NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Spurs new jerseys are not a downgrade, but not an upgrade either.  They just wanted it to make them look simple especially with the transition to Nike.  

OTOH, I like what the Suns did to the jerseys, looks a lot better compare to what Adidas did to them.  Nuggets unis are meh.  The Timberwolves on the other hand, just don't want to make cleaner, better uniforms.  They try too hard to make a decent jersey, that it turns it seems to get worse in time.  If they would scrap the stripes on the top of the jerseys and the shorts, everything would have turned out great.  I wish they would also scrap the navy blue since it was NEVER was a color for the Wolves, and kept the royal blue as their primary.  IMO the Wolves would have a Top 5 uniform, instead of being in the Bottom 5.  Oh what might have been.

Interesting that the Mavs release refers to the third and fourth uniforms as Statement and City Editions, respectively. I remember seeing Statement in place of Athlete's Mindset somewhere yesterday, but City in place of Community-Inspired seems new. I originally didn't mind new terminology, but if it's not going to be consistent then let's just go back to home, away, alternate, etc.

I'm gonna disagree a bit here and say that the Spurs were in need of a slight refresh... their look, while iconic, is so boring. The shorts logo and the wordmark simplification I kind of like, its the type of subtle change that can switch things up and align the uniforms with the modifications they made to their branding, while also keeping it obvious that it's the Spurs. BUT the cut of the arm trim, the side panel overlapping, and the bottom of the shorts are all annoying downgrades. One step forward, one step back. All that said, my favorite look of theirs is the black on black numbers. While not as legible, it was a unique feature that you didn't forget.

I'll go ahead and say it: while I like some of the transitions over to the new Nike template, they're not a marked improvement over Adidas. The template is flawed and impedes a lot of design elements that leave a lot of teams, particularly carryovers from Adidas, noticeably compromised. Overall, it's been a pretty frustrating marathon of reveals with only a few decent showings. Nothing looks great unless you're a fan of the few teams whose core designs were able to translate pretty well to the template (Kings, Wizards, Hornets, etc.). Honestly, it makes it all seem as if Adidas wasn't all that bad. Yeah, the sleeves were arguably the worst part of their run with the apparel license. But other than a few concessions, teams were able to incorporate more of what they wanted and look less cookie-cutter as a result. I'd say most of the league looked pretty good overall last season, with some obvious exceptions like the Clippers and Hawks.

In sum, the grass isn't always greener and so on...

27 minutes ago, bucky_bleichert said:

it's hard for me to really tell, but it looks like the knicks removed the silver from their uniform?

Nope, it's still there:

IMG_6837.thumb.JPG.77919c065bf8c357101c66e73f642a7a.JPGIMG_6838.thumb.JPG.f54080ef5ca4d8489847a20d1e56ee81.JPG

Also, here's a couple clearer shots at the Hawks' "Icon" uniform:

IMG_6831.thumb.JPG.95bcb8c68bd53614f5178f2dbcfe47f8.JPGIMG_6832.thumb.JPG.4f901226e9c3c23a50f4292fe002b133.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived