NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

DFrK1nUXUAEjH4o.jpgDFrK1nhXoAQA82l.jpg

All in all, I like it. As crappy as the DP logo is, it's still better than the previous P secondary. I like the addition of the belt logo. Just wish they could have kept the horizontal stripe on the wishbone collar or change the collar completely if it couldn't be made to work with the Nike template.

One thing I will say about these new Nike uniforms is that the materials look so much better than Adidas' Rev 30's, at least IMO. They make for a much cleaner look overall without the obvious mesh pattern over the entirety of the jersey. The new Nike jerseys still do have the engineered Vapor Aeroswift ventilation panels, but they aren't nearly as noticeable as Adidas' Rev 30 mesh pattern.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

DFrThSvUIAEeF44.jpg

Assuming these mockups are accurate, this presents us with a first look at what the Nike NBA socks and tights could look like. I wonder how many colors they'll have available for both the socks and tights, and if they'll have any team-specific sock designs like Stance did.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

DFrThSvUIAEeF44.jpg

Personally I will miss heavier set unis Nike first created for NBA teams in the late 90s-early 2000s, starting to care less about the lighter or vapor unis they have now created.  Still better than rev 30 Adidas unis, but not by a significant margin.

6 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

One thing I will say about these new Nike uniforms is that the materials look so much better than Adidas' Rev 30's, at least IMO. They make for a much cleaner look overall without the obvious mesh pattern over the entirety of the jersey. The new Nike jerseys still do have the engineered Vapor Aeroswift ventilation panels, but they aren't nearly as noticeable as Adidas' Rev 30 mesh pattern.

Agreed.  Still, let's see how they look once the players start sweating in them. 

7773370052_6ed68d1062_o.png

You know, seeing the Flagstar Bank logo thing listed there next to the Pistons and Nike logos....just brought one of those thoughts back into my head.

do businesses really believe that spending this kind of marketing actually does anything to increase customers? I know I'm one individual but seeing Baseball parks filled with ads that are nothing more than corporate shill to put their name somewhere, or having a logo on the front of a jersey be it basketball or soccer...it honestly doesn't do a thing for me.

using the Celtics as an example, now that the GE logo is on their jersey, I'm not suddenly going to be subconsciously drawn to GE products because they happened to purchase ad space.  The more deeper thought into that is "if these companies can afford to rent ad space from a professional sports time, why should I be giving them more money?"

and with the Pistons, seeing their new ad isn't making me go "oh damn, better go change banks now because a team has put a different bank's logo on their jersey".  Whole concept is asinine overall and it's a damn shame it has come to that all because of the almighty dollar.  I know it's not anything new, especially with ballparks but just....ugh (sorry, rant over)

All that being said, I agree the DP would fit more on the belt...but my word do they need a better Secondary to fit the name.  that DP is so clunky and awkward....like most DPs can be ;)

The 'DP' logo is questionable at best, and I'd personally prefer a different collar shape, but overall these translate well to the new template and are nice and clean. No major complaints.

One thing I'm puzzled by, though, is the lack of professional rollouts -- Nike did a great job a few years back when they took over the NFL, but so far with things left up to the individual teams it just feels kind of weird and unprofessional.

3 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

You know, seeing the Flagstar Bank logo thing listed there next to the Pistons and Nike logos....just brought one of those thoughts back into my head.

do businesses really believe that spending this kind of marketing actually does anything to increase customers? I know I'm one individual but seeing Baseball parks filled with ads that are nothing more than corporate shill to put their name somewhere, or having a logo on the front of a jersey be it basketball or soccer...it honestly doesn't do a thing for me.

Marketers don't depend on a single brand impression -- or even a single ad, run repeatedly -- to change consumer behavior.  Sponsorships like this (or at stadiums, etc.) are just one part of a comprehensive strategy to improve brand awareness.  If Flagstar is paying $ to get on the jersey, then I'd wager that they'll also partner with the Pistons to run a local campaign featuring Flagstar as "the official bank of the Detroit Pistons," or some such.  They might have in-arena booths offering deals on personal checking accounts; they might get the exclusive rights to  manage all of the in-arena ATMs.  They might sponsor a "Three Point *Bank* Shot" competition during a time out.  Etc, etc. 

I'm not saying that every marketing dollar spent nets the same return -- clearly, some marketing efforts fail.  But these folks are playing chess, not checkers.  I'd never heard of Flagstar Bank before; I have now.  And for them, that's a start.

1 hour ago, suns1977 said:

So far these ads aren't completely destroying the look like I thought they would.  (From @darrenrovell on Twitter.)

Ads.jpg

No no no no no don't stand up for them.  These are terrible.  No more, no less.  

You're either pregnant or you're not, you either have a concussion or you don't, and all uniforms with ads suck.  

90758391980.gif

Soccer jerseys don't.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

No no no no no don't stand up for them.  These are terrible.  No more, no less.  

You're either pregnant or you're not, you either have a concussion or you don't, and all uniforms with ads suck.  

Well if I had a choice, there would be no ads on these bad boys, but money talks.

They are a reality now, so we're forced to look at them.  I'm simply saying some of them don't destroy the look as I thought they would.

At this point, I *want* my Wizards to get a jersey sponsorship.  Yeah, the aestheticist in me won't like it, but I also want my team to continue paying the luxury tax when they need to, so if a random ugly jersey ad from Geico or Lockheed Martin helps them afford a better bench, so be it. 

Archived