Seattle Arena

buckeye

I couldn't find any post about it from recent time, so thought I would make a new one. Chris Hansen has reportedly been in talks to finance a new Seattle Arena on his own, along with a couple investors. 

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/seattle-arena-group-offers-to-privately-finance-arena-fix-lander/341564181?platform=hootsuite

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on Sonics Rising brought up the idea of the mayor doing that to prove there is no interest in remodeling Key Arena, to further the idea that a new arena is needed if they want the NBA to return to Seattle.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

1 hour ago, EvilChameleon said:

Someone on Sonics Rising brought up the idea of the mayor doing that to prove there is no interest in remodeling Key Arena, to further the idea that a new arena is needed if they want the NBA to return to Seattle.

I'd hope so, but on the flipside I haven't seen anything that supports it. The only thing we know right now is the track record of the Seattle City Council (which I believe is virtually the same as the council that voted down the vacating Occidental).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Yeah. I posted the King 5 story in the NBA thread. The Seattle City Council is out to lunch in pretty much everything, and it's a non election year.

Unfortunately, the only Council members that vetoed the last deal were all women. And I say that to say that they were able to couch all opposition to their vote as being wrapped in misogyny and hatred. That was true for some, of course, but they short circuited their responsibility for having a :censored:ty vote.

Their complaints about misogyny got them on the Samantha Bee show, which I think they enjoyed.

The big issue in Seattle politics right now is how much public land and resources we should apply to homeless population. That Council wanted to give them access to public parks and a $250 voucher if they were ever told to move. Seattle proper has been unimpressed, to say the least.

So while the Hansen deal is a no trainer, the SCC has been acting kind of brainless.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Yeah. I posted the King 5 story in the NBA thread. The Seattle City Council is out to lunch in pretty much everything, and it's a non election year.

Unfortunately, the only Council members that vetoed the last deal were all women. And I say that to say that they were able to couch all opposition to their vote as being wrapped in misogyny and hatred. That was true for some, of course, but they short circuited their responsibility for having a :censored:ty vote.

Their complaints about misogyny got them on the Samantha Bee show, which I think they enjoyed.

The big issue in Seattle politics right now is how much public land and resources we should apply to homeless population. That Council wanted to give them access to public parks and a $250 voucher if they were ever told to move. Seattle proper has been unimpressed, to say the least.

So while the Hansen deal is a no trainer, the SCC has been acting kind of brainless.

that explains a lot then.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

11 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Has the NBA announced expansion plans or does he plan on "stealing" and moving another NBA team, much like the Sonics were?

Neither.

While there was a CBS Sports story two weeks ago regarding possible expansion, the league has to get the CBA settled first. The league and the union are less than 50 days from opting out of the current CBA.

And there aren't any franchises currently up for sale.

20 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

NHL should be in Seattle.  That's a no brainer for me.

The NHL would be below the following on the local totem poll

NFL

NBA (assuming a return)

MLS (!)

MLB

mebbe NCAA, hey Huskies football might actually be "Back!"

In the 13th largest metro area in the country....and said metro area is the size of Phoenix.

Vegas is smarter than Seattle would be.  No brainer is right.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've been to a couple of WHL Thunderbird games that are decently attended (about 5,000 at each?), but have otherwise seen no particular groundswell of interest in NHL hockey here. No jerseys. No hats. No hockey bars that I know of.

I think NHL would do well here for a couple of years due to novelty, but I definitely agree with Rams' assessment of where it would fit. It would likely be beneath the WNBA Storm too.

I wonder if other markets place their MLS team higher than their NHL team. The only comp I could see might be Columbus, but that doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Seattle needs an NBA team. If an arena is built, basketball will be the main priority. Pretty much covered. 

Instead, give Portland and NHL team. They may be second to the Blazers, but there's no NFL or MLB team in the city (yet). 

plenty of NHL fans and hockey bars in the Seattle area,  you just gotta open your eyes.  Best bar is the Angry Beaver up in Greenwood but have found many down in the south sound. Just walk in wearing Canucks gear and I always find plenty of people come crawling out of the shadows wanting to watch and talk hockey. NHL would be huge here, no doubt in my mind and would definitely crush the Sounders. Even if the NBA squirms their way back here the future NHL team would be neck and neck with them and the Mariners in popularity with good potential to pass them both as second behind the Hawks. 

4 hours ago, ~Bear said:

Instead, give Portland and NHL team. They may be second to the Blazers, but there's no NFL or MLB team in the city (yet). 

OK.  They'd be third at best behind the Blazers, Timbers, and likely Thorns as even they average 17K/game.

Unless Paul Allen owns it, the team is a losing proposition since Allen controls arena revenue.

1 hour ago, Totems!! said:

plenty of NHL fans and hockey bars in the Seattle area,  you just gotta open your eyes.  Best bar is the Angry Beaver up in Greenwood but have found many down in the south sound. Just walk in wearing Canucks gear and I always find plenty of people come crawling out of the shadows wanting to watch and talk hockey. NHL would be huge here, no doubt in my mind and would definitely crush the Sounders. Even if the NBA squirms their way back here the future NHL team would be neck and neck with them and the Mariners in popularity with good potential to pass them both as second behind the Hawks. 

Probably should lay off the Colombian stuff.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived