what the CFL is to the NFL, with the current Canadian teams staying in the MLS. I just can't see attendance beating the MLS. I think it would be more of a development league for Canadian talent. 

Thanks for the kind words :)

These are all really really good, I would say that my favorite so far is the Edmonton one, but I have stock in Suncor so I may be a bit biased :)

Good work so far man

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

These are looking great so far. I'm excited to see the Halifax club.

I do have some CC though. For the Edmonton team, it seems they are intended to be the continuation of the current NASL team switching to the CPL?

If that was the case, I think a more realistic scenario would be that the team keeps its name. (FC Edmonton, not Edmonton FC) and colour scheme (blue, white, and black) and would keep their existing animal motif as well (a rabbit)

I like the jersey though. There has been some talk of a contest from the club for fans to design the team's third jersey. I was talking with some supporters and many of them talked about how much they love Minnesota United's kit with the bird wing up the side, which you've clearly taken inspiration from there. I love that. I hope if the contest comes to fruition that we do indeed get a jersey like that one.

Victoria Wanderers SC

Inspired by both the old Victoria Cougars logo from the early 1900's and the University of Victoria Vikings (Vikes), my hometown Victoria Wanderers SC use the infamous blue and yellow colour scheme once again. I decided to try and use hoops for the jersey design, but really struggled to get the look I want. I think I got it, but any criticism helps. BC Ferries is the sponsor, as Victoria is on Vancouver Island and the ferries are the most common transportation to the island. BC Ferries is also headquartered in downtown Victoria. 

Nickname: The Wanderers

VWSC0.png

VWSC1.png

VWSC2.png

Next team due up: Calgary Harts SC

3 minutes ago, GarMc said:

These are looking great so far. I'm excited to see the Halifax club.

I do have some CC though. For the Edmonton team, it seems they are intended to be the continuation of the current NASL team switching to the CPL?

If that was the case, I think a more realistic scenario would be that the team keeps its name. (FC Edmonton, not Edmonton FC) and colour scheme (blue, white, and black) and would keep their existing animal motif as well (a rabbit)

I like the jersey though. There has been some talk of a contest from the club for fans to design the team's third jersey. I was talking with some supporters and many of them talked about how much they love Minnesota United's kit with the bird wing up the side, which you've clearly taken inspiration from there. I love that. I hope if the contest comes to fruition that we do indeed get a jersey like that one.

Awesome feedback, thank you. 

As for FC Edmonton/Edmonton FC, that's my bad. I do apologize haha. I was just so focused on scrapping their current crest that I overlooked that. EFC is a nicer acronym than FCE, anyways. Thankfully this is for fun/practice, even if I'd much rather be technically correct. Thanks!

As for the Halifax club, the crest is highly inspired by Chelsea, I'm sure most people will love and hate that. 

Calgary Harts SC

Next up, we have the Harts. Went for a westerny burgundy look for the south Albertan club. Simple crest once again. The jerseys are slightly inspired by FC Dallas' jerseys. Shaw of course being the sponsor due to the Telecom's headquarters being in Calgary. 

CHSC0.png

CHSC1.png

CHSC2.png

Next team due up: Toronto City Falcons

1 hour ago, Xamboni said:

I'd rather have the CPL be what the CFL is to the NFL, with the current Canadian teams staying in the MLS. I just can't see attendance beating the MLS. I think it would be more of a development league for Canadian talent. 

Thanks for the kind words :)

That's totally fair. 

I'd like to see the CPL (the one set to begin in 2018) do what it can to become it's own top tier team. The best way to do this would be to have regular games against top MLS clubs. That's really the only way I could see current Canadian MLS clubs leaving for CPL.

Archived