Ranking Universities Top 3 Logos

ckunz

Been thinking and sketching a little bit lately. I've decided to rank the Top 3 logos that college's use. It's going to be for any and every college. Please feel free to join in with your own top 3 for the universities. I would like to start with Penn State. Ever since their white-out upset of #3 Ohio State, it's got me thinking about logos and such. Let me know if you agree or disagree or have any related feedback. Thanks!

Top 3 Penn State logos of all time. From 1-3 going top to bottom.

How can you not have the iconic "Nittany Lion" logo at number 1.

Love the old logo from the early 2000's. Haven't seen it used for a long time though

3rd is just a word mark and kinda reminds me of the "Penn" tennis ball logo.

Penn State.jpg

ALternate.png

State.jpg

University of Wisconsin-Madison institutional logo (here combined with the institutional wordmark). When I attended the school, it was more commonly referred to as the "Field House W" because it debuted in 1930 with the opening of the UW Field House.

uwlogo.png

Pre-Motion W primary logo:

5160_wisconsin_badgers-primary-1948.png

Outlined Motion W (much sharper than the non-outlined Motion W)

6246_wisconsin_badgers-alternate-1991.pn

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

13 hours ago, ckunz said:

How about either one of these?

image.png

image.png

I'm just partial to the spear, lol.

I do like the interlocking FSU though. And I think the diagonal FSU with the spear hidden in the F only looks good on certain applications. Like it's looks fine on a windbreaker or a pair of shorts but looks stupid on a hat.

1. The classic strutting Ram has always been my favorite UNC logo. I think it's essentially defunct now. I feel like even the updated version is rarely used, sadly.

2. The interlocking "NC" is the most immediately recognizable logo for the university. Tough to argue with its timelessness.

3. I really like the script logo that Nike came up with in the 2015 rebrand. It's used pretty much exclusively for the baseball team, but I'd love to see it used more often.

There are lots of others I could post & appreciate. Even the interlocking "NC" on Rameses' sweater below is noteworthy.

40df6392403e0f41f80cbf14f511ba32.jpg

UNC_logo_native_600.jpg

Carolina2Clr_BsbllSftBll_w_g.jpg

21 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

University of Wisconsin-Madison institutional logo (here combined with the institutional wordmark). When I attended the school, it was more commonly referred to as the "Field House W" because it debuted in 1930 with the opening of the UW Field House.

uwlogo.png

Pre-Motion W primary logo:

5160_wisconsin_badgers-primary-1948.png

Outlined Motion W (much sharper than the non-outlined Motion W)

6246_wisconsin_badgers-alternate-1991.pn

Interesting. Didn't know about that. IMO the Motion W is the best one. 

7 hours ago, TGroce said:

1. The classic strutting Ram has always been my favorite UNC logo. I think it's essentially defunct now. I feel like even the updated version is rarely used, sadly.

2. The interlocking "NC" is the most immediately recognizable logo for the university. Tough to argue with its timelessness.

3. I really like the script logo that Nike came up with in the 2015 rebrand. It's used pretty much exclusively for the baseball team, but I'd love to see it used more often.

There are lots of others I could post & appreciate. Even the interlocking "NC" on Rameses' sweater below is noteworthy.

40df6392403e0f41f80cbf14f511ba32.jpg

UNC_logo_native_600.jpg

Carolina2Clr_BsbllSftBll_w_g.jpg

I love the horns on the strutting ram. The interlocking NC is iconic. And that script Carolina word mark would look amazing on a basketball jersey. 

10 hours ago, VikWings said:

I'm just partial to the spear, lol.

I do like the interlocking FSU though. And I think the diagonal FSU with the spear hidden in the F only looks good on certain applications. Like it's looks fine on a windbreaker or a pair of shorts but looks stupid on a hat.

I didn't even think about how it would look on a hat until you said that. But you're right on that. It works for some things and doesn't for others. 

7 hours ago, ckunz said:

Never seen that hockey logo before. Love the last gopher logo a ton!

The Women's team currently has it one their sweaters, but the men don't... I think it's based off of an original logo for the men's program in its early stages...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived