FlyingLamprey

2018 World Cup Concept Series (Nov 15, KOR & SUI)

Recommended Posts

russia_2018_logo_detail.jpg
 

Hey y'all!  I've never really posted a topic before, so I feel like I should introduce myself a bit.  I'm FlyingLamprey (please feel free to shorten this however you like - FL, Lamprey, etc), and I've been a member of the CCSLC boards for about 2 years now (joined in August of 2014), though I haven't really posted a lot.  I've mostly spent my time on the boards observing and commenting on other people's concepts, and I'd like to think that I've learned and improved a lot over the years.  I've had quite a few ideas bouncing around in my head, and this August I decided that I would get around to actually posting some of these ideas somewhere.  With that said, here's my first series!


Soccer!  I love soccer!  Second favorite sport of mine behind baseball.  I also love the World Cup!  A great way to bring the world together behind one concept (and to get us Americans actually interested in it for a month!).  So, it only seems fitting that my first concept series on the forums would be to make jerseys and some logos for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.  Simple enough, right?  Before I get started, however, a few things to note:
 

  • I will post two nations a day (going in alphabetical order), starting today and ending on November 6th, though there's always the chance that I'm too busy that day to post (in which case the two will be added to the next day's posts)
  • Not only have I created 32 different home and clash kits, I have also changed 13 different logos.  This is because the old ones were either so outdated or ugly that they needed SOMETHING different (it also helps me practice logo making, something my other series are going to rely heavily on).
  • My choices for countries were made when I started this in August, so you may see some teams here that have already been eliminated from World Cup qualifying (hi Canada!)
  • Team choices are FINAL.  As we go along, you may notice that I've left out some more traditional teams in lieu of some more unorthodox teams.  The reason for this is threefold: 1) Traditional powerhouses normally have logos that don't need to be changed and I wanted to be able to make some logos, 2) I find myself rooting for the underdog a lot (I had a blast cheering on Iceland and Wales during this summer's Euro tournament), and 3) I'm a hater.  This will not change no matter how much you bug me about it, so please save us all the trouble and don't.  Once the actual World Cup field is finalized, I might go through and create concepts for the teams that I missed, so you can look forward to that.

 

Other than that, I've got nothing else to add.  Huge thanks to @raysox for the amazing template, happening to have logos when I couldn't find them, and general support; and another huge thanks to @timberwolf for giving me feedback on some designs.  Enjoy the series, and please post your thoughts and what could be changed!  I am always looking to improve, so C&C is always appreciated!  I'll be posting the first two teams immediately after this post.
 

TEAMS (in alphabetical order):
Argentina

Australia

Belgium (v2)

Bulgaria

Canada

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Côte d'Ivoire

Czech Republic

Denmark

Ecuador

Egypt

France

Germany

Iceland

Iran (v2)

Ireland

Italy

Japan

New Zealand

Nigeria

Russia

Scotland

Slovenia

South Africa

South Korea

Switzerland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARGENTINA

By pure coincidence, the first team I post is also ranked first in the world - Argentina!  The runners-up of the last World Cup are back and ready for vengeance, and I can't imagine the Fightin' Messis finishing anywhere below 3rd in CONMEBOL qualifying.  As far as designs go, not a whole lot changes.  Argentina's logo is a classic, and I didn't want to change anything there.  Their uniforms are classic as well, so very little changes there as well.  The home kit is the traditional look - light blue shirt with white stripes, black shorts, and white socks.  The away kit is fairly traditional as well - an all-navy affair with white accents and a stripe on the front that mimics the Argentine flag.  The kits are made, as always, by Adidas, and the people modeling them are (who else?) Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain.  This one might've been a bit of an easy one to start off on, so bear with me until we get to the more interesting designs (i.e. like the next team I'm posting).

nTHGNVI.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AUSTRALIA

Australia has really grown into a much better team since moving to the AFC, culminating in their Asian Cup victory last year.  I've always liked the Socceroos, so I've no reason to leave them out of the World Cup anytime soon.  The biggest change you might notice is the logo.  I decided to dump the old "ribbon-globe" look in favor of something more traditional.  I went for a traditional shield shape with a kangaroo and a Southern Cross in classic green-and-gold.  This was also specifically designed for easy customization - you can make it the logo for the women's team by replacing "Socceroos" with "Matildas", swap "Australia" for "Caltex" to fit with their sponsorship, and so on.  Another change was the removal of the country's coat of arms from the jerseys, which was done because I couldn't find a good simplified version of it the new logo stands strong enough on its own.  For the home kit, I went fairly traditional as well.  The only standout feature on the yellow shirt, green shorts, and white socks is the Southern Cross placed on the front of the shirt.  The clash kit is... different from the home kit.  While the all-navy with yellow accents is normal, the pattern on the front of the shirt is unique.  It's supposed to be reminiscent of Aboriginal artwork, and the pattern itself is taken from a drawing of the Rainbow Serpent (this one, in fact: https://www.artinvesta.com/uploads/artwork/16/1352095092IMG1126.jpg).  I've also attached a zoomed-in version of the pattern to get a better idea of what it looks like.  Jerseys are made by Nike, and the names are those of Matt McKay and Jamie Maclaren (can you guess what team I've played with in Football Manager?).

XlrpZMe.png
WZ9fDAN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FlyingLamprey said:

AUSTRALIA

Australia has really grown into a much better team since moving to the AFC, culminating in their Asian Cup victory last year.  I've always liked the Socceroos, so I've no reason to leave them out of the World Cup anytime soon.  The biggest change you might notice is the logo.  I decided to dump the old "ribbon-globe" look in favor of something more traditional.  I went for a traditional shield shape with a kangaroo and a Southern Cross in classic green-and-gold.  This was also specifically designed for easy customization - you can make it the logo for the women's team by replacing "Socceroos" with "Matildas", swap "Australia" for "Caltex" to fit with their sponsorship, and so on.  Another change was the removal of the country's coat of arms from the jerseys, which was done because I couldn't find a good simplified version of it the new logo stands strong enough on its own.  For the home kit, I went fairly traditional as well.  The only standout feature on the yellow shirt, green shorts, and white socks is the Southern Cross placed on the front of the shirt.  The clash kit is... different from the home kit.  While the all-navy with yellow accents is normal, the pattern on the front of the shirt is unique.  It's supposed to be reminiscent of Aboriginal artwork, and the pattern itself is taken from a drawing of the Rainbow Serpent (this one, in fact: https://www.artinvesta.com/uploads/artwork/16/1352095092IMG1126.jpg).  I've also attached a zoomed-in version of the pattern to get a better idea of what it looks like.  Jerseys are made by Nike, and the names are those of Matt McKay and Jamie Maclaren (can you guess what team I've played with in Football Manager?).

XlrpZMe.png
WZ9fDAN.png

Very clever and creative I must say. As an Australian, I would be very happy to see the socceroos run out in kits similar to these. Some C&C- I think you should ditch the southern cross on the front of the home, either that or make it smaller. Just would make it look a little cleaner I guess.

 

And it looks as though you played as the Brisbane Roar in Football Manager :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spanna65 said:

Very clever and creative I must say. As an Australian, I would be very happy to see them run out in kits similar to these. In my opinion though, I think you should ditch the southern cross on the front of the home, either that or make it smaller. 

 

And it looks as though you played as the Brisbane Roar in Football Manager :)


Thanks for the input!  I was concerned that it might be a bit too big while I was making it, so I do think I will go back and change it.  Alternatively, I could make it a sublimated pattern instead - do you think that would be better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlyingLamprey said:

Soccer!  I love soccer!  Second favorite sport of mine behind baseball.  I also love the World Cup!

I see we are a lot alike. Great concepts so far. Can't wait for more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FlyingLamprey said:


Thanks for the input!  I was concerned that it might be a bit too big while I was making it, so I do think I will go back and change it.  Alternatively, I could make it a sublimated pattern instead - do you think that would be better?

Yeah, I think that would work well alternatively. Looking forward to the rest of these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an update to Australia based on @Spanna65's recommendation.  The only thing that I changed was making the Southern Cross a sublimated pattern.  The next two posts will come up right after this.

 

m20cX5U.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BELGIUM

Belgium's recent run of success lands them a spot in this series, and being in one of the easier qualifying groups definitely helps as well (I don't see them finishing behind both Greece and Bosnia).  I decided to not go too crazy with the uniforms here - a classic team needs a classic look.  The home kit is fairly simple - the red/black/yellow combination is a classic look, accentuated by a single hoop reminiscent of the 2014 WC kits and the current clash kit.  The clash kit is a black/yellow/black affair with an argyle middle stripe, calling back to the wild and wonderful argyle-based kits of 1984.  Kits are once again made by Adidas and are modeled by Romelu Lukaku and Laurent Ciman (yes I should've used someone else like de Bruyne or Hazard but hindsight's 20/20, okay?).

7OycISs.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BULGARIA

And here is where I made my first mistake - thinking Bulgaria could beat out Sweden for second place in Group A.  Not only have they been outscored by Sweden and France 7-1, their lone win was a 4-3 nightmare against Luxembourg.  For reference, here's some teams ranked ahead of 89th-placed Bulgaria: Antigua and Barbuda, Curaçao, Faroe Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis, Cape Verde, and Guinea-Bissau!  August me was an optimistic moron, and while I could easily go back and change it, I've stuck with these teams till the end.  Plus I get to show off this shiny new logo I made!  It's a little abstract for a federation logo, but I'm pretty happy with it.  It's a lion split into three parts to form an abstract Bulgarian flag with the Federation's initials on the side.  It's a little hard to tell how the colors work, but it goes something like this: the default on a white background is gold/red/green, though if the background is any of those colors, then that part of the lion becomes white.  And if viewed on a neutral color like black, it defaults to the colors of the flag (i.e. gold is replaced with white).  Simple enough, right?  For the jerseys, I came up with something conservative and something wild.  The home kit is classy, with the colors matching the flag and the only noticeable feature is the sublimated lion on the front.  For the clash kit I went in a very different direction - giant stripes!  Yes, I brought back the giant stripes from the 1994 World Cup kits (http://img.fifa.com/mm/photo/classic/players/01/78/82/86/1788286_full-lnd.jpg), but to keep things from getting out of hand, I limited them to the front of the jersey.  The color combination for this one was red/white/green, which was the combination used on the clash kits from 2009-14.  And for the first time this series, we have a manufacturer change!  I figured that to celebrate their first World Cup appearance in 20 years, they would've signed a kit deal with someone a little more lucrative than Joma.  I ended up settling on Adidas since they've had history with them before.  The players featured here are two people I've never heard of before - Svetoslav Dyakov from Ludogorets and Georgi Milanov from CSKA.

O8al4ae.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see more soccer concepts on this board, I really like how you're predicting the teams according to their qualification groups. :)

 

The Argentinian away kit looks very cool, love the flag on the middle. Though you might want to try a striped back for the home kit instead of solid light blue, as I don't really remember them using solid colored kit backs (Though it then might look too similar to the current kit they're wearing). If you still want to use solid backs, white could also be a good idea.

For Australia, I really like the designs on the away kit. I also agree that the sublimated Southern Cross works better on the home kit. Fantastic work here!

The argyle on the Belgian away kit looks great, maybe try making the collars on both kits black to balance out the flag colors on the home kit, and to place emphasis on the design on the away kit. You might also consider changing the sleeve stripes to black for the home kit to balance out the colors even more.

In the Bulgarian away kit, I think the giant stripes alongside with the Adidas stripes on the sides are a bit too much, maybe try ditching the Adidas stripes on the side and placing the giant stripes in such an angle such that they are continued on the shorts as well. Their shorts are also a unique and an unusual look.

 

I will definitely follow this thread and can't wait to see more of your work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kerlonmoura said:

Nice to see more soccer concepts on this board, I really like how you're predicting the teams according to their qualification groups. :)

 

The Argentinian away kit looks very cool, love the flag on the middle. Though you might want to try a striped back for the home kit instead of solid light blue, as I don't really remember them using solid colored kit backs (Though it then might look too similar to the current kit they're wearing). If you still want to use solid backs, white could also be a good idea.

For Australia, I really like the designs on the away kit. I also agree that the sublimated Southern Cross works better on the home kit. Fantastic work here!

The argyle on the Belgian away kit looks great, maybe try making the collars on both kits black to balance out the flag colors on the home kit, and to place emphasis on the design on the away kit. You might also consider changing the sleeve stripes to black for the home kit to balance out the colors even more.

In the Bulgarian away kit, I think the giant stripes alongside with the Adidas stripes on the sides are a bit too much, maybe try ditching the Adidas stripes on the side and placing the giant stripes in such an angle such that they are continued on the shorts as well. Their shorts are also a unique and an unusual look.

 

I will definitely follow this thread and can't wait to see more of your work!


Thanks for your input!  The reason for the solid block on the back of the Argentine home kit is because a lot of soccer's overseeing bodies have gotten a little uppity about "clarity of the names and numbers" (I know this happens in like UEFA, where teams like Monaco have to use solid backs).  So this is more of a preemptive measure of sorts, if you will.  For Belgium, I usually like to have the trim stay pretty consistent on one element, but I'll probably go back and see what a little black does to those kits and will post them if I think it looks better.  And with Bulgaria, I'm not super keen on removing the side stripes, if only it seems like Adidas wouldn't do that - they love their Three Stripe Branding!  I know it's weird to have realism in a series like this, but I do want to keep it somewhat grounded in reality, like "I could see this actually happening someday".  It's probably a stupid thing for me to do, but I do like the realism, so I'll stick with it for now.  And oh man I was trying so hard to get those stripes to continue onto the shorts, but I couldn't find a way to make it look good!  Thanks a lot for your input though, it's greatly appreciated!

Teams 5 and 6 are going up shortly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CANADA

The worst part of all of this was that I finished this the same day that Canada was officially eliminated from World Cup qualifying.  Sorry, guys!  And it's not like I wish ill-will on you guys, I love Canada!  And I really like their national team!  The youth that y'all have built up is scary good, but I guess it wasn't quite ready yet.  But what if the Canucks make up that 5-goal differential and somehow make third place in the Hex?  That's where I come in!  First things first, the national team has an okay logo.  It's a little dated though, and I wanted to make it look even better.  So all i basically did was clean it up!  I made the maple leaf sharper and more symmetrical, simplified the ball a lot, and changed the "Canada" from the boring default font it was to a more exciting art deco-inspired font.  And for reference, the text turns black on white backgrounds.  For the jerseys, I went all-out on the maple leaf motif (which probably isn't a smart idea since Canada has other things too but what's done is done).  The home jersey is all red and features a white center stripe with a leaf peaking up from behind it (same idea carries over to the socks).  The clash kit, however, goes in a totally different direction!  I had too many red-and-white teams in this series, and as such Canada became a victim of "someone's gotta change".  As such, the clash kit cycled through multiple colors - black, brown, tan, etc. - until @timberwolf suggested a light blue.  That worked perfectly!  It gives me this arctic vibe and reminds me of the light blue roadies baseball teams had in the 70's.  As far as designs go with the clash, I kept it fairly simple - maple leaf sleeves and socks that follow the home kit.  I'd totally buy those socks too - swap the logo for a nice Canada script and I'm sold.  I decided to keep Umbro as the manufacturer, and the names on the back are of The Future of Canada (Cyle Larin and Tesho Akindele).

 

jCYprdw.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHILE

Chile has back-to-back Copa America titles under its belt, so they were an obvious shoe-in to make this series.  Sure, maybe they're 7th in CONMEBOL qualifying right now, but I feel like that'll change before long (though I'm not as bullish on them as I was when I started - I had them finishing first overall!).  Anyway you look at it, I will be very surprised to see them miss out on the World Cup.  By chance, I ended up making very few changes to the team.  The federation logo stays the same, as I particularly like it.  The jerseys are also kept super simple.  I usually try to keep tabs on what the inspirations are for the jerseys I make, but I seem to have lost the exact year for the home kit's inspiration.  If I had to guess, I'd say the 1982 World Cup?  Sure, let's go with that.  A red shirt with a single white stripe on the shoulders is paired with blue shorts and white socks.  The clash is a little abstract, but it's supposed to be the flag of Chile.  It'd be a little easier to tell if I didn't make the blue and white symmetrical, but I think it looks better aesthetically like this.  This is paired with white shorts and blue socks to kind of match up with Nike's "templated" look this year.  Speaking of, Nike's still around!  You guys better get used to Nike and Adidas, since 21 of 32 teams in this series use one or the other.  The names on the back are that of Alexis Sánchez and Felipe Gutiérrez.
 

5X4vhLT.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all of your kits, especially, Canada. Great job, keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*crosses fingers and toes....and legs...and arms* "Please let Israel qualify" "Please let Israel qualify" "Plleeeaaaassseee let Israel qualify"

Great work by the way

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

*crosses fingers and toes....and legs...and arms* "Please let Israel qualify" "Please let Israel qualify" "Plleeeaaaassseee let Israel qualify"

Great work by the way

 

Israel likely won't qualify, they're in a group with both Italy and Spain, they could but it will be difficult

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.