NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It would appear you're wrong. Welcome to the present old man.

...sponsor logos shouldn't belong on sports uniforms...

36 minutes ago, alecgoff said:

new timberwolves jersey.png

That's really good.  I like how the shorts mimic the tops, just upside down.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Please remember to discuss new unveilings in team-specific threads. If one does not yet exist, do not respond in this thread. Instead, create a new thread and post your comment there.

I split off discussion on the Suns uniforms to its own thread, and created one for the Clippers unveiling tomorrow. Please limit discussion of those sets to those threads.

And for posterity:

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, Bradbury said:

A clean transition to the Nike template for Memphis. I like that the white jersey ditched the navy arm trim while keeping the blue collar.

I'm hearing the Grizz will keep the black MLK set (minus sleeves) for their "Community" uniform. My source hasn't heard anything about the other (Athlete?) edition, so not sure if the lighter "Beale Street" blue set will make the jump.

EDIT: The Grizzlies' release notes call the two remaining editions "Statement" and "City," which while stupid still sounds better than whatever Nike was peddling earlier.

Semi-related news: NBA schedules should be released next week.

Glad to hear the MLK set is returning. Not sure what I want from anything else. I always thought that the Beale Street blue set was the worst of the bunch. 

Before the reveal I was kind of hoping for a new uniform design, but seeing just the slight upgrades that have been made, I'm okay with staying put with the current design. The only thing I really wanted was a return to the old numbers that matched the wordmarks.

j5ZniT5.jpg?1jlIWBzR.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jack Holmes said:

Grizzlies and Rockets have transitioned very poorly to Nike's template, the designs completely fall apart (why can't Nike do curved side panels?). I hope this forces them into seriously thinking about a redesign/rebrand soon.

We couldn't agree more. Rockets should adapt those black unis into white, and red versions and call it a day!

shado_logo.gif

Did the Magic lose that weird swoopy stripe at the bottom of the shorts? If so, underrated upgrade. The Disney sponsor is probably also the least offensive of all of the sponsors so far.

I remember really loving the Grizzlies set like 10 years ago. I'm still fine with the color palette, and it is a little more unique now that other teams (nuggets, jazz) have gone away from the light blue + dark blue fad from the mid 00's. BUT at the same time i don't think it has aged particularly well... possibly because of small downgrades like losing the inner stroke on the number font and losing the logo from the shorts. It makes it seem way more plain.

EDIT : good point in the posts right above-- the nike template doesn't do wonders for these curved design elements. that also downgrades the Grizz look a bit.

I like the current Magic uniforms, and these small changes makes them look even better IMO. It also looks like they removed the double outline on the wordmark and numbers, making it just a solid black outline (it used to be a silver inner outline and a black outer outline)

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

Magic comparison 

IMG_9445.JPG

More pinstripes, modified side panels to adhere to the new template, blue collar, "MAGIC" on the waistband, obligatory Nike and sponsor patches.  Looks like the Orlando wordmark is further down from the collar as well. Also, it looks more arched in comparison to the pre-Nike version.

Some minimal upgrades, but this identity would benefit from using stars on the uniforms. Maybe a sublimated pattern on the side panels and adopting Minnesota's new font help (that font looks like an updated version of Orlando's number font from 1989-1998. And while I don't think the Nike template would allow for it, a small star hanging from the bottom tip of the collar. That would be a pretty good combination of elements from the team's different uniform eras.

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Also, looks like with the Magic jersey, there are a few more pinstripes than before.

There definitely are. It looks much better, IMO.

While I generally loathe the new NBA advertisements, I have to say - is there a better possible fit than Disney and the Orlando Magic in the entire sports universe? Glad both sides were able to make that happen. (Outside of the Indian Packing Company rising from the dead and sponsoring the Green Bay Packers, of course. ;))

Archived