NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

6 minutes ago, colortv said:

Whoa...when did the Lakers change the piping during the Wilt era?

wilt-chamberlain.jpg

another-title-for-wilt-chamberlain-hes-t

Top was last used in 1971-72 season and bottom one was first used in 1972-73 season, according to Sportslogos.net ;)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Looks like a new court for the Pacers:

IMG_6446.thumb.JPG.95c9a0bad684db493a340f14a48eed50.JPG

I would think it'll match the courts at their new practice facility, except with the new secondary logo inside the three point lines instead of the St. Vincent Center logo.

IMG_6447.thumb.JPG.01ec4e15b35bfb7ce188ab3a753734bf.JPG

Wish there was more gold, but most definitely an improvement.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I can assure you that they were not designed overnight. Regardless of what you think of them? They're probably the result of at least a year's worth of back and forth between Nike, the NBA, and the Cavs. Probably two years' worth.

The size of the sports apparel machine is such that teams can't really change directions overnight based on players suddenly deciding to leave. Teams need to start the process years out so manufacturers know to wind down production of current stock. Stores need that time to sell off the stock they have. And once a new identity is decided upon? The manufacturers produce mountains of apparel based on the new look that's ready to hit shelves the moment it's all unveiled. There's no flexibility to change things up on the fly.

My "designed overnight" comment was definitely meant to be hyperbole, mainly because these feel so....templated. Nike has plenty of templates for high school, college, and other levels, and nothing about this looks like an NBA-caliber design. Add that to the fact someone mentioned about the color being Nike's "team red" that A.S. Roma used from 2014-2017 or so, and I honestly don't know what about this couldn't be accomplished in an accelerated timespan -- obviously not overnight, but certainly less than the typical 12-18 months. If the uniform itself is a template or based on one, and the colors are decided upon and/or modified to Nike's own, and the Cavaliers have their wordmarks, logos, etc. in place, how much is really left in the process? Plus with Nike's takeover being in place since 2015, manufacturers would've already been aware of the need and timeframe in which to liquidate stock, so I don't see that as an issue....not to mention we still have over an additional two months until Nike's official global launch of all NBA apparel. I'm not saying it's likely (hence, my tin foil hat-wearing conspiracy theorist preface!), but there just seem to be a few odd dots to connect that may or may not amount to something.

51 minutes ago, colortv said:

Whoa...when did the Lakers change the piping during the Wilt era?

another-title-for-wilt-chamberlain-hes-t

That's my all time favorite Lakers jersey...wish they would bring those back, including the unique extra wide number spacing.

16 minutes ago, Surf said:

So everytime a great player leaves or comes to cleveland, they change uniforms.

Don´t get this move, though their previous  sets were pretty good, except for the black one of course.

Once again ...

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Probably not.

No. Uniforms are often designed a year or two out from when they debut. Take the last switch. It was just a coincidence that the then-new Cavs uniforms debuted their first year without LeBron. Those uniforms were ready to go and the Cavs would have worn them had LeBron chosen to stay in Cleveland. Same deal here. These uniforms were in the pipeline before anyone started speculating on LeBron leaving.

42 minutes ago, The AFC South said:

Once again ...

Okay, it was also more of a tongue in cheek comment, because i think changing uniforms as often as the cavs and others teams do is ridiculous.

Lakers, Celtics and bulls don't change. If you want to be respected and taken seriously, pick one look and stick with it! 

A user on the Pacers subreddit said the new uniforms will be revealed on Friday. The Hickory uniforms will be all white, and there will be a blue, white, and yellow set. The biggest change is that it will have the full team name on the front, Indiana on top and Pacers under the number. 

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Looks like a new court for the Pacers:

IMG_6446.thumb.JPG.95c9a0bad684db493a340f14a48eed50.JPG

I would think it'll match the courts at their new practice facility, except with the new secondary logo inside the three point lines instead of the St. Vincent Center logo.

IMG_6447.thumb.JPG.01ec4e15b35bfb7ce188ab3a753734bf.JPG

Finally, they've got the worst court in the NBA even worse than TImbwerwolves.

4r2eer.png

42 minutes ago, Smizzle21 said:

A user on the Pacers subreddit said the new uniforms will be revealed on Friday. The Hickory uniforms will be all white, and there will be a blue, white, and yellow set. The biggest change is that it will have the full team name on the front, Indiana on top and Pacers under the number. 

I don't know if they'll be the only team with city and team name on the front...we already saw that Brooklyn Nets jersey...and maybe the team name will be above the number too...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Cavs wine jersey? 

IMG_0278.JPG

Edit: Here is the source

Pretty big downgrade, in my opinion.  The navy just doesn't mesh well with those shades of wine and gold.  The numbers look massive and the word mark looks too small.  The striping just seems to be there for the sake of being there.

12 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

Firstly the actual logo is 10x worse than the actual jersey. What bothers me is that they use black on the logo, yet use navy on the jerseys. Choose a :censored:ing colour.

Black only appears in one logo, and it’s the one one that will be the most rarely used, I’m guessing. It’s also limited to the background fill color of a shield, not any of the typography, Cs, swords, or anything else. I expect a black uniform, but I doubt you'll be seeing it mixed in with navy on the other uniforms much, if at all.

The new logos are low caliber, but the whole “OMG! Black *and* navy together!!!???” thing seems like it was blown out of proportion. The Cavs are a wine, gold, and navy team who happen to have a black alternate jersey, just as they were before.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Black only appears in one logo, and it’s the one one that will be the most rarely used, I’m guessing. It’s also limited to the background fill color of a shield, not any of the typography, Cs, swords, or anything else. I expect a black uniform, but I doubt you'll be seeing it mixed in with navy on the other uniforms much, if at all.

The new logos are low caliber, but the whole “OMG! Black *and* navy together!!!???” thing seems like it was blown out of proportion. The Cavs are a wine, gold, and navy team who happen to have a black alternate jersey, just as they were before.

That's all fine and well... you can spin it any way you want.  Its still a bad look.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Yikes, that's not a good look for how Nike is implementing the wishbone collar on their template. I figured it'd stay looking the same since Nike was the one that initially pioneered it back in the early 2000s. Ambivalent towards the sponsor, hopefully there is a different color option for it on the presumable Chrome alternate jerseys.

11 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

Yikes, that's not a good look for how Nike is implementing the wishbone collar on their template. I figured it'd stay looking the same since Nike was the one that initially pioneered it back in the early 2000s. Ambivalent towards the sponsor, hopefully there is a different color option for it on the presumable Chrome and Red alternate jerseys.

Huh, I'd say this new wishbone collar is actually considerably better than this:

IMG_6456.JPG.d547b46bf5f8c5f09d51121b76b18f26.JPG

Granted, it's still not a good look per se, but at least it doesn't have that damn horizontal line connecting to the colored piping of the wishbone shape.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived