2018 World Cup Concept Series (Nov 15, KOR & SUI)

FlyingLamprey

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SWITZERLAND

The Swiss are in this series after a successful last couple of years.  Round of 16 finishes in both the 2014 World Cup (ending with a 1-0 loss to eventual runners-up Argentina) and Euro 2016 (a PK loss to Poland) are nothing to laugh at, and Switzerland hasn't slowed down since then.  Four games in their qualifying group have turned into four wins against Portugal, Hungary, Faroe Islands, and Andorra.  Pretty good!  For identity, I went very simplified with the look.  Their current logo is less than satisfactory, so I went and whipped up something simple.  The Swiss cross is set in a roundel with "Swiss Football Association" written in English and the abbreviations for the federation in German (SFV) and French (ASF)  Simple enough!  The jerseys continue this simplicity, as well as the Swiss tradition of not really having the federation logo front and center.  Instead of using the flag like has been done in the past, however, I elected to go for the coat of arms (which is the same thing really, just a different shape).  The home jersey is red and features a gradient chest stripe that goes from white to red to white.  This is paired with white shorts and red socks.  The clash kit is a reverse of the colors of the home kit, with the main feature being the thick pinstriped hoops featured on the shirt and socks.  This was supposed to mimic the clash kit from this summer's Euro tournament.  Puma sticks around as kit provider, and Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri.

dRLHbE0.png

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

THAILAND

My biggest mistake in this series wasn't choosing Egypt or Scotland or Slovenia.  It was picking Thailand to win both third in their group and two playoff games.  Here was my reasoning - they won their group in the second round of qualifying!  They beat out teams like Iraq!  And Vietnam!  And even yeah okay Taiwan was awful BUT THEY BEAT THE TEAMS THEY NEEDED TO.  That, and there's always some team or another that ends up in the World Cup that probably shouldn't belong (see also: Kuwait, Trinidad, etc.).  So I thought that this success and past history could translate to the next round of qualifying and that they could beat out Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Iraq again to get that playoff spot.  Fast forward to today and oooooooh big mistake.  They have a goal differential of -9 and their only point came from a weird and lucky draw against Australia.  So, not great!  After going back through the results, I saw the problem - Thailand ain't played nobody!  Four wins and two draws in their group is shadowed by the fact that 1) both losses were to runner-up Iraq, who recently beat them 4-0, and 2) They had the advantage of not playing Indonesia, who got disqualified by FIFA for government tampering!  The one good thing about this is that the team that Thailand beats in the AFC playoff?  Uzbekistan!  If I could go back and change this series, I would definitely have Uzbekistan in here instead of Thailand because they're doing... good?  They were in the exact same situation as Thailand, but with the benefit of actually playing a full schedule and actually beating their second-place team (North Korea).  And they've translated that into actual success!  Losses to South Korea and Iran are nothing to be ashamed about, and they've gone and beaten the teams that they need to beat in Qatar, China, and Syria.  This could conceivably happen!  I mean yes they'll still need to beat one other AFC team and the 4th-place CONCACAF team, but it could happen!  Enough reflecting on that, though, let's focus on my mistake of including Thailand.  Their logo is... on the right track, shall we say.  I like parts of it, but mmmmmmmm that elephant doesn't look good.  So I took parts of it (the shield shape, the cut-off flag, etc.) and added some new touches (the elephant now walks on a sash containing the country's name).  For the jerseys, I wanted to copy what I did with New Zealand and include "old" Nike teamwear.  The home matches the special sleeve look that all the prominent teams are rocking this year - a red shirt with white accents and red-and-blue sleeves paired with red shorts and white socks.  The clash is an emulation of the third kits all the big Nike clubs are currently wearing.  A deep dark blue goes in a stripe gradient to a less dark blue in the shorts and socks with yellow accents.  I'm aware it's close to Corinthians, but I didn't even notice until after the fact, so whatever!  Instead of the unusual choice of Grand Sport for the jerseys, I figured that Thailand making a World Cup would cause them to splurge on a bigger contract, hence Nike.  The names on the back?  Unknown to me before this series!  Teerasil Dangda and Teerathon Bunmathan!

IYl13j1.png

spacer.png

TUNISIA

This was another one of those situations that was a coin flip for me - Tunisia or DR Congo?  I settled on Tunisia to make up for not including Algeria (not much of a make up, but whatever), and also because GOD THEY NEED A NEW LOGO THAT EAGLE IS HIDEOUS.  First things first was to make a new logo.  Not my greatest achievement, but I'm happy with it (and as I mentioned with Nigeria, BIRDS ARE HARD).  A more militaristic-styled eagle sits behind a roundel with the Islamic star and crescent.  While it can be used in a roundel (with text displaying the federation name in both Arabic and French), it would be used most commonly as just the eagle and crescent.  For jerseys, the home is all-white with eagle wings on the lower half of the shirt.  The clash is all-red with a tapered chest stripe that leads into the crescent and star.  Puma takes over from Uhlsport as a celebration of their return to the World Cup (Puma made Tunisia's kits during the 2002 and 2006 World Cups), and the names are those of Saber Khalifa and Aymen Abdennour (whose name I misspelled on the jersey, will fix that soon).

eQZoDGr.png

spacer.png

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, nima said:

its a new Iran Kit concept for Worldcup 2018 - ( Home and Away jersey)

[images snipped]

1. Please don't hijack other members' threads with your own concepts. If you have a concept to share, please start our own thread.

2. Please don't bump old threads. This one had been inactive for more than a year before your post.

Archived