NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From their release video, it looks like the Hornets have special team-colored Jordan Brand NBA socks as well:

IMG_6580.thumb.PNG.7a6ea17ceceaab096ebba520b7edc5de.PNG

Now I'm really curious to see the other Nike NBA sock options. Hopefully other teams will have something similar to these Hornets socks.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The white jumpman doesn't bother me.  It's consistent with the "Association" version, where the wordmark is teal and the jumpman logo is teal.

That said, I never liked these Charlotte unis.  I don't like the blocky # font.  And, I *really* don't like that the right side of the uniform has no armhole trim, no side panel, no waistband, no short panel, and no leg trim. 

Here's a website that goes over most of the specifics.

Overall, I knew that there wasn't going to be a drastic change, but also some the specifics wouldn't make the transition, like the collar and arm trim. Since they didn't completely wreck the car, and are most likely going to be wearing the teal uniforms for the majority of games, I give it a pass, knowing that the throwbacks are on the way.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

39 minutes ago, arcane said:

I would of liked to have seen an outline around the numbers to make them not as bold 1 colour/flat

Yeah I've always hated the 1 color number on these jerseys. A solids white outline would look a lot better IMO. 

Other than that, I like these. The teal is better than the purple set. And the Jumpan logo fits nicely. White jerseys should've have the purple logo though. 

10 minutes ago, Delux247 said:

Hornets removed same-color wordmarks on bottom right side of shorts. 

Those are still there, according to their website:

IMG_6591.PNG.7fa46e0a575dcd044dd9ec8ccc2953f6.PNG

You can kind of see it on the white shorts if you look to the left of the cut in the shorts:

IMG_6590.thumb.JPG.2394e2eb063124544d34c2447b5f5fff.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Those are still there, according to their website:

IMG_6591.PNG.7fa46e0a575dcd044dd9ec8ccc2953f6.PNG

You can kind of see it on the white shorts if you look to the left of the cut:

IMG_6590.thumb.JPG.2394e2eb063124544d34c2447b5f5fff.JPG

Odd that the wordmark is mentioned in the Icon description but not the Association. 

ujsignature.png

25 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Why hype new uniforms but to do nothing really new? Why waste all that time and marketing? Smh. Overall I was expecting stripes on both sides so it doesn't look like an Adidas uniform.

Whatever.

The previous set (the "adidas" version) were designed by the Jordan brand team. So it makes sense they kept it. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

An underrated but genius move was making sure there were no armhole stripes. I'm sorry, but I still can't get over how Nike's template cuts off every team's stripes--it just makes those jerseys with stripes look amateur and incomplete.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Not the best update. Surprised they kept the (negative area) adidas stripes on the side. Collar is downgraded and numbers are still lacking imo. I don't like the blocky look, would be much cleaner with an different color outline. So much potential, sub par execution.

I have to say, this recent wave of changes has brought out a lot of odd moves across the league. The Pacers' circular wordmark, the Blazers keeping silver and mismatching text/number outlines, the Pistons switching colors on the dual stripe, and now the Hornets with the collar and replacing "Charlotte" with "Hornets" on the teal set....its all just random and I don't see much reason or rhyme behind a lot of choices being made by these teams. And then you hear of extremes like the Jazz potentially getting a gradient alt and it just about tips the weird boat over altogether.

I don't know what to categorize the full Nike switch as so far. It's neither great nor bad, and there isn't really even anything save shoulder trim cutoffs that templates are drastically effecting on these uniforms, so there's no disaster to chalk up to simply a bad template yet. It's not like Reebok Edge, NHL-to-Adidas, or NFL-to-Nike in that vein. It's just weird, odd, random quirks that teams for some reason are pursuing, and it's amounted to the great Confused-Mark-Wahlberg-face-.gif of league-wide change offseasons.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, suns1977 said:

Right now it's a big bowl of MEH for me regarding the Hornets.  

It just doesn't pop, and I was expecting that with their color combo.

The Hornets uniforms are very boring.  I've never liked their new identity, hard to put my finger on what I don't like -- might be the numbers.  I hate to become a full-time "the past is always better!" guy but I strongly prefer the look from the Baron Davis era.  I know this isn't exactly a new thought or idea, but an update of those uniforms would be the way I would go.  Or hell, just make em exactly the same.  Long live the era from when I was a kid!!!!

baron-davis-304.jpg

90758391980.gif

Archived